SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  RAMPS  »  Five boards, one session at Raab Park (another setup added)
Page 1 of 1    

Five boards, one session at Raab Park (another setup added)

gheepup
Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:17 pm Reply with quote
The kids were gone for the weekend and my wife wasn't feeling well so I decided to head up to the skatepark for a session on the decrepit 5' halfpipe. Outdoor Skatelite wood ramps on concrete that are showing their age. Almost nobody uses the halfpipe and on a nice Saturday afternoon I was the only one on it for 3 hours plus.

I brought out four boards and went home later to grab the fifth board. The point was that now that I can drop in and hit the coping on a regular basis I wanted to see how the different setups compared to each other in the same conditions.

First setup:
Natty home shaped pig deck
Gullwing Pro 9" trucks
Khiro yellow bushings
1/2" urethane risers
Rainskates Black Rain 63mm 101a wheels
Rockin' Ron's Rocket bearings

By far the the fastest setup I have right now. Easy to generate speed and maintain a elevation and hit the coping.

Since I didn't have anyone with me I set up the camera on the railing and shot video and then grabbed frame shots from that. The railing would shake everytime I hit the ramp so my apologies for the blurry still shots.

Here is some video of this set up in action. No tricks so these videos might be a little boring to most. I am just stoked I can actually ride a little half pipe seeing as how I just learned to drop in for the first time ever a month ago and I am 46.

You may go to YouTube to view the video by clicking below...
YouTube Video

Now I want to learn carve grinds. Backside seems like the easier direction to learn them but going around in circles on the ramp makes me dizzy.

YouTube Video

So, that setup is fast, fun, loud and my go to board right now.

Second setup:
Sunburst resto noname pigish deck
Venture stage II trucks later baseplate
Venom purple bushings tall cones
1/2" Tracker light grey risers
Powell Peralta OG Mini Cubics
Rockin' Ron's Rocket bearings

Certainly not my fastest setup of the day. Almost the slowest, in fact. It's a truely fun old school board to ride with its mellow kicktail and m-tech type concave up front.

Here is one of my runs on it.

YouTube Video

Definitely much more work to get to the coping but a rewarding ride.

Third setup:
Powell Peralta Tony Hawk Iron Cross bottle nose (edit: bonite pre-XT)
Rannalli Trucks
Khiro red bushings
two 1/8" risers stacked under each truck
Powell Peralta OG Rat Bones 97a wheels
NMB Thailand OG sealed bearings
nose guard, rails, tail skid and regrip

I am not a big fan of the later 80's board shapes and this is the least favorite of my decks. Surprisingly this was my second fastest board of the day. It really wants to live on the coping like it has some sort of attraction to it which is a shame because those Rannalli trucks are in really good shape.

This setup really surprised me with how much fun it is in the halfpipe.

YouTube Video

I might be switching up the trucks on these first 3 boards and putting the red gullwings on the sunburst rebuilt, the white Rannallis on the natty pig and the raw Ventures on the Hawk?

Fourth setup:
Sims E Lester Kasai pro model Splat
Venture stage II early baseplate
Venom flourescent yellow bushings
1/2" urethane risers
Sims 63 two tone wheels
green matchie matchie tea party ABEC 7 bearings
rails, tail rails, tail skid and missing nose guard

This one is barely slower than the Hawk but not by much. It is the heaviest board of the bunch so that might be why its a tad slower than the Hawk. It's also the widest and flat. It's like riding a platform but I really do love this board. It's very capable and looks killer too.

It is in need of new grip though.

YouTube Video

I must have been getting tired by this point in the session.

YouTube Video

This board is awesome and I love it. Just wish I could figure out what nose guard fits on it. I am suspecting some sort of Variflex nose guard since it has Variflex rails and at some point had Variflex risers too.

I took a break and got some soft serve ice cream and went home to get another board just to see if I could ride it in the halfpipe.

Fifth setup:
Alva 8 x 30
Tracker Gnarly Mid-Tracks
Tracker new black bushings
1/2" Tracker OG light grey base plates
UFO orange wheels
Oversized OG bearings
nose guard and home made wood ply tail skid

I brought this board out because I like to ride it on occasion and now that I am feeling more comfortable in the half pipe I wanted to see if I could drop in on this thing and make it work. It's almost as heavy as the Lester and easily the slowest. It took a little time to dial in the trucks. With some work I was able to get it to the coping.

The frontside one wheel on the coping was kind of scary.

I barely rode out of it as you can see here.

YouTube Video

Narrow trucks hit the coping.

YouTube Video

I was able to put some fun runs together and found it much easier to generate speed on it frontside.

YouTube Video

This board is very unforgiving. The slightest little mistake kills speed immediately. The difference between hitting the coping, one wheeler or overshooting the coping is a matter of 3 or 4 inches. The next run after putting the camera away I dropped in and popped out backside unexpectedly over the coping to knee slide down the ramp. As slow as this board is it is the one board that got me the highest during the session.

Anyway, that was my five boards one session at Raab Park.
Thanks for looking.

Last edited by gheepup on Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:15 am; edited 2 times in total
gheepup
Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I was going to add this frontside shot of the Hawk too so here it is.

snakesession
Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:30 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 04 Nov 2001 Posts: 1241 Location: Greenville, South Carolina
Great thread! Wow you worked very hard on all this! Liked reading all the different set-ups and seeing the results of each. Fun us mid 40 guys can still have fun skating. Thanks for posting!

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:50 am Reply with quote
Nice going man! Great to see guys out there still ripping it and being happy with a good session!
slob-air
Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:14 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
Awesome!

I love taking a quiver to the park. There was a time we'd have a couple pool type boards, something more for street style, speed board, slalom rig and often something bizarre like a Hamboard, longboard or 12" pig just for shits and giggles.

Skating the bowl, then racing slalom followed by skatercross was always a great fucking day.

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:25 am Reply with quote
Thanks guys.

I went back today with yet another board. I was happy to see that the torrential rains of yesterday didn't wash debris onto the flats and the halfpipe was clean.

Another setup:
Sims Lester Kasai Splat
Gullwing 9" Pro (earlier version with the dashes next to Pro)
Venom purple bushings
1/8" risers two stacked under each truck
Sims 63 wheels
NMB OG bearings (not sure where they were made)
Nose Bone, rails, worn out tail skid, rear coper and lapper

This setup is surprisingly fast with OG bearings. Maybe faster than the other Lester? Maybe it's getting easier to generate speed after riding the Alva, kind of like swinging weighted bats on deck?

YouTube Video

The lapper and coper must go away. It just doesn't sound right when that coper hits the coping. Almost no noise, like it didn't even happen. This Lester needs new grip tape too but I am hesitant to regrip it. I don't ride this one as much as the other Lester but I might have to change that because I really do like the trucks and the lower feel with the 1/4" risers. This board is so much fun to ride and deserves to be ridden more often.

Next, I need to get the BDS Gashead out in the halfpipe and see if I can make that monster go.
yella70
Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:50 am Reply with quote
Great pics, Thanks for posting all of the set-ups. I only bring 1 board to the skate park when I take the kids but after reading this I will try to bring out a few to see how they react at the same spot at the same time. Appreciate all the effort that went in to your post, and looks like you are having a blast while ripping that pipe!
gheepup
Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Hmm....where in the hell did all my boring ass embedded YouTube videos go? I noticed other imbedded videos elsewhere are missing too. I will come back and edit in links to the videos later. Thanks for looking.

Page 1 of 1