SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  DOWNHILL / SPEEDBOARDING / LONGBOARDS  »  id like to see pix of your long set up boards
Page 7 of 9    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

id like to see pix of your long set up boards

Sk8Librarian
Posted: Thu May 20, 2004 2:11 pm Reply with quote
John...so maybe "Cult of the Longboards" is more than an article title???.

It makes sense that if you are not progressing to your utmost potential with the longer decks, then why not look for an alternative.

Now that I have read your post, I started thinking about what I have been riding in the last few months. I love my BDS 38" board, but it can also feel cumbersome at times in a pool. The Alva Bandaid is another new setup that is less bulky in pools for carving, but harder to stay on for 50/50 grinds, etc...somthing I have finally gotten comfortable doing on transitions on my Shitbird Ditch Bitch...which is 10.1 X 34. That setup has an Indy 166 in back, R-150 in front, and the white Street Gs.

I have a somewhat similar setup for skating the G'town ditch for hitting curb grinds and stalls... a 9.5 X 33 popsicle shape/square tail deck with Indy 166s and soft 65 mm Kryptos. Whenever I have tried to ride anything longer in the ditch, I end up not being as fluid and stable as I normally am, on the 33". Same conclusions, just slightly different setups.

Andrew
MileHighSkates
Posted: Thu May 20, 2004 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 28 Apr 2004 Posts: 2708 Location: Boulder County, CO
drink yer damn kool aid!

personally, i know i skate faster and better on a longer board. after destroying my wrist skating tight/tiny tranny, i'll stick to bigger bowls where *I* feel more confident/fluid on a bigger ride.

it's all about choice. experiment, find what works for *YOU*, then rip it up (whatever your style)...
theshralpster
Posted: Thu May 20, 2004 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Bds longboard is the first board that i have been able to throw down almost consistent carve grinds on. i love the long wb and the width great board. i am also in the process of setting up a afroman hustler. i cant wait to see how that feels. This will be downsizing for me, but i also have a PCTTII setup which is the complete opposite on my lb. i dont ride this in the bowls because it is too small. I find that i am able to throw down flowier and smoother carves on my lb as opposed to riding up, kickturn, repeat. Just a stylier aspect. also im not trying to do kickflip airs or anything, just twanna grind and go fast! whatever is in your quiver, if you can skate a bowl,in my book, you rule!

If you cant do it in those shoes...do it in NO shoes!

[ This Message was edited by: theshralpster on 2004-05-20 17:15 ]
Posted: Fri May 21, 2004 6:46 am Reply with quote
I kickflipped JohnnyB's ironing plank at StAug and almost broke my leg. the dang thing weighs like 25lbs! I dented my shin and stuff. no billy, no guts hung out.
so then I tells him; "JohnnyB, you need a shorter lighter board so it don't hurt my shin so much."
next time I sees him, he done gone from ironing plank to 46" and then down to 42".
now he's on a 34" that i can kickflip and it won't hurt when it hits my shin.
that's why he went to a shorter board.
for serious, man!
////////////////////////
hey billy, 38" is a BIG board. that's all, big. not really long. look at the picture. are you really using all that lumber?
I rode my 38x9.5"(biggest ride i've got) last night to warmup. funny how my feet can just shuck and jive all over the deck and I am always "on" the thing. "easy riding", but slow to respond.
It has a 17.5 wheelbase and phat tail and nose with mad concave yo. my old 36" rides had 18"wb. so even though the board is longer than the 36ers, the ride is shorter. but then after I rolled around on the fatty daddy and got loosened up, I went to the 34" with the 15"wb and tore the bowl a new one.
WEDGE
Posted: Fri May 21, 2004 7:05 am Reply with quote
Joined: 14 Dec 2001 Posts: 2176 Location: Hebron , Connecticut
I was a short board guy(34 with a 16WB) until Johnny B convinced me to go long, well if 36 is long, and when I get on a short board now it feels way tiny. my feet push out till I am up on the nose of the deck. but I have a theory. most skaters are in the 5'9 inch range and around 150- 180 lbs. I am 6'1 240 so for me on a 36 with a 18WB is really no diff then a smaller guy riding a 34 with a 16WB. isnt it? I mean its all proportional to a guys size. me on a 8x32 would be comical, but my board is kind of right for me??? who the hell knows but I do know that when I try one of the shorter(32-34) decks with a sub 16WB I usually get thrown off the deck with ugly results. And at 40 yrs old I am being realistic when I say I am never gonna be a flippy tricky type anyway. I couldnt ollie a pack of matches with a gun to my head, but I am very content to carve, kick off the coping and whatnot. Thats not to say I dont want to progress but for me personally I dont feel comfortable on a small deck.
Posted: Fri May 21, 2004 7:57 am Reply with quote
proportion is valid.
when I rode a longer board, kids would comment on it being long. well, I'd stand it up next to me and the tip would come to my waist. I'd have them do the same with their little flippy stick and it would come to their ribs.
so a big dude will tend to ride bigger bikes, wear bigger clothes and ride a bigger deck.
when I rode a 44", I couldn't ride or hardly kickturn a "tiny little 36". and I "knew" I could never ever ride a 15"wb again.
I think that whatever you usually ride, you tend to keep a 6" length range of comfort. above or below that gets you out of your comfort zone.
once I got to where i was riding the 36"/18"wb decks, I found that I could actually ride the little flippy sticks again. I was surprised. and then I realized how whippy they are in the bowl, on ramps, etc. and now I ride a 15"wb, and a 16"wb for the bigger stuff.
the only thing I REALLY miss about riding longer boards is when the skatemoms would say, "OH MY, it's SO big!". now I only hear it at home...
HangtimeAddict
Posted: Fri May 21, 2004 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Hey Amdrew, its Jp. I am hoping to make it back up to the downer soon, but I really want to make it out to fredneck also, the next time I am up there, I am very excited, it looks super sweet. I will give you a shout next time I am headed up your way.

On a different note, I am a 20yr old rider. raised on popsicles and fliptricks. I started riding when I was 13, but never was really into the whole scene. Honestly I felt isolated from the whole skate scene. I recently (about 9 months ago) had a friend of mine convince me to ride his long board at lansdowne, and that was a moment that changed my whole perspective. I currently ride a 44" Lib tech everyday after work and on the weekends, and finnally feel a real connection to a sport I have always loved. While I will admit it is not as easy to ride a longer board in pools and on ramps, I have finnaly been able to ride purely for my own pleasure with no need to prove myself to anyone. I feel this is so much more important that how well my ride preforms. So I am just trying to say, skate because you love it, and ride whatever you feel best on. I will be a skater the rest of my life, and I am glad to know that there are others out there just like me.
BillyBonebrake
Posted: Fri May 21, 2004 7:53 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
@Hangtime - Lansdowne definitely lends itself to surfy-style longboard action, big carves, big berts...you gotta be lovin it.

@anonymous - One day I'm on my 16" WB Conspiracy, the next day on the 38"er, and then over to a bulldog piggy. Now its a 15" WB Jollyafroman w/sixtracks and 61mm wheels.

Warming up on a big board is like swinging the bat with the lead donuts when your on deck.
Sloppy-Ollies
Posted: Sun May 23, 2004 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Here's my cruiser:

Indys, 65mm Kryptos, and soft vision risers...

Posted: Sun May 23, 2004 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 28 Apr 2004 Posts: 2708 Location: Boulder County, CO
sweeeeeeeeet

Page 7 of 9    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next