SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  HOT DISCUSSIONS  »  Blind Gonz Skull/Banana reissue question
Page 1 of 3    Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Blind Gonz Skull/Banana reissue question

Raoul_Duke
Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:31 pm Reply with quote
So, I just got one of these and I had an old C&D version laying around - shapes are very similar but the dimension are quite different around the hips and tail of the deck. The C&D is about 8.6 wide at the front 2 holes of the back truck and the new Blind version is a bit over 9" - far less tapered than the C&D.

I do have an original Blind Gonz Mac and Cheese deck and that one is wider towards the tail, similar to the new reissue, and is probably from around the same period - makes me think that the new one is closer?

Question is, which is more accurate to the original?
poonlord
Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:34 am Reply with quote
I would guess more thought went in to the reissue than the c&d.
C&d boards seemed to just have era specific shapes that were fairly generic to several different boards.
eric102673
Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:18 am Reply with quote
I was going to double check the dims when my Screened Reish comes in.
Bought one mostly because I was curious how close they would get.
eric102673
Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:39 am Reply with quote
Got mine in yesterday. I haven't taken a tape measure to them yet, but let's put it this way. In person, nobody is going to mistake a reissue for an original if they know what the real deal looks like.

The first two thing I noticed right away as I was pulling them out of the box, was how overly thick the line work was. If you have the real deal, you know McKee did his damnedest to capture the VCJ look to his drawings. While clearly not as complicated, they were at least very clean in the line work. The individual lines have a clean taper and points.

The reissues that I received had fattened line work with fine details filling in and sharp corners rounding over. Think of it like a Xerox of a Xerox of a Xerox copy.

The second thing that jumped out was that the bends at the nose and tail are shallower. Not as steep.

I'll have to give them a closer look when I have a bit more time, but I had high hopes since these were official re-ish wood, but overall I'm not terribly impressed. Especially by the screening. I've had bootlegs that looked better. I might try and skate them so they aren't a total waste.

If anybody cares, I can post more about measurements later on.
If you wanna know something specific just ask.
Raoul_Duke
Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I don't have an original to compare the art but I'm not surprised there.

I compared the concave to the Mac n Cheese that I have and definitely see the difference there - the reissue concave seems directional. Agree that the nose and tail bends are less abrupt, like a smooth arc.

That said, I got mine as a rider and wasn't as concerned with these things. Seems like a nice solid piece of wood, and has pretty good pop.

If you happen to post the dims compared to the original I would be interested.
GETOCAT
Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:09 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
eric102673 wrote:

I might try and skate them so they aren't a total waste.

That's what reissues are for.I have an Albrecht Durer woodcut print because I obviously cannot afford the original,and even if I could whoever is holding prolly ain't selling.Skate deck collecting I'll concede is Pop Culture Art,but It's a little disappointing to hang a reissue on the wall.Seems to remind me of what I DON'T have.

Sk8 em'.

Raoul_Duke
Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I love reissues for that reason - skate them with no guilt. I remember even 10 years ago, you could barely find anything shaped let alone full blown recreations of classic boards. I bought a thrashed original Barnyard so I could ride it and not feel bad about it. Of course it sucked b/c the wood was old and soggy.
eric102673
Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:25 am Reply with quote
My "try and skate them" comment was aimed at the difference in concave. Which is to say I'm sure I can skate them, just not sure I'll enjoy the feel as much as the originals, given how much shallower the shape is from the originals.

I'm sure I've a photo before, but one of my favorite current cruisers is an original, so yeah, I'm used to the feel... I thought maybe I'd finally retire it. Now not sure I will.

My disappointment in the reissues wasn't because I wanted wall hangers, just that IMO if a company is going to bother making screens and reissuing a board, at least make it a credible copy of the OG. It wouldn't have been too hard to have done them up right, IMO. It's just lazy/shoddy workmanship for a buck. Not a surprise, but that's why I bought them. Just to see if they'd do the job right.

Still should stick a tape measure on them for posterity's sake. Will try and get to that this afternoon if I can get out of the office early enough.
GETOCAT
Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:52 am Reply with quote
Raoul_Duke wrote:
I bought a thrashed original Barnyard so I could ride it and not feel bad about it. Of course it sucked b/c the wood was old and soggy.

I set up an O.G. Saiz and almost hurt myself doing a boneless off a ledge.The wood was at the other extreme,bone dry and super brittle.

GETOCAT
Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:57 am Reply with quote
eric102673 wrote:
My "try and skate them" comment was aimed at the difference in concave. Which is to say I'm sure I can skate them, just not sure I'll enjoy the feel as much as the originals, given how much shallower the shape is from the originals.

That's cool. I've skated four or five of the Jesse Martinez Jailed Robot C & D bootlegs,love the shape and concave,no clue as to how accurate they were/are to the original.I'm not too picky as long as the shape/concave is in the ballpark and the wood's reasonably solid.

Page 1 of 3    Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next