SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  DOWNHILL / SPEEDBOARDING / LONGBOARDS  »  The reason for skateboarding
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

The reason for skateboarding

Stubbs
Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Since we have a longboard section now and longboarding is likened to surf style, as all skateboarding should in my opinion, due to the fact that skating is a product that came directly from surfing. Surf the earth style is what I like to call it. My entire outlook or perspective on terrain is, pardon the pun, it's all one huge concrete wave. I get so much pleasure from going through a deep end carve with both hands behind my back, leaning back and just letting the terrain take you where it will. Thats why loose trucks with nice, spongy bushings are soooooooo nice. Skating is about turning and flowing constant motion to me. I almost hate doing axle stalls just because I have to pause. I mean, I do them when I have to but it just seems like such a waste of time and effort when I could be doing a big, fat carve on my make-believe Pipeline break right here in Texas. It's wierd that growing up in Oklahoma how strong of an affinity I had for surfing. Don't ask me how or why but I did. I remember as a kid picking up surf mags and skate mags since they seemed to be intertwined. After seeing Russ Howell in a commercial for GT (GrenTec) Skateboards I had to have one. It was late 1974 and cold outside and mom took me and my brother for TG&Y on 74th and Penn in Oklahoma City and we got our GT's. I an orange one, my brother a yellow one. I still have that little, plastic pin tail board that was the very beginning of my obsession with the four wheeled toy. After a week or two I knew then I would always own a skateboard. Even though I played traditional sports, including football into college, my boards were there.

I am most intrigued with the ability to move a skateboard around anywhere in any terrain with all four wheels on the ground and keeping and gaining speed by one of the most simple forms of self propulsion known to man. Just endless slalom like pumps and quick accelerating turns that produce G-forces all through my gut. Salba calls it the "rollercoaster effect". I can't think of any better way to describe it, Steve.

The obvious reason for skateboarding is fun BUT, the real reason is this formula that have put together for any NCDSA'rs:

SPEED + STYLE + FLOW = SURF THE EARTH

Whatever...I'm drinkin' Shiner!

Cheers from Texas!!!!!

Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:18 am Reply with quote
Joined: 09 Aug 2002 Posts: 4822 Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Stubbs,

I agree with your post in wholeheartedly. I was lucky enough, as a pup, to have a few first generation guys to learn from, as well as the remains of Flying Wheels skatepark only 45 minutes from my house. A few of us younger guys really took to riding the banked runs, the half pipe (no flat) & the frist 1/3rd of the remaining snakerun. Just hauling ass & turning, four wheels down.

It ultimately ruined me on the stairs, rails & the ollie variations that my peers were concentrating on. The jerky, quick snap-landings felt alien. But, in retrospect, I think that it also helped me keep my interest of the "sport" more in focus of it's original intent.

I'm not bagging on the modern style, in fact, I have nothing but the utmost respect for the guys who can huck themselves down a 20 stair rail and come away clean. That shit's gnarly. I just really love the clean lines & downright style represented in the classic form.

Skateboarding kicks all the ass.

[ This Message was edited by: zodiac13 on 2003-12-19 00:19 ]
ghostcavalry
Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:29 am Reply with quote
You reminded me of my 'humble beginnings', Stubbs! I was about 7 and found this kid's book at the school library called 'Broderick' about a land-locked mouse who dreamed of surfing and ends up going to the Pacific coast with a mouse-sized surfboard he made from a tongue depressor! (With his tail he could hang eleven!) I wanted to SURF so bad from then on, and I too, was basically inland too far to make it feasible. In my early teens when skateboarding was enjoying a comeback and vert skating was born, there was this new outlet for the surf craving I'd had for years, luckily. I've always loved the feeling of surfing the earth, even when it was on a 29" solid oak skateboard. We never had empty pools around here, but in the mid-seventies we had 2 concrete skateparks, so I got a feel for 'concrete wave' riding. I was hooked from then on. Alas, the concrete parks have long since vanished. I will continue to look for skateable places around here of asphalt and concrete, and look forward to longboarding the half pipe...
Stubbs
Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Cool....
Slim
Posted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Sep 2003 Posts: 2954 Location: pedro point, nor cal
Stubbs is really on to something here.

We moved to the valley as a kid and didn't get back to the ocean until college (santa barbara). So I grew up skateboarding. As I didn't get really hardcore into it until the early 80s, this meant mostly backyard ramps, though we'd occasionally find a pool for some carving. But because of the ramps in my own backyard, I don't have much of a surf-style on vert to this day. I'm still way too back and forth. It sucks, I know.

But I surfed regularly, sometimes daily, from '86 till a year ago when I moved back out here to the valley. I road a twin-fin for most of the 90s and then stepped up to a longboard around '99 and so I have the total old-school soul surfer big arch carving style in the water. (as opposed to the modern hurky-jerky surf style that is analogous to kick-flip skating)

My feelings on the two activities is that there is so much more that surfing offers that I can't get from skateboarding. When I started surfing, I realized that skating before then had been like singing gospel music without believing in god. Or being a white boy playing blues music. It was "fun" but missed the deeper point. Now skating is something I do to trigger in my brain and elsewhere reminders of the lessons that I've learned from surfing. Sure, skating is fun, but after surfing so much, skating has become more a medium to take me to another place than an activity in and of itself. Riding a skateboard requires many of the same body motions and in using my body that way, I think I trick my brain/soul/whatever into thinking that I'm surfing and all the good stuff comes flooding back into me.

When Shitbird gets the new deck production going, I think I'm going to step up to a 36" or so and just cruise...

-Slim

[ This Message was edited by: maraboutslim on 2003-12-26 21:24 ]
atxJIMatx
Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 12:50 am Reply with quote
hell yeah.
4 wheels down and rolling fast, high-G sticky wheel turns and carves.. fucking love it. Never cared much for tricks... took time to learn.. and I'd rather use that time riding.........
I always say.. "if more than 2 of my wheels come off the ground.. something real, real bad is probably about to happen..."
I have my doubts as to how graceful it looks (hehe) ; but in flowing turns and drawing lines i find myself a state of grace unlike anything in the world... there are moments, when I am skating, when I know that, for me, perfection is achieved, for the briefest moment...
again, let me emphasize the fact that all an external observer is likely to see is a guy who needs to lose 20 lbs, acting like he's 20 years younger than he is,and probably not doing that great of a job of it.... haha
but the glide... and the feeling... hell yeah.
Ceasar13
Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like the longboarding forum is mostly to be dominated by soulcarvers. Hmmm, never been one myself. Most of my longboarding is speed downhill and sliding. If I am not doing that I ride new school mostly, but I can kind of understanding the flowing thing when I am in carving some of the parks up here in oregon. Seems like just carving down the road would really bore me though.
atxJIMatx
Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:54 pm Reply with quote
not at all
banks,
ditches,
pools
parking garages
almost never ride down the street these days...
ours arepaved sith some nasty shit
Ceasar13
Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Hehe, I know all about that. Live in salem oregon so we gotsome trash roads too.
atxJIMatx
Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 7:45 pm Reply with quote
glad you could decipher my post.. new keyboard and everything feels a little off.

yeah, our streets are all paved with tarry shit with marble sized sharp gravel poking thru it... ugh. not even good with 75a's.. will take chunks out of harder wheels....

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next