SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SKATEBOARD/PARK ADVOCACY  »  The tool we've been waiting for
Page 1 of 1    

The tool we've been waiting for

slob-air
Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:58 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
Scooters Leading Cause of Toy-Linked Injuries in Kids

By Robert Preidt, HealthDay Reporter

MONDAY, Dec. 1, 2014 (HealthDay News) -- Here's a sobering statistic to ponder before buying holiday gifts for your kids: A new study shows that a child with a toy-related injury is treated in a U.S. emergency department every 3 minutes.

Much of that increase was due to one type of toy: foot-powered scooters.

The researchers found that about 3.3 million children with toy-related injuries were treated in ERs between 1990 and 2011, and the toy-related injury rate rose nearly 40 percent during that time.

"The frequency and increasing rate of injuries to children associated with toys, especially those associated with foot-powered scooters, is concerning," study senior author Dr. Gary Smith, director of the Center for Injury Research and Policy at Nationwide Children's Hospital, said in a hospital news release.

Slightly more than half of toy-related injuries occurred among children younger than 5. Children under 3 years of age were at particular risk of choking on small toys and small parts of toys, the findings showed. And there were more than 109,000 cases of children younger than 5 years swallowing or inhaling "foreign bodies" during the study period, or nearly 14 cases a day.

Injuries involving riding toys such as foot-powered scooters, wagons and tricycles increased as children got older, accounting for 42 percent of injuries among children aged 5 to 17, and 28 percent of injuries among children younger than 5.

Injuries involving ride-on toys were three times more likely to involve a broken bone or dislocation than other toys, according to the study published online Dec. 1 in the journal Clinical Pediatrics.

Falls (46 percent) and collisions (22 percent) were the most common causes of injuries caused by all types of toys, the investigators found.

The researchers highlighted the dangers of foot-powered scooters, which accounted for more than 580,000 injuries between 2000 and 2011, or about one every 11 minutes.

Smith offered some safety tips for parents and caregivers.

Read and follow age restrictions and other manufacturer guidelines for toys, and examine all toys for small parts that could pose choking hazards for small children.

Restrict the use of riding toys to dry, flat surfaces away from traffic, and closely supervise any child who is younger than 8 on a riding toy. Make children wear helmets, knee pads and elbow pads when they use scooters and other riding toys with wheels.

Check the federal government's recall website (Recalls.gov) to see if toys you own or plan to buy have been recalled.

And remember, they make your kids look like kooks!

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/...-injuries-in-kids

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:35 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
They must be stopped!
bltvah
Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 08 Jul 2014 Posts: 1071 Location: Gatineau, Quebec Canada
Thank you for that tidbit from the people who are so kind to KEEP PUTTING INSTRUCTIONS ON SHAMPOO BOTTLES because we still HAVEN'T LEARNED ANYTHING AS A $^$%$ SOCIETTY!!!

Sorry - my common sense sometimes brings out the anger in me

Blue TG Dagger with Wheel Wells
Any colour:
Neptune Shark Tail
Grosso AiW
Lucero Creature X1
Salba Witch Doctor
wikked
Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Bookmarked for future use

slob-air
Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:46 pm Reply with quote
bltvah wrote:
Thank you for that tidbit from the people who are so kind to KEEP PUTTING INSTRUCTIONS ON SHAMPOO BOTTLES because we still HAVEN'T LEARNED ANYTHING AS A $^$%$ SOCIETTY!!!

You miss the point. We can use this to keep scooters out of the skatepark.

Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 08 Jul 2014 Posts: 1071 Location: Gatineau, Quebec Canada
slob-air wrote:
bltvah wrote:

You miss the point. We can use this to keep scooters out of the skatepark.

I don't see how, you limit scooters, what's next? Skateboards - just as dangerous in the wrong hands ++++ there are a ton more scooter peeps out there compared to skaters I find, at least in my area, parents feel more comfortable doling out for a $40 scooter (made out of aluminum, than a $100 deck made out of wood (aka the other other white metal) - and if there are more scooter peeps, this would explain the stats.

Blue TG Dagger with Wheel Wells
Any colour:
Neptune Shark Tail
Grosso AiW
Lucero Creature X1
Salba Witch Doctor
slob-air
Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Actually, no, they're not. Scooters far exceed skateboarding for injuries as does basketball, bicycles, football and hockey.

Page 1 of 1