SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  GENERAL DISCUSSION FORUM  »  Buying setup for 1st time in a decade - welcome help/input!
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Buying setup for 1st time in a decade - welcome help/input!

BuffGamer
Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:17 am Reply with quote
Greetings, I most definitely welcome and appreciate your help in dropping some knowledge on me as I look to buy a complete deck for the first time in some 12 years. Some background - I'm 6'3, 200lb, size 13 shoe and recently started skating again after a 12 year hiatus. Old board is a 8.0 Girl, that has razor tail, rusted hardware, worn bushings and jacked trucks, and that feels too small. Welcome any and all input. Thanks!

WHERE TO PURCHASE: Where is the best place online to buy a complete deck? I remember CCS being a top choice back when, are they still legit? Any others worth looking at?

DECK: thinking of upgrading from 8.0 to at least 8.5, would 8.5 deck be large enough or should I consider going slightly wider? Any size 13 folks out there? I'm not sure how much larger I should or need to go to be more comfortable riding but still be able to mess around and do kicklips, fake big spins, and some other basic flip tricks.

TRUCKS: Leaning towards Independent Hollows. What size Indy trucks should I go with for the 8.5 or larger. Would the 159mm be too large for a 8.5 deck?

WHEELS: With my thoughts on a roughly a 8.5 deck, I was thinking about 56mm wheels. Does this seem like the right decision? Is there anything else I should consider or shift if I go to a larger board? Do brands matter here?

BEARINGS: it seems Bones are still top dog, but are the more expensive ceramics worth it? Or will Bones Reds get the job done?
zeno01
Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:36 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
I'd say check out your local shop, as supporting the local is always a good thing, but the COVID-19 thing... Anyway...

So, 12 years off, and now you want to get hurt again? Well, welcome back to hell... Didn't you know that getting broke off when your older totally sucks worse?!?

All kidding aside, there's so much that goes into personal prefrence for a skateboard, giving advice online can be tough. BUT if you've been off for twelve years, whatever you get is the setup that you'll probably get used to. If you want it, you'll learn to love it.

Some things to consider;
-twelve years ago, you had a different body. Accept this, and take care of it. Maybe consider some safty gear (I know, I know, it sucks, but it' may save you a lot worse hassles in the long run. You wanna be out recovering, or out skateboarding?) And probably some yoga, staying limber always helps.

-what kind of skating are you looking to do? Same as 12 years ago? Street? Transition? This will probaby be the most important thing to consider when getting a new set-up.

-Sounds like you have your old set up? That's a good place to start. You said it feels small? Thinking an 8.5" may be a decent idea. For an 8.5, 149s would probably work better. I ride 159s on 9" decks (than again, I just set up a Dressen Everslick that's over 9" with 149s, but it's got a bit of a shape to it and it works great).

-56mm wheels seem good. Over the years I was very true to 58s, but I'm down to 56s now. Again, the type of skateboarding is something to consider. You don't want to be getting wheel bite constantly if your just farting around on flatground.
I LOVE trying out all kinds of wheels, so my prefrences are constantly changing. It's like golf to me, different set up for the occasion. I don't recomend this, becasue than you end up with 8 set ups and... well, sometimes it's a fun problem to have. I currently like just a bit of a softer wheel when it's cooler out (97A), but drift to a hard Bones SPF when it's really warm out. On "street" I prefer a 92A OR 95A. Hard wheels on the street do noting for me.
I know, I'm a dummy.

As far as an online shop...
Socal Skate shop is kind of great, they have a good invantory, great service, etc.
Strange House is a rad online shop, Frank's a rad dude.
This Skate Shop Fargo is rad because it's my local and I'm tight buds with 'em. (Most of thier stuff is now online, due to the virus storefront shutdown stuff).
CCS went under, but is being currently run by Daddies, who seem to do a decnet job.

All the shops above have actual storefront locations, which is important IMO.
A place like, say Wherehouseskateboards.com, doesn't really contribute to the local skateboaring scene. Giviving back and supporting skateboarders and skateboarding is important. (Again, IMO).

Where do you live? Sorry for the long response...

Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:25 am Reply with quote
After a 12 year rest those flips may be a challenge!

Getting older is about coming to terms with losing your youthful abilities; do bear that in mind when you get frustrated.

I reckon go wider! I seem to be adding an inch every decade (deck not waist!). I'm currently running a 9.5" with 169s. My skating is all about slappies, shuv-its, no-complies, slides, ollieing little rocks... Think 1980s GSD or Blender.
BuffGamer
Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:18 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies!

