SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  BUSINESS, SHOPS & RETAILERS  »  I'm thinking about opening up a shop. Advice needed, please.
Page 1 of 1    

I'm thinking about opening up a shop. Advice needed, please.

305oldschool
Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:12 pm Reply with quote
My wife and I have been kicking around the idea of opening up a shop for some time now. We are planning on having a record store/skate shop. I'd like to hear from a few members that have shops. What should I focus on? What would you have done differently? What are your shop's strong points?

We are looking at a few warehouses and storefronts. I'd like to have a mini ramp inside that can double as a stage for local bands to play on every once in a while. We are also looking at serving coffee and having a few sofas & coffee tables or tables & chairs (maybe tabletop arcade games).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
-Danny

Member #388
toomuchjunkhere
Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:49 am Reply with quote
I think a shops success depends a lot on the scene that is in that town. You should try to check with other local shops in your area and find out what really sells at their shops. I know sometimes that you'll want to carry shit that you think is cool, but other kids in that town might not like the same stuff, and it will sit there forever. Mixing it up with records, skates, and maybe having bands play, and even serving coffee would help it out quite a bit. A lot of the stuff in your shop at first will be trial and error, but thats usually how it goes starting out on something new.
ThrashCan
Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 3:11 am Reply with quote
Kids love element and bam....that is what I have learned working at a shop.
lifeskateboards
Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Go as big as you can right from the get go. in other words spend a crapload of money to get alot of inventory, and a LOT of SHOES, people may or may not come back to your shop based on their first impression.
If you start small and work your way up when people come in they will be like, Oh that shop is alright but they did'nt have the shoes I wanted, or alot of boards to choose from I am gonna go to the trendy mall shop next time. It is a sad reality. Also try and have the best possible prices around, Don't give anyone a reason to shop anywhere else. also alot of trial and error like tomuchjunk said. Good luck.
Adrian
Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Do it!
make sure your skate community can support another shop if there are others. It takes a bit to learn what sells quicker. Buy out your competition!
get exclusive distribution on major brands.
We've been thinking of the whole lounge or ramp idea but watch out for insurance.
yeah unfortunately there's no point of ordering any element stuff that's not Bam.
ThrashCan
Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I hafta say the most important thing is providing decks from Useless Skate Co. Along with Five Points and other SnB homies.
305oldschool
Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for all, the input. Keep it coming.

I'll definetly be carrying the bro's stuff.

Member #388
toomuchjunkhere
Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:52 am Reply with quote
I heard that if you carry any of the merch from my website that you will be able to retire by the end of your first year.
skinny
Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Have you thought about shop decks? They are a way to start a loyal group of customers that will represent your shop. Most shops sell them for around the $30 mark. I can help you out with those [email protected]. I would suggest that you work on logos, shirts and stickers immediately. Southshore dist will sell to anyone via money order, check them out. Good luck!

Page 1 of 1