SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  DOWNHILL / SPEEDBOARDING / LONGBOARDS  »  Trucks mounted to Nose and Tail of double kick deck?
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Trucks mounted to Nose and Tail of double kick deck?

TheJman
Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Bought a couple of these decks:
https://allhailtheblackmarket.com/stor...-skateboard-deck/

It's a double-kick popsicle type deck and 9"x33". I want to mount trucks on the angled faces of the nose and tail to make a low slung type of cruiser just for the hell of it. Anybody done this? Should I use longboard type trucks for this? The nose and tail are 20-degrees. What trucks would you suggest to achieve a stable cruiser type set up. Please don't suggest getting another deck. I want to use this one because of the graphic.
surfmurse
Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Done this myself once with a 10"x33". I say, use regular geometry trucks not RKP (aka longboard) trucks. The one I made, I used some long bolts, 1/2" flat risers with some 1/2" wedged risers with the skinny side facing the middle of the board and Indy 215's. This resulted in basically a low rider board with really wedged regular geometry trucks which will make it super turny. I also had ran some 3DM slalom wheels, 75 mm tall and 74a hardness. Have fun, hope this helps and post pics of it when it's done.

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:25 pm Reply with quote
surfmurse wrote:
Done this myself once with a 10"x33". I say, use regular geometry trucks not RKP (aka longboard) trucks. The one I made, I used some long bolts, 1/2" flat risers with some 1/2" wedged risers with the skinny side facing the middle of the board and Indy 215's. This resulted in basically a low rider board with really wedged regular geometry trucks which will make it super turny. I also had ran some 3DM slalom wheels, 75 mm tall and 74a hardness. Have fun, hope this helps and post pics of it when it's done.

Hell yeah man, thx for the advice. I really had no clue which way to go with this as I don't really know jack about this sport yet. Great to hear from someone who has done it. If you don't mind one additional question, how close to the edge of the board did you mount the trucks? I'm thinking I'll drill the outermost holes about 1-1/2" from the end. What do you think?
slavadov
Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Those were affectionately referred to as "shlongboards" once upon a time...a truncation or portmanteau of "short longboard." They're tons of fun, like surfmurse said, and a cool little platform for experimentation.

One little detail though...as you move the trucks to the kicktails, you're effectively wedging the trucks and altering the geometry, which will make them turn quicker and be less stable. You're creating the situation pictured in the top picture below just by way of moving the trucks:

This can lead to instability (speed wobbs), or getting the kingpin hung up on debris, as the back of the truck is kicked out a little and the hanger won't provide as much protection. That can easily be corrected though, with some wedged risers to counteract the kicktails, by placing the wedges with the fat end facing outward. But, that's just me being a huge fuckin' nerd.

Slap some Indy 169's on that bitch and go nuts!

TheJman
Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:05 am Reply with quote
slavadov wrote:
Those were affectionately referred to as "shlongboards" once upon a time...a truncation or portmanteau of "short longboard." They're tons of fun, like surfmurse said, and a cool little platform for experimentation.

One little detail though...as you move the trucks to the kicktails, you're effectively wedging the trucks and altering the geometry, which will make them turn quicker and be less stable. You're creating the situation pictured in the top picture below just by way of moving the trucks:

This can lead to instability (speed wobbs), or getting the kingpin hung up on debris, as the back of the truck is kicked out a little and the hanger won't provide as much protection. That can easily be corrected though, with some wedged risers to counteract the kicktails, by placing the wedges with the fat end facing outward. But, that's just me being a huge fuckin' nerd.

Slap some Indy 169's on that bitch and go nuts!

Thanks for your input as well bud. I really appreciate the drawing and the additional detail. I want the board to be stable, so both of your suggestions to wedge it back closer to flat is very helpful. One more thing dude, discovering they were called shlongboards just makes this project that much more appealing! Ha!
TheJman
Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:53 am Reply with quote
surfmurse wrote:

BTW, did you cut out wheel clearance on the ends of the board or did all those risers create enough clearance?
surfmurse
Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:18 pm Reply with quote
^^^ all the risers plus I used Indy 215’s so no wheel bite. Actually the only problem I had was the board flexing and bottoming our on hard turns, I actually used my vacuum bag and added an extra ply which solves that, IDK maybe I’m just fat lol

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:42 am Reply with quote
surfmurse wrote:
Have fun, hope this helps and post pics of it when it's done.

Here is the result. I used 62mm x 78a wheels with Indy 215s. A little flexy but it rides so low and smooth. I only used 1/4" risers tho and the nickel-sized chunk of hide missing on my left hand now is probably an indication I need more, HA! (wheel bite of course) I have a couple sets of 1/2" risers on their way. I think another 1/4" to 1/2" of rise will be enough. I did not de-wedge it tho. I like the sort of carvy nature of this set up. I live in Houston so it's super flat here, so no downhill to really deal with. It's gonna just be a push-board kind of cruiser.

surfmurse
Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Nice job

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Yeah dude, nice ride!

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next