Oh, I know, I am already very well aware the shinbites and falling to the ground from just messing around on flat seems to hurt a bit more than it did previously haha. Its all worth it as I forgot how good it feels just to be messing around on the board again, and really surprised what all has came back within a couple hour sessions. Of course I am wearing a helmet now, even for the basic stuff, gatta protect my dome.

Right now I am just doing tricks and messing around on flat ground, but when our parks open back up I plan to spend the majority of my time there doing all the things - mini pipes, ramps, rails, flat, and perhaps bowls/etc.

I am on the east coast in the greater DC area.
slob-air
Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:02 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
BuffGamer wrote:

BEARINGS: it seems Bones are still top dog, but are the more expensive ceramics worth it? Or will Bones Reds get the job done?

What seems to be the case and reality are lightyears apart. Bones Reds are pure shit—unless you suck and need to go slow then they are fucking great—the best bearings for mall grabs.

Bones Ceramics, Swiss 6 and Labyrinth bearings are decent.

Rockets, with a true labyrinth seal and the ceramic version are unbeatable. But you'll have to order those separably.

Pi wheels rule it—if you can find them. Their owner closed his doors recently. He also has some of the best decks. Hoping Rockets returns with their Blackholes wheels which are very similar to Pi.

Pocket Pistols Skates, Skaterbuilt, SMA, Black Label, Santa Cruz... can't go wrong.

I rode Indy for 25 years before Skip revealed to me how much better the early Thunder Trucks were. The best Indys were Stage II. Ace trucks, which is owned by a former Indy team manager are fucking awesome. They turn and burn like no other.

I have spoken.

Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:13 am Reply with quote
Since, you are new to this forum I would like to point out that the Rockets bearings that Slob speaks of are Rockin Ron's Rockets. That might help out your google search a little more. They are only available when they are available. Rockin Ron's will run a batch of bearings and when they run out, they run out. Eventually, they will run another batch but if you miss it you have to wait. Someone will post that they are on sale again and then they quickly sell out. So, if you notice they are on sale and you want a set I would recommend you jump on it quickly and buy a set or two. Awesome bearings.

Otherwise, I like Bones Swiss 6 but 60 bucks is a bit out of my price range with a family of 4 to feed. Bones Swiss Ceramics will run you 140 or so. Bones recently came out with Big Balls which are are the same as the Swiss 6 but much more reasonably priced and more than likely made in China. They seem to be plenty fast to me so far. I have only ridden them a couple times so I can't say much about their longevity. They are definitely an upgrade from Reds.

I don't have much advice for you when it comes to choosing a board. I skate transition only, mostly bowls so I ride bigger boards with longer whellbases. When the parks open up again you might consider picking up a board set up for transition and bowls to complement your street set up.

As stated above by zeno, pad up. Especially when you start hitting street features or dabbling in transition. Concrete is hard. Even with pads bumps, bruises and scrapes are going to happen, especially as you start going faster, pushing it a little harder and exploring your limits. Pads will just help to minimize the damage so you can continue to skate.

Have fun and welcome back to the world of skateboarding.
slob-air
Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
gheepup wrote:
Rockin Ron's will run a batch of bearings and when they run out, they run out.

Yes and no. When Ron runs out I usually have stock for some time after. I still have some stock now.

Ron is in production right now. We should see Rockets available in a week and Ceramic Rockets available a week later (not sure how many he will be able to do as the labor involved in each set of bearings is astounding).

Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:03 pm Reply with quote
slob-air wrote:
gheepup wrote:
Rockin Ron's will run a batch of bearings and when they run out, they run out.

Yes and no. When Ron runs out I usually have stock for some time after. I still have some stock now.

Ron is in production right now. We should see Rockets available in a week and Ceramic Rockets available a week later (not sure how many he will be able to do as the labor involved in each set of bearings is astounding).

Good to know, thanks.
Lincolnz
Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Slob, it's this guy's first set up in a decade. He may want reds first. Put Ron's under him and he may get scared off for another decade.

Nothing rips like Ron's.

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:09 am Reply with quote
BuffGamer wrote:
Thanks for the replies!

Right now I am just doing tricks and messing around on flat ground, but when our parks open back up I plan to spend the majority of my time there doing all the things - mini pipes, ramps, rails, flat, and perhaps bowls/etc.

Yeah Indy 149's would be best for for an 8.5. My "street" board is an 8.5 and doesn't feel tiny under your feet but is still small enough to flip.
If you're going with slightly larger wheels it wouldn't hurt to try some small risers or shock pads. It helps prevent wheel bite when you work your way back up to flip tricks.

If you don't have a local shop that's open during covid-19, give So Cal Skateshop a look (socalskateshop.com). They're great to deal with.

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next