SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  BUSINESS, SHOPS & RETAILERS  »  mini in the shop ?'s
Page 1 of 1    

mini in the shop ?'s

lsu
Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:08 pm Reply with quote
we are about to finish construction of a mini in my friends shop and I would like to hear from any of yall that have ramps in your shops. I have a few questions and I would like to be informed of anything I might not realize.
Do you make riders sign a waiver?
What do you do if someone gets hurt?
Do you charge to ride? If so, how much?
Thanks in advance.
Nick
Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Yes, the waiver will save your ass. If someone is hurt, you call thier gaurdian (info should be on the waiver) if under 18 and they can decide what to do. Depending on the injury, you will know what to do for the most part. The shop that is in my skatepark has another shop with a mini in it and they charge $2.00 to ride it. You will need insurance for this ramp, you do realize that right? There is an association that exists solely on ramps in shops that has an insurance/waiver program that costs monthly. I will try to find the name, I am thinking that spausa is the abbreviation for it.. Not really sure though.
smalltownbrown
Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 5:29 pm Reply with quote
yep - you better cover your ass because some Parents are gonna sue you for everything you have if you dont get proactive on this now - is he Incorporated or an LLC, he better take this serious if its in a business. The shop here in brooklyn has some insuance program where you pay a membership fee once and thats all. They maintain a list at the register and check you in. No pad requirements, its nice. Try and call them. KCDC Brooklyn NY
Smakutus
Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 10 Dec 2001 Posts: 2932 Location: Meechigan.. Collect and Destroy!
I think a inshop mini ramp is very cool but it does seem as if those shops don't stay in business long.. Freakin' parents!

Outt..
Jeff.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
fromohio
Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:19 pm Reply with quote
look into the sportman and land use laws in Louisiana.

I know skateboarding is not anything like hunting and riding ATVs but in my state the laws apply equally.

In Ohio, a private land owner or business owner who allows the public FREE access to his private land or business for the purpose of recreational pursuits, is exempt from lawsuits by the users of the land. This law along with some well posted signs and some good rules should keep your friend safe. FREE IS THE KEY THOUGH. If you charge, you are liable no matter what.

I limit the use of the ramp in my shop to regular customers, old friends and skate bros that I trust. I only turn away kids who I've never met the parents of at least once. I simply tell them that they are welcome to come skate and hang out as long as the parents have come to the shop and talked to me at least once.

My shop is small and only has one person working htere all the time. ME. Therefore I can control the chaos and make things stop before it gets too out of hand and I risk losing my ass.

I would say if the ramp is properly managed and the "it's my ramp" syndrome doesnt take over the shop will greatly benefit from it. especially if it's free to the kids to use it. think about it...you are providing an essential tool to help market your store to your current demo group and you are facilitating the growth of an entire new market to kids who may have never tried it if you hadnt let them skate for free.

Besides...you never have a shortage of sessions and/or a hard time finding somebody to skate with you. AND you get a chance to teach the young kids that there is more to a mini ramp than dropping in to do blunts like it was a DAM PARKING CURB.
grind it slide it carve it have some dam fun on it for cryin out loud!

fROMOHIO

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:23 pm Reply with quote
thanks to all that replied. I have photos of the ramp on my site if you want to check it out
livi-skater
Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I don't like the thought of falling on that sheet of metal on the side.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:06 am Reply with quote
Whats the size of that ramp? I am building on for an after party to my companys main party, hahaha. Its going to be in a house and space is limited, but if you can make it work them I think it might work.
lsu
Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:51 am Reply with quote
it is 12' wide, 26" tall and came out to around 17' long
smalltownbrown
Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:37 pm Reply with quote
INSURANCE -

http://www.spausa.org/insurance.html

Page 1 of 1