SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  RAMPS  »  Steel pipe coping metal types and sizes
Page 1 of 1    

Steel pipe coping metal types and sizes

Brent212
Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Trying to get some coping for a ramp I'm working on and it's turning out to be way more of a hassle than I expected. I always hear "just go to a plumbing supply" place, but it's fucking challenging just to find a plumbing supply place. Searching for it on google just results in a bunch of plumbers, and of the two places that I've found that seem to potentially be plumbing suppliers, one was a sort of office headquarters, and the other just doesn't carry steel pipe. I have found a couple that are further away than I hoped, so I'll check them out if I have to, but I was hoping for something close so I could go check out what they have before deciding on what to get. One of the places has nothing on site, but will order whatever I want, problem is, I don't know what the fuck I want.

Is the standard outer diameter 2.375"? That's what it seems like, as I've heard 2" pipe is what I want, and that seems to be the OD for all pipe categorized as 2".

Has anyone got any experience with 2.5" pipe (2.875" OD)? I'm kind of thinking a little bigger diameter could be rad, making it easier to lock into things like smith grinds. Basically more like pool coping. Just don't want to get it and then find out that it's not as fun to skate as 2".

Galvanized vs stainless vs black steel. What's the norm? Seems like the rust resistance of galvanized would be a pretty huge benefit. How does stainless compare with black?
Str8jakit
Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:15 pm Reply with quote
I would say 3 or 3.5 steel pipe would be sufficient. Stainless is way more expensive and more difficult to work with. The regular steel coping may rust but your trucks will clean the rust right off. 😜

Just my humble opinion.
Str8jakit
Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:41 pm Reply with quote
😜

Last edited by Str8jakit on Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brent212
Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:16 pm Reply with quote
3 or 3.5 as in 3.5 inch diameter?? That seems crazy big.
Str8jakit
Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:29 pm Reply with quote
You're right now that I think of it. Disregard my last post. The correct size 2 3/8. Honestly the last ramp that I worked on we used concrete Federal Stone pool block and absolutely love it.
Some people pour their own pool block coping using the empty beer can technique.
Good luck with your build and post some pics throughout the process.
Cheers!
SantaCruzDude
Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:27 am Reply with quote
My last halfpipe was 6ft... We used 1.5" outer dimension steel coping. We found that waxing it kept of fresher longer, and helped with grinds and board slides. Although, after a buddy slammed and broke his jaw and chipped his tooth on it, we eventually swapped it for a 2" outdoor rated pvc. Slides just as good, and pretty durable. There's a tiny lip, but it doesn't affect riding.

Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:23 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Got 2" on my ramp from Lowes 10 ft. pieces black steel I believe. Schedule 80 super thick can use schedule 40 for skating and what they call untested because your not gonna run gas through it.

blueballs
Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:55 pm Reply with quote

it's like 2 3/4 od.....inside 2.63 something like that

Page 1 of 1