SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  DOWNHILL / SPEEDBOARDING / LONGBOARDS  »  re:Set-ups for the Mighty Numbchuck
Page 1 of 3    Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

re:Set-ups for the Mighty Numbchuck

chrisolden
Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:44 pm Reply with quote

Howdy,
I'm sitting here looking at my Numbchuck trying
to decide on a set-up for it; trucks and wheels
are where I'm stumped. I LOVE Seismics on my
Hustler and BDS Longboard, but I was wanting
to know what the rest of you Numbchuckers are
riding?
I really dig the shape of the Numbchuck and am
anxious to set it up.
Thanks!
Chris Olden
Pool-Skater
Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Seismics. Either 155's or 180's, depending on your wheel choice. Go quick/45-deg up front and stable/30-deg rear. The wheelbase on the 'Chuck is plenty long, so the Seismics can be run "loose" (yellow springs up front, green in the back).

If you want to use a conventional truck, try a Grind King Thunderbird, Krux 6.0 or "The Man," or Indy 169 or 215, or Tracker Sixtrack or 184mm Dart (width will depend on wheel choice). Wedge the front truck (fat end facing inward), and put some good bushings on 'em.

With that extra wheelbase (compared to a Hustler), you'll want something that can turn a little quicker. I wouldn't go so far as to run two quick Seismics or two wedged normal trucks, however.
letsgoskatepool
Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:40 pm Reply with quote
if you want something that will turn a little quicker, dont go with the trackers!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
atxJIMatx
Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:33 am Reply with quote
I'm running 2 quick seismics on mine... harder springs in the back, though........
the seismics are 155s and they fit fine... but i'd rather have em a little tucked under than sticking out, which the 180's ARE gonna do.....
grandpa ronin
Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:04 am Reply with quote
Joined: 05 Sep 2003 Posts: 760 Location: 3 Feet Below the Coping
Wedged 169's front and back work great with an offset wheel.
215's are too big and slow and will stick out with a centre set wheel.
I've got 180 Seismics in the mail but its snowing up here so I won't be testing the Seismics anytime soon.
They should've never changed the original graphics (bruce lee) on that deck.
dewey haftu
Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I got my Numbchuck today and it is bitchin'! It is really wide for 9.5". I ended up cannibalizing another board to get a set of Webb 10" trucks for it, as Indy 166s are way to narrow. I put Shitfires 63.5s on it, and got wheel bite right of the bat on the sidewalk, so I threw a set of Bones SPF 60mm on it until I can score a set of Blackfarts. I haven't had a chance to ride it on tranny yet, but it is the best looking board in my quiver, and I'm sure it will skate much the same. The fucker just feels right on... I can hardly wait.
Pool-Skater
Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:12 am Reply with quote
Risers are your friends. I, personally, like a taller wheel on a bigger board like the Numbchuck (or Hustler). The difference in *radius* between a Shitfire and Blackfartz is less than 2mm, so you wouldn't need anything huge. We stock risers in 1/8", 1/4", 5/16", 3/8", 1/2", and 9/16" (oh, and wedges, too). A little something for everyone.
wreckordist
Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I use Gravity wedges (front and rear) on both my BDS Longboard and my F13 custom (both decks have Tracker Sixtracks). I love 'em. I will be buying Seismics soon for at least one of these decks but I only plan on using the quick turn geometry trucks on the front with the stable turn geometry trucks in the rear (as per Chris Olden's recommendation).
I haven't tried any other wedged risers but I'm sold on the Gravity wedges.
dewey haftu
Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I've got wedge risers on my numbchuck, and I still got wheel bite with the big ones. That is the problem with 10" wide trucks. I get to try it out tomorrow afternoon and I'm giddy as a school girl.
Pool-Skater
Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Wedges plus thin risers (especially the soft ones) work great. So does a wood rasp.

Page 1 of 3    Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next