SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  DOWNHILL / SPEEDBOARDING / LONGBOARDS  »  My new comet downhill...
Page 1 of 3    Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

My new comet downhill...

Slim
Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Sep 2003 Posts: 2954 Location: pedro point, nor cal
Bought this deck out of the trunk of a car (really!) after some parking garage racing the other day for a price that I just couldn't resist. I had the other stuff already sitting in my garage so...here it is:

Comet ProFlex 40" Downhill deck, Randal 160 DH (downhill) hangers on 50� RII baseplates, kingpins replaced with 3" grade-8s and big nuts, indy red bushings on flat washers, 70mm 75a abec 11 flashbacks, pleasure tools "abec 7" bearings (i know, i know, i'm saving my rockets for when it really matters), top is gripped solid with jessup. The deck is super light but super solid. With the Randals I can pump it and turn it nearly as sharp as my slalom deck despite the big wheelbase and extra board length. Stoked!!

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:55 am Reply with quote
nice I have the 44" and its a great board.

Enjoy it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Slim
Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:25 am Reply with quote
I was asked about the kingpin thing so here's an explanation.

I got this tip from Dangersticks (who hasn't posted here for a while, huh?). The Randal kingpins are weak and have been known to snap. So I went to the hardware store and bought strong Grade-8, 3" long 3/8" 24 (threads per inch) bolts. At my store they were kind of a gold color, which looks cool. Grade-8 bolts have six hash marks on the head of the bolt. (fyi, grade-5 have three marks and grade-2 have none). The easiest way to accomplish this is to order the bolts from Mark at Mile high Skates next time you are ordering stuff. He doesn't charge anymore than my local hardware store. At my local store I got these bigass stop nuts as well (but you can reuse a regular kingpin nut too), and some flat washers to replace the washer cups on randals which have sharp edges that cut up the bushings!

You install these kingpins the opposite of the stock Randal ones. Randal puts the nut on the bottom of the baseplate, which means the threads of the bolt go through the baseplate, but you want it the other way around so that the strongest part of the bolt, the part where there are no threads, is passing through the baseplate. You'll have to take the truck off the deck in order to get the kingpins in, but that's just a one time inconvenience.

As for truck set up, I did have DH hangers on RII baseplates because the 180 hangers were too wide. The RII baseplates that come on the 180 and 150 trucks are steeper so you can turn easier so I kept those baseplates and put the hangers from my 160mm downhill trucks on there. Works fine. But last night I got the 150s in the mail and swapped those over. They seem to be the perfect size for the Comet deck of mine, especially if running wheels like Flashbacks.

Last edited by Slim on Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Slim
Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:46 am Reply with quote
That was way long. Let's try pictures this time:

BTW, those aren't the stock randal red bushings - they are indy reds.
notaint
Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:50 am Reply with quote
flipping the kingpin also makes it possible to change your bushings without unmounting the truck from the deck. Oh yea get rid of those randal bushings when you have a chance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Slim
Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:52 am Reply with quote
Actually, on a randal, you wouldn't have to unmount the truck to change bushings with the stock kingpin since the kingpin nut isn't under the baseplate part that mounts to the deck, but higher and accessible so you can hold it with your finger as you screw the kingpin in. But I'd still replace them for safety.

I agree the Randal bushings kind of suck. That's why, as mentioned above (in the first and third posts), the bushings are indy red, not randal. I have green stims in my 180 randals but didn't have another set and they're getting really hard to find these days.
notaint
Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:44 pm Reply with quote
well if your a clumbsy baffoon like me, its easier to flip em.
old charlie
Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:19 pm Reply with quote
@Maraboutslim no biggy about my Dogtown post .I've been out of skating for close to 20 years now.But want to get back in so all the info I can get is always wecome.So thanks man Charlie.

ghostcavalry
Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:41 am Reply with quote
http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com...sc&highlight=

hope I'm not a weenie (for crossing sites), but see how the Randall cracked?

Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:40 am Reply with quote
Wow. That must have been some crash! Cracked truck, snapped the whole end of the board off, too!

Page 1 of 3    Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next