SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  GENERAL DISCUSSION FORUM  »  Issues with board slides
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Issues with board slides

king
Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:26 am Reply with quote
Getting back into skating after taking a break for a few decades, one of the tricks I was most looking forward to doing again was board slides on double sided curbs. Back in the 80s, this was an easy trick and really fun too. Worked perfectly the very first time I tried them on my Powell Peralta with plastic rib bones.

I tried them again today on a modern board with no rib bones and had no success at all. The board will not slide. It just comes to a complete stop as soon as I mount the curb. Now obviously, bare wood is not going to slide as well as plastic but I was expecting some slide at least but I can't even get a millimeter. When I'm on the curb stationary, I can swivel the board around so that shows that it's slideable at least.

Any tips on getting board slides to work again? I know some people use wax but I'm not keen on that as it sounds a little dangerous. Plus I don't like the idea of depositing stuff like that in public places.
Buddur
Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:52 am Reply with quote
Joined: 04 Aug 2012 Posts: 1095 Location: Western Pennsylvania
Go faster.

There is an inverse relationship between speed and friction.

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:12 am Reply with quote
Yea afterwards, I was thinking maybe I should have gone faster. Though that double sided curb is located in a town that I don't visit too much. There is another double sided curb in the town that I currently live in but the road it's on is extremely rough. So rough that it's hard to skate. Could be challenging trying to get decent speed on that kind of terrain too.
charlieee
Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:18 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 08 Dec 2007 Posts: 1253 Location: Tootgarook.....Australia.
Loose weight.

I don't mean go on a diet.

De-weight and feather the board until you fell its gunna bite...then kick it in.

Otherwise , just get some plastic......you'll slide off your ass....and then onto it....

How are those ollies going?.......or have you moved on?
JDN
Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:43 am Reply with quote
I use rails
90% of the curbs I skate are painted and waxed up.
Mostly waxed by others before me. Find one that's already waxed and haul ass don't lean back keep your body centered.

charlieee
Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:07 am Reply with quote
JDN wrote:
I use rails
90% of the curbs I skate are painted and waxed up.
Mostly waxed by others before me. Find one that's already waxed and haul ass don't lean back keep your body centered.

Dude , I reckon he only wants to slide a foot or two at the mo....Can't see King going full pelt at a curb just yet..

By the looks of your ollie videos King , you live in the bush.
Maybe you should just take a couple of stop sign ploles and drill them to an old railway sleeper.........prob solved........steel and wood is better than crusty old outback concrete.
king
Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:22 am Reply with quote
Interesting advice though I'm not sure how to shed grams from my board and I'm not familiar with the term 'feather' (google wasn't much help.)

With regards to the ollies, I had to take a break from skating due to straining the abductor in my leg. I have returned to skating but haven't resumed ollies just yet. What I'm doing at the moment is rolling off gutters with the front wheels raised. Hopefully, that will make the transition to ollies easier.
king
Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:07 pm Reply with quote
[quote="charlieee"]
JDN wrote:
I reckon he only wants to slide a foot or two at the mo

I'd like to slide as long as possible. Ive also discovered some more double sided curbs around here but they're in a space which is a bit tight. Plus they're painted yellow. Not sure how much harm a sliding skateboard deck will do to the paintwork but if there's some visible impact / wearing away of yellow paint, I don't think the council will be impressed. And wouldn't that be considered vandalism (even though any potential harm is unintentional)?
charlieee
Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:01 pm Reply with quote
De-weight the pressure you put on the board......like an ollie
If you jump up and and suck your knees in you can lightly glide your board along until gravity forces your full weight back on the board...then it's time to kick back in.
Feather just means letting your board float rather than having all your weight on it.

It only really works for short distances , but it may get you moving along rather than just biting and stalling.

If I were you I'd just put some rails on ya board.
Good luck.
king
Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:33 pm Reply with quote
charlieee wrote:

If I were you I'd just put some rails on ya board.
Good luck.

Yea I'm strongly considering that - just like I had back in the 80s.

Though recently, someone commented on a youtube video that his modern rails go loose over time. Guess ya could always re-tighten them when the need comes.

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next