SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  GENERAL DISCUSSION FORUM  »  Foundation Swank reissue or spoof?
Page 1 of 1    

Foundation Swank reissue or spoof?

simensays
Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Picked this deck up not long ago, but I can't tell if it's a Foundation reissue or a homemade custom... I've been a Swank fan since the early 90s, but never saw this stare & moon graphic on this shape (modernish Justin Lovely/Push series deck shape).

When I got my hands on the board, I noticed some things that seemed a little off - like the color on the bottom graphics, the white is greyish and darker on each side of the board (how is this screen printed?). It seems like the artwork is a bad scan from a concaved deck. The board itself has squared off edges, which might be a genuine detail on the Swank Skull decks, but all my old foundation decks has rounded off edges. The bottom has a very high gloss finsih, wich does not seem factory (but easily explained with a custom spray job for display purposes). Theconstruction, shape, concave etc all seem factory...

Does anybody have any info on this deck/model? Does anybody own one? Did anybody here make it?

zeno01
Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:01 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
To me, it looks like it was a re-issue Foundation that was cut to one of those early Swank shape.

Clues are:
-that Foundation logo in front of the back truck didn't exist in the early days, it's a modern logo.
-the grey in the logo- you're right, it doesn't look right, looks like a new thing (because all the old stuff was black/white).
-that high-gloss doesn't look right to me. Again, your right about your instinct.

It looks like a cool board, have fun with it!

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:25 am Reply with quote
It was listed as a reissue deck - and it has the same shape as some of the reissued Foundation Push decks...

However, the edgas are not sanded/rounded much giving it a homemade feel. I believe the other reissues has rounded off edges like most modern boards. Then again, I've never held an old Swank Skull deck, so this might be acurate in that relation. The gloss in only on the bottom, and from what I can tell this is a homemade job to preserve the artwork or something like that.

It does not much matter to me - I have plans to sand the bottom blank - graphics and all - in order to make a custom Justin Lovely Teapot deck, which will be my cruiser deck... I do not want to do this if this in fact is a rare (seller listed it was rare, which of course means nothing, but I've just never seen this deck earlier).

I contacted Foundation/Tumyeto, but they never seem to reply to any inquiries...
simensays
Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:45 pm Reply with quote
So I got an answer from Foundation:

"That is a reissue.
Most likely made at Watson Laminates in San Diego, CA.

Thanks,

Tum Yeto Inc."

Page 1 of 1