SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  BUSINESS, SHOPS & RETAILERS  »  Combatting Trash-Talk?
Page 1 of 3    Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Combatting Trash-Talk?

auragreg
Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:52 am Reply with quote
Joined: 31 Aug 2004 Posts: 2382 Location: Highland, Michigan, USA, Earth
I just opened a shop a month ago, am the only shop with 15 mile radius - the first one in the area. But I am having to deal with something I didn't even think that I would have to deal with ... trash talk from local skaters that havent even been in the store or even talked me!

Sure I was prepared for some skaters not to like me or whatever, but this is talk (and posts on my website) from skaters that question my integrity and reasons for starting a shop. I would have never thought a local skateshop would be dissed on by the local skaters. It doesnt make any sense to me.

And it does make me laugh to hear these kids saying that they think I'm making tons of money ... if they only knew how in debt I am (and most start-up skate shops). I still havent paid myself and probably wont for a long time.

Just wondering if any of you have delt with anything similar and what you've done about it.

Support skateboard art/artists: http://www.etsy.com/shop/BurbSkateboards
slob-air
Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
Good luck. Skaters tend to have deep allegience to skate shops they've delt with for a long time. Being the new guy on the block will bring scorn. And I suspect the other shops are promoting that sentiment as they don't want the competition.

How to combat it? Give awesome customer service, great prices and sponsor hot locals skaters and events. Make the kids feel welcome in your shop. When they buy new trucks, offer to to mount them for free.

You need to make a name for your shop and earn the skaters respect. They all think you've opened up to take advantage of the popularity of the sport and fleece them of their meager disposable cash.

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, sponsor and give shit away. Just keep at it and they'll come through.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
auragreg
Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:19 am Reply with quote
Cool - thanks guys for the input.

I guess I was just a little shocked by it all. The only time I ever talked trash about a shop is when they treated me bad.

I'm in the process of sponsoring local kids. And helping out with the commitee to get a skatepark in the town. It's an exciting time!!

"can't we all just get along"

letsgoskatepool
Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:32 pm Reply with quote
i have a good idea, sponsor me
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
houston
Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:13 pm Reply with quote
I assume you are a skateboard only shop? If not expect the trashtalk to be endless. It is hard for true skateboarders to understand why people want to discredit are sport by selling decks along side fruit boots, razor scooters,floaty flip-flops, concert Tee's, girls jeans, or BMX bikes..

my 2 cents

Loyalists will be rewarded by the core market.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Fedupskateboards
Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Be sure when you sponsor ppl, that you sponsor the the best and, most importantly, respected people you can find. This will bring you a lot of respect in turn. I noticed in my city too that being a new company brought a lot of trash talk, and all by people who have never even talked to me and have even seen our boards. Just keep being cool to people and hook'n them up a little bit. It brings in a lot of loyalty and long-term customers.

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Actually, because I have found myself interested in many different "board" activities, I decided to sell all "board" type equipment ... snowboard, skateboard, wakeboard, mountainboard. I'd sell surfboards too, but not many people buy surfboards in Michigan!

The only clothes we sell will be by brands that are related to the activity. Skate shoes, etc...

But that is all we're carrying, no bikes or rollerblades/scoters.

After being really pissed about it at first, I have now come to just let it go. The locals will see how serious I am by what I do around here.

Byrddog
Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I am shooting to have my shop open in April. We've been very busy around here. Anyway, I am bracing already for the shock to the skate community when my doors open. So far it's still a big secret to most out side the circle of trust. I keep it quiet to avoid getting the shit talk started earlier than it should. I have not been the favorite skater/Dad of a skater to the owners of the local pay park/skate shop due to being part of a public park commitee a few months ago. This indoor park/shop, like your closest shop, is 15 or so miles away and no shop in my area. My area needs this shop, I'm doing it, and I know what is going to happen. I'll be called everything under the sun for the first few months, till I get on my feet and I can start working on some demos, contests, sponsoring, and the kids get comfortable hanging out. The kids of my city need a skateshop that is as a skateshop should be. Fun!

You haven't heard the last of me on this subject I'm sure.
auragreg
Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:41 am Reply with quote
Good for you!!! It really is rewarding. I'm not making any money yet - and am a little nervous about it - but I have faith that it will turn around. Especially with spring just around the corner.

I believe that if you do it for the right reasons, you'll attract the right people. And sooner or later, the haters will come around.

It sounds like you and I are in a very similar situation. I'm commiting myself to helping to get a public park in out town too.

And you're right - the kids need it.

Page 1 of 3    Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next