SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  BUSINESS, SHOPS & RETAILERS  »  Most Popular Brands
Page 2 of 5    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Most Popular Brands

oasis
Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:35 am Reply with quote
It's interesting to me how people can be so unoriginal and conforming. I personally hate having shit everyone else has. Don't people want to stand out and be noticed? Ride something different, wear something besides that fucking Element shirt I saw 6 other people wearing.

Maybe "carrying the hottest brands" isn't such a great descision. Everyone else is doing it; what is going to set your shop apart for the thousands of other online storefronts that set out to do exactly as you did?

Probably not too much and that's why they will go to CCS and Active because they have a bigger selection and thats where their friends get the "latest trend."

That being said, you look like you're on the right track with the Deviant Mind decks. Just keep a good mix. Try to appeal to the old timers and the true skaters who know they're shit and will be around for alot longer than most the kids buying World Industries.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
surferpr
Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:03 am Reply with quote
Joined: 01 Oct 2004 Posts: 11 Location: somewhere in the USA
I think OASIS is right, you guys should try new and different brands. Good luck!!!

WHAT IS UP WITH THE HOSTILITY ON THIS FORUM? Why you guys are wasting writing space of this forum writing such crap to each others, that defeats the purpose of this forum.
sidewalk surfur
Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:20 am Reply with quote
surferpr wrote:

WHAT IS UP WITH THE HOSTILITY ON THIS FORUM? Why you guys are wasting writing space of this forum writing such crap to each others, that defeats the purpose of this forum.

Uhhh, yeah
not sure what the hell you're talking about

Mr. Christophish made a comprehendable, well thought out statement that was not only intelligent, but also holds true to a lot of peoples beliefs in here, mine included. If you don't understand that, then this is not the place for you.

surferpr wrote:

that defeats the purpose of this forum.

I'm not sure how you would know what the purpose of this forum is when that was your first post. I know, I know you've prob. lurked for a while and feel like part of the gang, but understand that any hostility that you felt from Christophish's post is justifiable as it is a direct result of the frustration we all feel with the blantent exploitation of skateboarding these days. Not really trying to down on ya surferpr, but if you think any of this was hostile then you obviously haven't browsed much of the forum.

Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:51 am Reply with quote
Ok man......whatever!!! uuuhhhhh sorry for interfering with your "underground world".....uhhhhhh
surferpr
Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:01 am Reply with quote
You know what...I think that MR Christophish and you dont even owns or run a business and spend your time wasting everybody else with your nonsense "underground world" "the gang"...uhhhhhh.....uhhhhhhh
sidewalk surfur
Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:20 am Reply with quote
surferpr wrote:
Ok man......whatever!!! uuuhhhhh sorry for interfering with your "underground world".....uhhhhhh

you make it a point to put words in peoples mouths often?

let me know when you want to make an intelligent or relevant post.

Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:07 am Reply with quote
no need for that....people look at this page and you see what im talking about
http://hometown.aol.com/copingcruiser...e/collection.html
Like I said, you do not own or operate a business so what are you doing here???

I do give you "props" for your collection of skates...it is good.
sidewalk surfur
Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:52 am Reply with quote
surferpr wrote:
people look at this page and see what i'm talking about

It's a bullshit little page to link to my collection. What's that prove?

I guess I'll say "thanks" for the props on the collection. Nothing special but sure does bring back memories every time I look at them!

That aside, you are assuming a lot. While I am not a big business owner, let me enlighten you to what i am doing. I currently run my own local custom skateboard manufacturing outlet called Rebirth Skateboards. While you will not find any of my products in "monster skate" or CCS, You will find a lot of local interest in having someone such as myself hand craft skateboards to customer's unique specifications. This is something that you cannot have done by most "major" manufacturers these days. What i am doing is giving back to my local skateboard community by offering customized skateboards at reasonable prices. I'm offering an alternative to the skaters in my area. To be able to get a skateboard made to your own specs at a good price, made by a skater, for a skater. This is a healthy thing to give to the skateboard community in my town and others in my opinion.

I have no aspirations of becoming some global company or some big corporate wood whore. I do everything from the first step to the last step of my board manufacturing becuase I enjoy it. I come up with a shape, size it, make the template, measure and center the template on the concave. I also cut the decks, round the edges, sand them, seal them, paint them, etc. I've also taken the last 6 months or so and taught mysellf how to screen print in my basement. I did the research, constructed a DIY jig and screen printing rig. I make the screens, then screen them on my decks. ALL HANDS ON. The only thing that I do not do is laminate the veneers myself. I purchase them that way because I lack the supplies necessary and I also just don't have time to do the laminating myself. Oh, and I skate what i sell. I would not be proud of what I am doing if I would not skate my own products or if it were half-assed. Every dime i make off of these boards gets put back into the boards that i am creating, whether it's supplies, new techniques, or more selection, education, etc... I am not selling "the hottest" brands just to make as much dough as i can.

I am attempting to make a difference in the skateboard community by offering skateboarders an alternative to the mainstream companies that are shoved down peoples throats. Who wouldn't want to get a board made exactly to their specs? Who would benefit if I just sold some pre-made decks with pre-made shapes? Skateboarding is about individuality and style. I think Danny from F13 says it best when he says "Style cannot be mass produced."

I sincerely believe in the use of skateboarding as an outlet of personal expression, and will do my best to work with those interested in my decks to produce a board that caters to each skater's individual style of skating.

And so I shall keep on keepin' on I suppose.

Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:54 am Reply with quote
looking at it from your point of view..you got a point and I respect that...but also you have to respect other peoples choices....if the kids want to use specific skate brands and swallow the commecialized skate industry, so be it man...if a shop owner is taking andvantage of the skateboard industry boom, so be it..... people have choices and because people do not see thing same way as you and some other people at this forum, does not mean that they are wrong....I browse aroun this forum and I noticed that people here are verey anal when it come to new school or people trying to start a business......why? old school - new school is still skateboarding.........again "props" for your collection...I like it
skinny
Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I have had to deal with alot of different business owners in my line of work. You need to keep in mind that the people who have the means to open a business are not usually a hardcore skater. Most of the skaters I know actually try not to hold a steady job so that they can go skating every day. I have dealt with parents of skaters retired people and in some cases foreigners that wanted their slice of american pie. I would rather point someone in the right direction than let them hang and fail. What if this guy is 90 years old and wants to start a business from his retirement money? I would do the same for you if you were asking me questions about making skateboards, even though it is my industry and you might in the long run cost me money. The fact is you asked for help and I would give it to you. There is some truth to the fact that these guys have not started to carry independent skate brands but if they read these posts they probably will chang that. So, in a way you helped them out with your bashing...if they can look past the bullshit and learn from it. New business is the catalyst for growth and improvement on skateboarding. who knows maybe by asking the right questions they will actually start to carry good brands and maybe they might be the place you buy your next deck or set of wheels from.

Page 2 of 5    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next