SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  GENERAL DISCUSSION FORUM  »  Let's discuss Canada. Culture, people, quirks, politics.
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Let's discuss Canada. Culture, people, quirks, politics.

Sticks
Posted: Thu May 28, 2020 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 07 Feb 2003 Posts: 10327 Location: Raytown Travel Agency
American culture & politics are so tiresome & stiflingly omnipresent. Ugh, as Morrissey said "America Is Not The World."

Raddest things about Canada:

Canadian Content rules which allow talent to bubble up without the crush of corporate American media bullshit. Fuckin' DeGrassi could never happen here.

The Canada Council which supports the arts, pretty heavily even for bands. These Canadian punk dudes crashed with me once and we were discussing touring, specifically how the fuck they can make a go of it. They were like, "Dude, the government bought us a van."

Strong cultural ties to UK/Scotland.

The Canadian Vibe. Always cool and decent. I was up near Hamilton for work a while ago and the guys I was working with were the raddest.
GETOCAT
Posted: Thu May 28, 2020 1:43 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Good beer.

slob-air
Posted: Thu May 28, 2020 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
Sticks wrote:

Canadian Content rules which allow talent to bubble up without the crush of corporate American media bullshit. Fuckin' DeGrassi could never happen here.

Not all Canadians agree with this policy. Brian Adams has been fighting it for years. I agree to some extent—no way Nickleback should have had that advantage. Fortunately there are several radio stations that claim to be Nickleback free zones.

Sticks wrote:
' DeGrassi could never happen here.

I wish it didn't happen here either.

Sticks wrote:

The Canada Council which supports the arts, pretty heavily even for bands. These Canadian punk dudes crashed with me once and we were discussing touring, specifically how the fuck they can make a go of it. They were like, "Dude, the government bought us a van."

Not as good as it used to be when you could get grants from the province as well (current premier is behaving a lot like Trump and I'd like to kick his bitch ass). Great for funding recording and videos as well. What was the bands name?

Sticks wrote:

Aye! But equally with them buggers downstairs!

Sticks wrote:
The Canadian Vibe. Always cool and decent. I was up near Hamilton for work a while ago and the guys I was working with were the raddest.

Its all good until we get boozed up and fighty. Alberta's speciality of Rye whiskey is certainly part of that—LOL!. I stick to a good single malt as a result—I don't need help getting in fist fights.

I've had a lot of Canadian members drop by but far fewer Americans—I think most, like Amorone, who was here for a week, would attest that you're all welcome to drop in and me and my crew will take you out to the best skateparks, the best pubs and the best music venues.

Posted: Thu May 28, 2020 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 07 Feb 2003 Posts: 10327 Location: Raytown Travel Agency
Bryan Adams rules forever, but he's just butthurt over that one record getting denied. Overall, I'm into any policy that preserves local/national culture from being steamrolled. Which reminds me, fuck you for the Celine steamrolling we received, and conversely thank you very much for Shania <3

Degrassi rules. Just for having a fine punk chick who apparently put out, and a skitch. Fuck Claude though.

The band was Fucked Up, like 13 years ago when they were playing the local DIY collective in Long Beach with a friends' band from the Bay. Not my deal, but it's cool to see them do well since.

What's up with Wexit? Seems like some press-fabricated shitstirring since the party got <1% of the vote:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49899113
Parker
Posted: Thu May 28, 2020 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 04 Feb 2014 Posts: 761 Location: Half a beat behind
Sticks wrote:

Really? How so?
slob-air
Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 12:43 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
Sticks wrote:

What's up with Wexit? Seems like some press-fabricated shitstirring since the party got <1% of the vote:

This goes way back to the Americanization of the oil industry when it members all opened up head office s in Calgary and forever changed the culture bring with it a couple thousand Americans to train new employees and the industry and one of the main local newspapers conspiring to fuck over Prime Minister PET and his NEP which actually would have served us well...the right still uses this shit to distract the tighty whitey righties they .... uhm, emerse in their political stupidity. The Wexits are just morons.

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:29 am Reply with quote
Joined: 08 Dec 2007 Posts: 1253 Location: Tootgarook.....Australia.
Great sense of humour.
Polite.
Educated.
Free and happy.

Ha...I learned when I was travelling in my early 20s that when you ask an American if they are Canadian ....you get a blank confused look.
When you ask a Canadian if they are American ...you get a full 5 minute spiel.....

Haha.....from then on I ALWAYS ask a tourist if they are Canadian....it saves me 5 minutes.......Americans don’t give a shit and Canadians are appreciative.

🤓😆👍
bigpapes
Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I married a Canadian from Swift Current, SK. She is bad ass, and so is her family. Can't believe she married me to be honest. She could have done way better than a dirt bag from Portland, OR LOL. Love her to death. She is tough as they come.

Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Sticks wrote:
Bryan Adams rules forever, but he's just butthurt over that one record getting denied. Overall, I'm into any policy that preserves local/national culture from being steamrolled. Which reminds me, fuck you for the Celine steamrolling we received, and conversely thank you very much for Shania <3

Degrassi rules. Just for having a fine punk chick who apparently put out, and a skitch. Fuck Claude though.

The band was Fucked Up, like 13 years ago when they were playing the local DIY collective in Long Beach with a friends' band from the Bay. Not my deal, but it's cool to see them do well since.

The Lead singer from Fucked seams cool. Has a podcast that is really good.
Buckethead
Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Damien Abraham is a good dude.

thugfrm87 wrote:
Sticks wrote:

The Lead singer from Fucked seams cool. Has a podcast that is really good.

His podcast Turned Out a Punk is great.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next