SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  POOL, PARK, BANKS & PIPES  »  Backyard Bowl
Page 3 of 6    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Backyard Bowl

vortrekker
Posted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:49 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
This is exactly what I want!!! Perfect for a 50 year old body with a bad left hip. Going to make a sectional ditch running into a bowl like this. Please keep us updated on the progress.

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Sorry for the lack of updates. Progress is happening, but slow and not all that exciting. Having a family, a business and a skateboarding habit keeps my time limited. When I get free time I'd rather skate than shovel...

So I didn't have the excavators account for the thickness of the concrete and was hit with a shitload of rain. This meant that I needed to take 3" off everywhere and do a good bit of shaping. This was all shovel work and is now done. Next is leveling the top plates. I've got a good start on this. Pretty close to being ready for rebar and forms.

I had a bunch of pool block donated, so now have coping for the straight sections. The radius sections will be done with "beer can coping", the block I have matches the diameter of a beer can perfectly so it will all be consistent. I just got three hefty bags full of lidless tall cans from a buddy that works in beer canning.

Stay tuned...
Gunk
Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:37 am Reply with quote
This is EXACTLY what I always imagined when I do buy house in the future. Saving up next few years to make that happen.
Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:45 pm Reply with quote
warehouse wrote:
I'm sick of pulling weeds and mowing grass. Inspired to work on a plan like this. Keep the photos coming. Question: did you pick the plan view curves based on what coping manufacturers have available? Seems like a good place to start. Has the city , or Neighbours hassled your "inspiration" pool? I worry about how to deal with local regulators. I guess you could always just call it a fish pond

Somehow I missed this one. When planning the radius curves I mimicked what existed at bowls I like to ride. The shallow end has 6' radius curves and the deep has 8'. These are commonly used and coping is available. The 6' shallow curves are also good for whipping around and getting speed.

I didn't seek permits or permission. I did check with utilities before digging. After the dig, Somebody narced me out to the city and an inspector showed up. He was pretty nice but had some concerns about drainage, zoning and whether I needed a permit. He had to check with the zoning and planning departments. I was sweating for a couple of days but then he called and said I was good to go! I had violated no laws or ordinances.

I wish I knew who called me in so I could tell them to suck it. I know all of my neighbors, have been in my house for 12 years and had a ramp in back for years that never generated one complaint.

The fish pond thing was mentioned to me several times, but I'd be careful about that. Communities are sensitive about standing water...
Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:03 pm Reply with quote

Finally about ready to pour concrete. This has been a gigantic project. I knew that, but it's hard to grasp until you're in it. That said, if I had known what I know now it would have gone much much faster and easier. I hope to write up a full how-I-did-it when it's done, as useful info online is hard to come by.

It's gonna be sooooo fun.
Old_is_the_new_black
Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Doooooood.......that is so sick Looking forward to the full post and info dump as been playing with the idea of a small bowl in the yard, ya know for the new baby to play on in a few years
Colin05
Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 07 Jan 2013 Posts: 3666 Location: Sydney, Australia
Looks great!
Looking forward to reading the how-I-did-it write up.,

gheepup
Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:54 am Reply with quote
That is awesome! Looking forward to seeing the finished bowl complete with action photos. I wish I could do something similar.
snakesession
Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 04 Nov 2001 Posts: 1241 Location: Greenville, South Carolina
Wow that does look like a lot of work - but will be worth it! Awesome!

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Some stuff happened:

Page 3 of 6    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next