SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  DOWNHILL / SPEEDBOARDING / LONGBOARDS  »  Dropping In On a Longboard
Page 1 of 3    Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Dropping In On a Longboard

ghostcavalry
Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:51 am Reply with quote
Share your experiences and tips here!
letsgoskatepool
Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 4:20 pm Reply with quote
just like on a shortboard to me! just takes a little more balls... oh wait, that doesnt work for you...
seriously though, its just like on a shortboard. the hard part is getting ready for the next wall.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Sk8Librarian
Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:07 pm Reply with quote
It is actually easier to drop in on a longboard than short board for me. I like having the extra length to and width of my BDS longboard because my feet tend to shuffle after dropping in. I have found having a deck that will give me the room to make adjustments while in motion makes dropping into bigger terrain less scary.

Andrew
zodiac13
Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 09 Aug 2002 Posts: 4822 Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Dropping in is not a problem. But, if I haven't ridden my longboard for a while, I always forget & pop my front wheels off of the coping when approaching the opposite lip. I just space out on the wheel-base difference & it kinda freaks me out the first couple o' times.

Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Im with the librarian.... I am starting to become a longboard fanatic for the bowls...

Dropping in is much more comfortable for me,

even on my 33"er, it seems my feet are a little constrained..

my 36"er is nice and comfy... and my 42" well the drop in is nice, but Im still working on getting use to man-handling it in the bowls

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Pool-Skater
Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, what those guys said...

My shortest "main" board is a 36" Afroman Hustler. My other "main" ride is a 38" BDS Longboard. I actually prefer the length of the latter, but I like the concave of the Afro'. Next stick will be an Afroman Numbchuck.

For me, shorter boards feel like my shoelaces are tied together. I also have this sensation of leaning too far "over" the nose or tail. On a bigger board, I can relax more, loosen my trucks (more), and ride with way more confidence. Dropping in is MUCH easier (for me) on my long(er) board(s).
old6
Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:56 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
I have a 48" a 36" and a 31" and it seems The only thing I can safely drop in on would be a mattress.
Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Old6, RDS in Richmond is slippery as f***. Ya, your kids might might not find anything unusual about the place but their reaction times are about a millions times faster than ours.
If you can handle the ice at RDS then you're ready for the shallow at Hastings.
grandpa ronin
Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:29 am Reply with quote
Joined: 05 Sep 2003 Posts: 760 Location: 3 Feet Below the Coping
Ghost, buy a numbchuck (and paint Bruce Lee on the bottom for good luck) the rest will follow.
Some people like the chuck for everything but as someone who sucks I like the chuck for snake runs and LEARNING TO DROP IN. You won't regret the purchase unless you wanna bomb psycho hills.
Old 6, when are you hitting RDS next?
ciadanixy
Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Longboard saved my life. I took a 40 year nap, its all due to getting a drivers license. My last main was a homecut with chicago trucks and clay wheels. My start was a split skate. The kind that clamped to your shoes, even tennis shoes, when they really were for tennis. All you had to do was slam the heel clip with a hammer flat on the side walk. Pull the adjustment slider nut and bolt. And nail it to a two by four, or in my case, a stored to be used again, dresser drawer front, solid oak. Steel wheels, no control, sparks, and instant twig stops pebbles too. I just signed on here via Art of Skateboarding, and need all the help I can get to cover the last 40 I missed.
Sox Up.
Craig/Ciadanixy

Page 1 of 3    Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next