SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  WANNA' TRADE?  »  New board is cracked?
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

New board is cracked?

jibaridge
Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2001 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I just got my mcgill skull/snake from oldschoolskates, its still sealed, no dings/etc.. But there is a stress crack, actually two cracks, the first one above the right eye and goes down into the eye (approx 3"), the second one is on the top of the tail (its just beginning, not as bad as the one on the skull) (approx 2-1/2") Anyways this is my first NOS deck, I still have alot to learn, is this a common thing? The deck itself is beautiful, until you look up close, think I'm too picky or think I should exchange it? Here is a picture:

http://www.geocities.com/jibaridge/mcgill.jpg

(you have to cut and paste it above, clicking on them doesnt work, its a geocities thing, the link is right) Any replys would be great, thanks.

[ This Message was edited by: jibaridge on 2001-11-09 19:00 ]
fallen99angel
Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2001 7:29 pm Reply with quote
*S&B FOUNDER* Joined: 16 Sep 2001 Posts: 631 Location: Denmark
actually I think stressmarks are kinda hard to avoid with all the old decks, eg. ZORLAC decks have a tendency to get stressmarks. I think with storage moving, shipping etc. it will be very hard to avoid tiny spots like that.
Henrik
FALLEN99ANGEL
woody2001
Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2001 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 01 Oct 2001 Posts: 266 Location: Garbage Grove, Oregon
I agree, I don thave any mint decks yet but all of the ones I have seen have had stress marks of some kind.
As wood gets old it dries out. The drier it gets the more it shrinks and unfortunately dry, shrunken wood cracks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jibaridge
Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2001 8:08 pm Reply with quote
So you think I should keep it? Also, on the front truck in the middle there is a number 2000, is that the serial number or something?
Hammerhead
Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2001 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Oct 2001 Posts: 6889 Location: Occupying Aztlan since 1963
As an amatuer woodworker, there is no reason why a properly sealed, and pressed board should have stress crack in it or paint cracks for that matter. The final coat of lacquer, poly, varethane (whatever they use) should have been adequate to seal the board for decades. In my opinion, one of the cheapest made boards that I have ever held in my hands was a Stedham Industries Board. Felt cheap, looked cheap, and cracked REAL good all over the place. Even in the MIDDLE of the board! I sold it on Ebay. Will NEVER buy a Stedham for my collection ever again.
jibaridge
Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2001 11:08 pm Reply with quote
If this is a common thing, if I return it the odds are probally good of getting another with cracks? The company has a 7 day return policy, I can return it or exchange it (I'd exchange), but it would suck to get one with more cracks. What would you do?? It is a nice board, but I'd think the cracks would devalue it if I were ever to sell it, if it were ever skated more prone to breaking? If I were to sell it I couldnt say its mint cuz its not, it has cracks, even though its sealed.. So.. What would you do??
slob-air
Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2001 12:37 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
I'm with Woody on this one - shrinkage due to age will always cause stress cracks. Most of the finishes and sealers used in the last two decades of skateboard construction will not stop the natural leaching of moisture. One also has to be cognizant that taking a deck out of a sub zero cargo hold into a toasty sorting area - which is the case with many couriers - will cause stress cracks.

[ This Message was edited by: Slob-air on 2001-11-10 08:44 ]
fallen99angel
Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2001 3:34 am Reply with quote
*S&B FOUNDER* Joined: 16 Sep 2001 Posts: 631 Location: Denmark
JIBARIDGE I would consider it mint, unskated unused. The coating back then is surely not as good as it is now, I my opinion I would keep it, but im also maybe not as picky as many other fellow collectors and I would rate the deck mint
Henrik
FALLEN99ANGEL
woody2001
Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2001 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 01 Oct 2001 Posts: 266 Location: Garbage Grove, Oregon
Maybe you should contact the seller to see if they can hand sort another one for you that has less stress cracks.
They might just be nice enough to look a nicer one out for you.

Jason
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jibaridge
Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2001 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I emailed him, it'll probally take a day or so to get a reply, its a company not an individual, and they do do exchange/refunds, I just asked if he had "any in stock without cracks", if so I'll probally send it back just because.. If not well I'll still be happy with this one. No sense in keeping the cracked one if I can get one without any..

I'm so tempted to skate it.. Been a while since I've seen a new oldschool board, never mind held one.. Got the fever.. NEED MORE!!!

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next