SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  GENERAL DISCUSSION FORUM  »  First skateboard
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

First skateboard

baazinga
Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:59 am Reply with quote
Hello I am going to buy my first skateboard since i was a kid. I have looked at this one: https://www.kitedanmark.dk/nkd-skatebo...2904.html?v=12900

What do you think about it? Is okay for a beginner?

I know it is in danish, but the specifications should be readable anyway.
pweakland
Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:20 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
well, it does have this important feature:

Wheel Profile -- Round
baazinga
Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:45 am Reply with quote
pweakland wrote:

Wheel Profile -- Round

I see... Thought people would be a little more nerdy about skateboards on a site like this
baazinga
Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I guess i'll have to ask somewhere else
Danno
Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Don't buy a skateboard from a shop that sells canoes, stand up paddle boards and roller skates. I cannot vouch for this place I'm in London. But It's a skate shop. https://www.sidewalkshop.dk/ Also before throwing shade because of one reply you didn't like (BTW the answer was there "well it does have this important feature. Wheel profile round." What other shape would they be? That is sarcasm and tells you that shop has no clue. There are Danish people here.

Best thing is to say what type of skating you want to do and you'll get suggestions. But in short I would say hell no don't buy that board with its no name wheels (which are, at least, round) and horrible trucks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
zeno01
Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Danno wrote:

Best thing is to say what type of skating you want to do and you'll get suggestions. But in short I would say hell no don't buy that board with its no name wheels (which are, at least, round) and horrible trucks.

YES!!! This is great advice.

What was the last board you rode? Was it an 8.25" pop, with "good enough" trucks & wheels (round ?
If so, this may be your setup.

In the long run, it may be better to spend a little extra up front. If the cheaper skateboard is a clunker, it'll be not as fun, harder to ride, and you may say "aww, forget it!" and quit skateboarding, Again! Or you'll spend more money in the long run, replacing the inferior parts (wheels/trucks/bearings,etc).

If cash is an issue, look around. A quality used set up is superior to a new clunker (IMO).

Good luck, feel free to ask more/feed us more info.
The important thing (as always), skateboard more often, have fun!!!

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:27 am Reply with quote
Danno wrote:
Don't buy a skateboard from a shop that sells canoes, stand up paddle boards and roller skates. I cannot vouch for this place I'm in London. But It's a skate shop. https://www.sidewalkshop.dk/ Also before throwing shade because of one reply you didn't like (BTW the answer was there "well it does have this important feature. Wheel profile round." What other shape would they be? That is sarcasm and tells you that shop has no clue. There are Danish people here.

But sidewalkshop.dk, also don't have that much info about their skateboards - actually less than the site i linked in the first place. I see the stupidness describing the shape of a wheel

I just want a board that i can cruise on and learn some basic tricks
baazinga
Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:36 am Reply with quote
zeno01 wrote:
Danno wrote:

YES!!! This is great advice.

What was the last board you rode? Was it an 8.25" pop, with "good enough" trucks & wheels (round ?
If so, this may be your setup.

In the long run, it may be better to spend a little extra up front. If the cheaper skateboard is a clunker, it'll be not as fun, harder to ride, and you may say "aww, forget it!" and quit skateboarding, Again! Or you'll spend more money in the long run, replacing the inferior parts (wheels/trucks/bearings,etc).

If cash is an issue, look around. A quality used set up is superior to a new clunker (IMO).

Good luck, feel free to ask more/feed us more info.
The important thing (as always), skateboard more often, have fun!!!

The last board i rode was when i was like 12-13 years old, and i am 25 now, so i can't remember that. Some used, old, shitty board. I came to the conclusion that a 8.25" would be a good size for me. I watched some videos about buying a first skateboard on Youtube, on a channel called "braillehouse".

I also thought that i would't spend to much money on a skateboard in the first place, if i will get tired of it quickly or if i am just very bad at it
pweakland
Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:50 am Reply with quote
baazinga wrote:
pweakland wrote:

Wheel Profile -- Round

I see... Thought people would be a little more nerdy about skateboards on a site like this

I was just taking the piss...

Go to a skateshop so you can see and touch the board. Stand on it, see how it feels under your feet. Ask the dudes working there for advice. And always get round wheels! Or, I don't know, maybe these things:

Danno
Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:10 pm Reply with quote
My advice is get something decent. Have you heard of Google? I am pretty sure it exists in Denmark (sarcasm again ) I have taken a look at various places in Denmark. There's no way I can say which shop is good or not. Any skaters where you are? Ask them. You said you're 25. I know someone who bought their first board at 42.

Don't buy a complete generally they are lower quality in every way.

If you're looking for a standard street shape deck there are many. I guess import brands are costly in Denmark. They are here.

Look for an 8.25/8.5 x32/33 deck this is a good size for street and some park skating.

Trucks: you can't go wrong with Independent (selection appears limited). You'll need size 144 for an 8.25 or 149 for an 8.5 both sizes should work though.

Wheels: if you're skating street there are so many different sizes and shapes that's up to you. But maybe start with a 56mm. That'll work in parks and for street.

Another shop https://www.route-one.dk/ (they have a sale on) Now it's up to you. They have Independent trucks, a good selection of decks. Take a look at Euro and sale decks to save some cash. If you buy a deck trucks and wheels from them, they throw in bearings, hardware and grip. (maybe not on sale items, but you saved cash to pay for that stuff).

Held og lykke. No, I don't speak Danish. That's Google's online translator. A Danish skater killing it https://youtu.be/-xVjlitbCGw You have some sweet parks over there https://youtu.be/Otb3auK0R6Y

PS Braillehouse is not a great YouTube channel for skating info.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next