SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SKARFING MATERIAL  »  Favorite Barbecue Joint.
Page 1 of 3    Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Favorite Barbecue Joint.

zodiac13
Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 09 Aug 2002 Posts: 4822 Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Let's hear about 'em. What type of sauce (if any) do they use? Do they serve beer? Is it a bullshit chain that we should avoid? Bring it on!!!

My Favorite:
Pat James' Full Moon BBQ (525 5th St. B'ham, AL)
This place has shit for slaw, but other than that it is dynamite!!! Traditional, Alabama, Gerogia, Mississippi-style, tomato & mollases sauce with a good kick to it. Great ribs. No beer, unfortunately. BBQ turkey plates that'll put you to sleep so fast, youy won't remember eating it. INCREDIBLE burgers. Also, they use a homemade hot chow-chow (or relish, for you non-southerners) as a garnish for the pork plates. Fucking right on! $3.99 for a 1/4 chicken, dark meat with two big-assed sides.
Don't forget to grab a chocolate-dipped chocolate chip cookie on your way out the door.
My all-time fave!!!

Runner-Up:
The ORIGINAL Golden Rule BBQ. (2506 Crestwood Blvd. Irondale, AL)
This one is good. It is right down the street from my house. Great french fries. Decent enough standard sauce. More terrible slaw is featured on this menu. KILLER baked beans. The chopped pork plate is great, plus they give you an "extra meat" option. Nice. BEER,BEER,BEER! They have a fantastic hamburger steak plate w/gravy, onions & two extra sides
that will destroy you. I mean that in a good way. Food coma. This place, however, has a large contingent of old folks & rednecks who will stare at you throughout your entire meal.

Fuck This Place:
Dreamland. (I'll spare you and your wallet the misery of knowing the address)
Maybe the original in Tuscaloosa is worth going to, but the one here in town is nothing but a shithole. An expensive shithole that should be ashamed of what they've done to a once-great concept. I'll bet the old man is rolling in his grave, while his ignorant cunt of a daughter is rolling in the money of disillusioned University of Alabama fans.

Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:56 pm Reply with quote
The Rendevoux in Memphis is excellent.
dangersticks
Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:01 am Reply with quote
Joined: 17 May 2003 Posts: 1594 Location: Bombora's, California
EDIT: I've just had the best tri-tip I've ever had in my whole life at TOWN CENTER PIZZA, on the corner of Main and Calaveras (across from city hall, and about a mile from the Vans park) in MILPITAS, CA. Dude! The guy that does their BBQ for them smokes the meat (no fire, just hot smoke, just as God intended) to frickin' perfection. 10/10

The only other joint that comes close is that place in East Palo Alto, which is a nice place to hit after the Wednesday night ramp jam/beer swig in EPA. 9/10

--------------------------------------------

Armadillo Willy's (several locations in the San Jose/Santa Cruz area) is really good - at least as good as legendary Texas barbecue joints like Stubb's (no relation to the kook that posts on here and other message boards) and the Iron Works. The St. Louis Style ribs are no longer on the menu, but they'll make 'em for you if you ask nice. 8/10 (Texas Style)

The Central Texan BBQ (Castroville - near Monterey) has the best ribs in Northern California. Served dry, the guy smokes his meat for 72 hours. 9/10 (Texas Style)

Quincy's in Milpitas (down the street from Vans skatepark) is good, but he keeps such spotty hours that I haven't been able to eat there in years. 6/10 (Texas Style)

Doug's in Emeryville (Oakland) is good stuff. They have goat, if you swing that way. 6/10 (Southern Style)

Leon's in SF is also good. They have both pork and beef, but as one long-time customer said to me, "Why would anyone eat beef?" 6/10 (Southern Style)

B.C.C. Enterprises BBQ in San Jose is good and honest. 6/10 (Southern Style)

Last edited by dangersticks on Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
ShackleMeNot
Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:10 am Reply with quote
I used to love the BBQ ribs at the local bar my dad hangs out at, unfortunately, it closed down this past week and I didn't have a chance to eat em one last time. For now, i'd have to say Glenwood Oaks chophouse has some good bbq ribs and chicken. I can't remember if it's in Glenwood or Thornton, IL though, it sits right on the border of the 2 bout half a mile south of the Thornton Rock quarry.

Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:29 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
in miami shorty's bbq is legendary and always has a line around the place. it's one of the last places in miami where you can get a feeling for the "old miami".

in fort lauderdale there's a place called all people's bbq that is run out of the parking lot of a gas station in the ghetto. the place is run by a pastor that uses the procedes to help keep his church going. they have the best beef ribs. also another favorite is the dixie pig. this place has a great pulled pork sandwich, and they get extra credit for having such a cool name.....c'mon, the dixie pig!!!!! awesome.

one last one is a chain, but i give sonny's credit for putting their sandwiches on garlic bread!!!!! pretty darn tasty!!!
The Green Monkey
Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 15 Jun 2002 Posts: 14107 Location: Fucking a giant scorpion, duh.
It's a toss up for me.

Either Lil' Porgy's (see http://www.lilporgysbbq.com/ ) in Champaign, which is a pretty inelegant little joint that makes the best damn BBQ sandwiches possible, served with big, fat french fries. Homemade sauce, of course. Very sweet and spicy. Standard sorts of sandwiches, I'm partial to the beef with mix sauce. The hot is pretty intense, and although it isn't too spicy for me to handle, it does give me heartburn. Three sandwiches between two people (and three accompanying orders of fries) will give you food coma. They serve beer, but you shouldn't order it, because they have Lemon Shake Ups on their drink menu. Basically just a very sugary, lemony lemonade, with a full lemon (cut and squeezed, of course) in each.

My other vote would go to Po Boy's, also in Champaign, nestled in the heart of the North End, which is the poorest part of town. It's only open for about half of the year, and only then on Friday and Saturday nights. The owners are two older black men who are brothers (to each other, not just in the general sense of being a black male), and they spend a lot of their time at their vacation home (I think it's in Jamaica, but I'm not positive). Football and basketball season is really the only time they're likely to be open.

If you're in any kind of a hurry, you have to order it to go, because there are about 7 spots to sit at up at the counter, and about four two-person tables. They make their sauce too, (as every BBQ joint should), it's tomato based (no vinegar in these parts) and it can really vary in terms of spiciness from batch to batch. I've learned to go for the mix, because sometimes the hot will make my eyelids sweat, and that isn't even their hottest. I've eaten habaneros by the handful, and their hottest sauce is too much for me.

The menu is all ala carte, you generally will need two sandwiches (served on white bread) or a sandwich and a Polish sausage. I go for one beef and one Polish, with a side of cole slaw and an orange soda. Drinks are generic soda in grape, orange, cola, or cream soda, and they're $0.25 apiece. All the food there is pretty cheap. I think the Polish is the most expensive thing on the menu, and it's about $2.35.

The building itself is probably smaller than most restaurants' kitchens, and they do all of the cooking right there in front of you. With more than 20 people inside, it's cramped, so it isn't uncommon to see a line of 20 or 30 people outside the door. There is a back room, where card games are reputed to occur, if you are in the loop enough.

The two brothers are very big University of Illinois athletic boosters, and they often have players and recruits come in, both during regular business, and also when it's closed to the public. They've had sort of a "surrogate father" role for a lot of the inner city UofI athletes, and are very well respected and admired throughout all strata of the community. There aren't too many places where you'll see doctors and lawyers enjoying a chat with gangbangers over BBQ.

They've been open for a very long time, so it's a popular stop with visiting alumni as well.

Sadly, it's pretty hard for me to eat there very often. Between the fact that their hours are pretty much arbitrary, and the fact that THM found a small piece of metal in her Polish once, means that in order for me to get there, they have to be open, and she can't be with me. I'm sad thinking about it now...

***Edit-->Changed "...three sandwiches will...give you food coma" in the Porgy's paragraph to read "...three sandwiches between two people...". Big difference.

Last edited by The Green Monkey on Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:38 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 15 Jun 2002 Posts: 14107 Location: Fucking a giant scorpion, duh.
This needed it's own post, because I didn't want to contaminate the other one.

Fuck Famous Dave's.

More like Anus Dave's.

Their cornbread is pretty good though.

Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:14 am Reply with quote
Mr Cecils in west la.
meat falls of the bones.
mitchz
Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:25 am Reply with quote
Germantown Commisary,Memphis - now thats some good vittles

Last edited by mitchz on Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total
techone
Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:35 am Reply with quote
Betty's B.B.Q. in Anniston Al. (if its still there)
But it's my hometown, so I may be biased!

Page 1 of 3    Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next