SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  HOT DISCUSSIONS  »  UK R.A.D. magazine/books kickstarter
Page 2 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

UK R.A.D. magazine/books kickstarter

sonicdan
Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:23 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
I wasn't born nor raised in the UK, but I spent some time in the UK right when I got into skateboarding (89-92)... so I could relate more to the British skate-media than to their French or German counterparts (Monster skateboard mag was pretty crap, actually) - the september '88 issue of R.a.d was my first skate mag (the one with Cab on the cover), Skate Action was my second! The first spine miniramp I skated was at a youth camp in Essex...
I was amazed at how evolved and "californian" the British skate scene appeared to me, at least when considering the skills that some Brits had (and still have)... In our tiny country over here, there were no more than, say, 30-40 skaters at the time and no skatepark at all!

So, to me, the UK had a skate-related meaning that must've been similar to that of California to a kid from some rathole in the Midwest... and both RAD and Skate Action were "messengers" of those worlds.

Not sure if I like the idea of paying £80 for a double-book, though, but I'll see.

Agreed on the Deathbox reissues - a Pete Dossett reissue would be neat. As far as I know, Mark van der Eng's Gouda deck is the only one that has been reissued (not on the original shape, though)...

jchan
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:21 am Reply with quote
Not British but backed instantly.

I heard they need 1600 advance copies to reach the goal.

One (!) coffee table type book is usually $40 so 2 for £80 incl shipping is not bad.

You won't be charged until next month so plenty of time to save.
steve-g
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:15 am Reply with quote
Stoked on this and hope it gets the funding.

Back in the '80s I prefered Skateboard! I liked the engineering / mechanical approach to talking about skate design. I was an apprentice toolmaker back then so it spoke to me. I like Skane and before he moved to Portugal I went to see him and he gave me his entire skate mag collection including loads of interesting '80s Brazillian mags.

Trawler's first book was a disappointment as he just reproduced photos that were printed in Skateboard! No new material there. I think the RAD book will have lots of unseen stuff which will be great; hopefully some good writing too.

Lots of nostalgia in skating right now. I'm waiting for a J Grant Brittain book which I think will be a thing. I long for a Dan Sturt book but that will probably never happen. Or how about a Cassimus book; a proper Mo.Fo book or a Stecyk book covering more than just '75-6 Dogtown.
chall5
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:12 am Reply with quote
https://skateboarding.transworld.net/p...-d-book-magazine/
chall5
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:16 am Reply with quote
double post, see above ^

Last edited by chall5 on Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
steve-g
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:19 pm Reply with quote
chall5 wrote:
https://skateboarding.transworld.net/photos/r-d-book-magazine/

Good interview.

There's a podcast interview-thing with TLB somewhere online* which is quite good. The interviewer doesn't really probe that much and they keep wanting to talk about themselves but there's some good info there.

* Here: http://wearelookingsideways.com/podca...im-leighton-boyce

Also; M-Zone ads in RAD, they were the best! What's the story behind M-Zone? There's gotta be a good article there...
Danno
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:04 pm Reply with quote
steve-g wrote:
Stoked on this and hope it gets the funding.

Back in the '80s I prefered Skateboard! I liked the engineering / mechanical approach to talking about skate design. I was an apprentice toolmaker back then so it spoke to me. I like Skane and before he moved to Portugal I went to see him and he gave me his entire skate mag collection including loads of interesting '80s Brazillian mags.

Steve pleased you had a good experience with SKane my only gripe about him was his putting too many pictures of himself in Skateboard! (however I prefer that to Jake Phelps behaviour). He was definitely articulate and I did appreciate the way Skateboard! (I found 1 unused Skateboard! and 1 unused RAD magazine sticker the other day) ran those technical articles. I can't think of other magazines (there must be one or two as there were so many) that tested how fast wheels were, the sliding qualities etc. I did not know he moved to Portugal but that was a smart move. Looking even better given this weeks developments in Blighty. I also found a copy of Skatebord Scene with Alva in Harrow's Performance Bowl on the cover. I doubt there's huge market for book on that magazine though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
steve-g
Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:46 am Reply with quote
Skane is on Facebook if you want some of his, in the words of Teresa May, 'robust' opinions!!

Great week in British Politics; is there anyone more hapless than our hapless PM?

I liked that Skateboard! Bought a durometer to properly test wheel hardness and in doing so showed the hardness inflation that all manufacturers do.

I learned how trucks work thanks to those arcticles; especially the kingpin angle. Skane's article on photograhy taught me a lot too.

Who was behind Skateboard Scene? Was in a distributor / manufacturer?
Danno
Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:52 pm Reply with quote
steve-g wrote:
Skane is on Facebook if you want some of his, in the words of Teresa May, 'robust' opinions!!

Great week in British Politics; is there anyone more hapless than our hapless PM?

I liked that Skateboard! Bought a durometer to properly test wheel hardness and in doing so showed the hardness inflation that all manufacturers do.

I learned how trucks work thanks to those arcticles; especially the kingpin angle. Skane's article on photograhy taught me a lot too.

Who was behind Skateboard Scene? Was in a distributor / manufacturer?

All the info I can find on Skateboard Scene is here

http://vintageskateboardmagazines.com/SkateboardSceneUK.html

It was published by Interlink Publishing co Ltd of 17 South Molton St. They look like a company set up to cash in on the craze years, although Ben Liddell and others contributed. It was full of mistakes from writers who evidently did not skate "I'm going to get wired to kickturns" is a particular favourite! That picture of TLB at Harrow's Performance Bowl in the link you posted makes me feel old. Going to give the podcast a listen. Thanks.

Amongst other stuff I found was issue 3 of Phat Magazine "Hot Stuff For Hoodlums". There are pics of a lot of great decks from 101, New Deal, Trust and Element, when they were Underworld Element. 43mm wheels are considered large at this point!

You're right (I know this should be in politics, sorry all) it's been a great week here. Trump's visit was a resounding success and has surely bolstered Mrs May's standing and longevity as PM.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jchan
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Now possible to pledge for only one book.

Let's do this!

Page 2 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next