SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  PRESS RELEASES, COMPANY ANNOUNCEMENTS, NEWS & SALES  »  Flight - New Powell deck contruction
Page 2 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Flight - New Powell deck contruction

EastCoastBP
Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:08 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Mine came in last night- box it shipped in was nearly destroyed but the deck was fine. First impression was that the board is extremely light and thin and rigid- I put it on the floor graphic side up and step onto the middle with the expectation that it would snap right away- I weigh 200lbs. It flexes like crazy and bounces back when I step off- like it never happened. I try it several more times and bounce around with the same result, super flexy and snaps back each time like it never happened.

I can't wait to get it setup and see how it rides- I didn't have any extra grip tape at home so I brought the deck to work so that I can get it gripped during lunch at the skate shop close to my office (FC Skate Shop), I believe I have an extra set of Indy 149's in the skate bag at home and I have a few sets of small wheels and a new tube of RocknRon's bearings- I should be able to have it setup tonight. Hopefully I can get out to Brook Run park this weekend for some test runs, I will also break it out with the kids in the driveway on Thanksgiving and see how it pops.

So far the impression is favorable- the deck is super light and super strong, I don't think the video of the car running it over was staged, this deck could be run over and still snap back. Once it is gripped and setup I will see how it performs. It is going to be interesting to see how stable the deck is with 200lbs riding it fast- it is so thin and rigid that I imagine it may flex and wobble, but I could be completely wrong (like with the step test).

Next post I will compare it side by side with my SC pop to show the differences in thickness and I will weigh them both to illustrate the difference in weight and will post up more pics.

Pics:
top shot- the shrink is really shiny and you can see the fibers

bottom shot- shrink is still shiny, nice clean graphics

bottom no shrink- bottom is really shiny even without the shrink (oh no, is it's future value worth less now that it is out of shrink???.... )

side shot- it looks like a regular board but is half the width, has several plys, and appears to have layers of black something in between

EastCoastBP
Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Got it gripped during lunch and couldn't wait to see if I had an extra set of trucks at home so I picked up a shiny pair of Indy stage 11 139's (didn't have 149's in stock and 159's would have been too large).... the concave on the deck makes it look like the 139's are too wide, in reality they are 1/4" inset from the edges.

The shop only had 1" hardware, the deck is so thin that you could go 3/4" and get less overhang. I will more than likely put in a 1/4" riser to take up some of the slack and give the deck a little lift for some larger wheels later on.

Will have wheels on it tonight and be ready to go tomorrow or Thursday.

EastCoastBP
Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Got some wheels on it today and 1/8 soft risers- Powell park wheels and some Bones Reds now, saving the Rockets/SC road wheels for later. Ready to take it out tomorrow and over the weekend.

Here is the deck next to my SC rider, definitely thinner and much lighter, center of gravity also seems lower with the thinner deck:

EastCoastBP
Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:12 am Reply with quote
Took the new board out for some driveway skating after eating Thanksgiving with the kids. The deck feels similar to my regular board except for the weight. Pop is the same, ollies a little easier with less weight, flip tricks took some getting used to- the center of gravity is different and/or the weight makes the board flip different. Almost had everything normal after an hour and would probably skate just the same after another hour or two. I may want to try it out with a set of lighter trucks like the titaniums and see how it does. Overall, it feels like my normal deck but with less weight.
Colin05
Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 07 Jan 2013 Posts: 3666 Location: Sydney, Australia
Thanks for the feedback ECBP.
What is the wheelbase?

Slob will be pissed that you went with Indy's instead of Ace's!

slob-air
Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:17 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
Colin05 wrote:

Slob will be pissed that you went with Indy's instead of Ace's!

Nope. More for me.

Thanks for the write up—enjoy the decks.

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:38 pm Reply with quote
I received mine as well. Powell threw in a sheet of grip for it.

I've been down with a sinus infection/cold for the past week though, so I haven't done anything with it yet.

Hopefully I can give a update/review soon.

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:59 am Reply with quote
Is this one of you testers?

You may go to YouTube to view the video by clicking below...
YouTube Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRmt_ygJH5w

EastCoastBP
Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Not us in the video, saw that one earlier. The wheelbase on mine is just over 14", ride is pretty stable, haven't experienced any additional flex yet even though it is much thinner and lighter.
stew
Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:38 am Reply with quote
Anyone notice that you can't mount trucks flush to the Flight deck due to the concave? I had to use soft risers and in the game of weight doesn't that seem like a flaw? the truck beds aren't flat at all on mine.

Page 2 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next