SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  GENERAL DISCUSSION FORUM  »  Dislocated Shoulder
Page 1 of 1    

Dislocated Shoulder

Buddur
Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 04 Aug 2012 Posts: 1095 Location: Western Pennsylvania
Hit Boyce skatepark yesterday and was flowing pretty smooth. Tried ollieing down the stairs and hit the last step and bailed, and just had to try it again. Went into it with decent speed and a shitload of confidence. On landing the board shot out from under me and of course I put my back hand out. Soon as my hand hit the pavement I got this immediate pressure on my shoulder. I knew something was fucked. My friends thought it was my tailbone was giving me the pain. Still lying on my side you could see this big concave area in my shoulder where there should’ve been muscle. All these decades, countless falls, etc. and never a dislocated shoulder till now. Andrew drove me and my kids to the hospital and assisted me in the ER, and George drove over and watched my kids. Things in the ER didn’t go as fast or as well as I anticipated.

First had to get an x-ray to make sure nothing was broken before they started yanking. When the crew finally came for the first yank they wanted to give me drugs. I declined and told em to just do it cause I didn’t want to wait any longer…but it didn’t work. They couldn’t get it to pop and man were they massaging my shoulder and pulling on my arm. Well, I accepted the drugs for the second effort…but that didn’t work either. I was sitting up for every time, then they came back for a third time and said to lay on my stomach to try it from another angle…and that didn’t work either. They had to put me out to get the job done on the fourth try after almost 2 hours.

Gotta thank the old school riders Andrew and George for helping me out, not sure how I would’ve drove to the ER as I was pretty crippled at the time. Was so hard just getting up and on my feet. before we left the park I asked them to Google "how to pop a shoulder back into place", and after it was all over, we all agreed I'd've never been able to do it myself.

Shoulder is pretty sore today. My tailbone even, turns out it took the hit too. Middle finger and side of my forearm from my pinky to elbow is numb. Been getting muscle twitches here and there. Hope this is all temporary….got plans to skate before the Iron Maiden show next Sat.

Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:49 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Man I know your pain, I did mine around 9 years ago first time, but I arrived at the hospital, took the drugs immediately (a big syringe of morphine) and they knocked me out immediately and put it back in before I could even realise they'd done it.

That was the easy part. The following year I dislocated it about another 6 times all skateboarding, put it back in myself after each one because it was loose enough to do easily by lying down and pushing the arm to 90 degrees from my body. Finally went and got surgery, fixed the rotator cuff and stapled a tendon to tighten it up.

All was pretty good until this year when I went rock climbing and got it into bad position, something has torn again, it's not dislocating but any excercise causes a bit of pain.

Good luck, go to a physio and they'll tell you if you should go see a surgeon. Tape your shoulder if you must skate next week but mine was fucked beyond skating for several weeks after the first one.

slob-air
Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
Ive seen a number of those happen at the skatepark. Horrible. Had a friend that did both shoulders. Brutal.

Sorry you experienced that. I can only imagine.

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:43 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
That sucks man. I popped mine out 5 or 6 years ago and tore up my rotator cuff muscles. Physio helped big time.

Bouncing back after injuries in your 40's is rough.

Good luck with the recovery!

Page 1 of 1