SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  GENERAL DISCUSSION FORUM  »  Cleaning or disinfecting a dryer machine
Page 1 of 1    

Cleaning or disinfecting a dryer machine

Crazy Nick
Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:12 pm Reply with quote
A few months ago I had some kind of allergic reaction when my wife changed dryer sheets. I had to go to a dermatologist and he figured it out, and he suggested dye free and perfume free laundry detergent and no more dryer sheets.
My issue is, I live in a very large apartment complex where several people could be using the same dryer sheets that I had the reaction to so I feel like I need to take it a step further and clean the dryer before using it.
I was thinking about spraying the dryer down with rubbing alcohol before using it but I wasn't sure if the fumes might have some flammable reaction with the lint that is accumulated in the dryer lines.

What would be a quick safe way to clean/disinfect a dryer ?

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
Fire?

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 04 Aug 2012 Posts: 1095 Location: Western Pennsylvania
Tough call. I agree with Slob about the potential for a fire. I would try running the dryer one load to see how bad the remnants of the previous load affected yours. Maybe after an hour/run the odor and chemicals would be burnt or vapored away.

I use a natural laundry detergent with no odor or other crap and is made for sensitive skin, and I don't use dryer sheets at all. My wife was chemical sensitive and now it's just a habit. Frankly, all that good smelling crap they put in laundry detergent and dryer sheets is simply chemicals (that have pleasant odors).

Last Christmas my Mom bought me a laundry drying rack and I haven't used my dryer since. I know I've saved alot on my electric bill since I started using the rack. I learned to like mine, and suggest you try one.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQRS5ffxTU-JgdDegQ6t3e9fsVmHj52UN4SAvDtIEWv9Uxy7XeSJSdxgbetHZENbNyURYmTmaC&usqp=CAE

Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:54 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
I had never heard of dryer sheets until I read this, we just don't have them or hardly any people use them in Oz.

We have lots of sun here, where I live we rarely need to use the dryer, in fact ours was staying on hot all the time as the thermostat broke years ago so I disconnected the element and we now use it purely to blow dust and lint off our clean air dried clothes.

+1 on the rack idea, they are great and generally the warmth in your home will dry the stuff you put on them. Keep the dryer for when you really need it, and save some $$ and planet

Page 1 of 1