SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  GENERAL DISCUSSION FORUM  »  The OG Vato Skull
Page 1 of 1    

The OG Vato Skull

gheepup
Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:18 am Reply with quote
So, I found myself lost in internet land the other night and somehow ended up watching The Bones Brigade Video Show from 1984. It was poor quality and apparently missing a segment or two but I was enjoying the boards and skating. Then I noticed the graphic on the board that Lance Mountain was cruising around on.

Anyone know if this deck still exists and where it might be today? I think it would be a lot of fun to do a tribute complete. It sure would be nice to have better pics of that deck and set up.
sonicdan
Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:40 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
the graphic has been released several times as a 'modern pool deck' on Flip since 2009 or 2010… I rode one in 2010, here's a pic when I visited the Rom in London :

if you're looking for one on an early 80's Powell pig shape, I guess the Flip deck would make a good source for the OG graphic…

gheepup
Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I am well aware of the Flip graphic and that is actually the reason it caught my eye in the movie from 1984. If you look closely the old and new graphic are not exactly the same.

Nice pic, thanks.
sonicdan
Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:51 am Reply with quote
thanks.

ok, maybe my reply was a bit pointless then. your first post sounded a bit as if you had missed out on the Flip vatos, though.

not sure what you mean by the differences in the graphics. what if you blew up the flip version to the dimensions of a 10" pig vato?

and here's another thought : if there's differences between these versions and if that's what Flip released as a Lance Mountain pro deck - I doubt there's a specimen of the OG deck sitting around somewhere. Wouldn't Lance be the first to be able to lay his hands on the OG deck??

gheepup
Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:22 am Reply with quote
sonicdan wrote:
Wouldn't Lance be the first to be able to lay his hands on the OG deck??

Yes and Lance may very well still have this deck in his collection. I am pretty sure I have seen a photo of his collection within the last year or two but have not been able to find it yet. I don't recall if I saw that picture here or somewhere else? It would be interesting to see if that deck could be located in that photo.
Scotty T
Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:35 am Reply with quote
Looks like it could be hand painted from the video screen grab.

gheepup
Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:55 am Reply with quote
Well, I was digging around Lance's website tonight. There is a lot of cool stuff in there and I found it. Or more accurately one of three that were made for the Bones Brigade Video Show. The other two unfortunately were stolen. The artwork was done by Craig Steyck.

The Flip graphic appears to be quite true to the OG graphic. To me the graphic from the movie frame grab appears to be slightly different from the surviving deck but I do realize this could be due to the poor quality and motion blur of the video. Could that also explain the lack of purple squiggle and apparently uniformly white face? The location of some of the bigger scratches appear to be in the same places. Is it the same deck as the survivor? It very well could be.

Interesting side note: The surviving deck has no wheel wells.
Buddur
Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:56 am Reply with quote
Joined: 04 Aug 2012 Posts: 1095 Location: Western Pennsylvania
Been shredding a Flip LM for a year or so. Solid deck, and good feel under the feet.

And I agree as per the above pic comparison, the Flip graphic does look true to the OG.

Page 1 of 1