SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  BUSINESS, SHOPS & RETAILERS  »  SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TenetSW
Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:15 am Reply with quote
Joined: 04 Dec 2004 Posts: 639 Location: on the outside looking in
I know there are threads on here already asking how much money it takes to open a shop and yaddy yaddy, but what i need is someone willing to take me under their wing and give me all the details. I already am licensed in the state of wisconsin as an LLC but I am meeting with the SBA and have to supply them with a pretty extensive business plan. I am looking to secure a loan for $150,000, half of which will pay for the building. I need to know how the other half will break down into catagories, such as $?this much money is for clothing, this much is for shoes, this is for decks, and so on. before you say that buying a building is crazy, I know. but it has an appartment upstairs thatis currently rented out for a good deal of money and to buy the place, along with the income generated by the appartment is alot easier of a monthly payment.
If any one is there to help, email, pm or call my friggin house at 715 762 1605. my name is ryan and my partners name is melinda.
please only call if you can help me.
Thank you very much.

Ryan J. Goebel

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:11 am Reply with quote
Joined: 31 Aug 2004 Posts: 2382 Location: Highland, Michigan, USA, Earth
I think your big concern will be money.

The SBA won't help you with anything ... and they are going to make you jump thru tons of hoops to get the money. I had a HORRIBLE time just getting $30K.

Best bet, figure out how much you are going to have to buy inventory. Then make the decision on whether you are going to have more hardware (which is more core in my opinion - but makes less profit) or more softgoods (clothing, shoes etc ... which has higher markup).

Then break it down from there. If you have $50K for inventory. Set limits of (for example) $10K for shoes, $20K for clothes, $20K for hardware. Then contact reps/distributors for price sheets. Be prepared for certain companies to not want to deal with you. And get ready to fill out a ton of dealer apps. And you will be purchasing everything with cash for a while. Nobody will give credit to a new store.

Once you have the price sheets, sit down and figure out what everything will cost and how your original breakdowns work. Then shift money where you need to.

Good luck with it all!

Support skateboard art/artists: http://www.etsy.com/shop/BurbSkateboards
slob-air
Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:20 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
Buying the building is smart.

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:58 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
not to jack your thread but when I was in college I used to buy Goebel beer for 5 bucks a case. Shit was so bad it was good, ice cold plucketed out of the wastebasket I had filled with snow in my dorm room. It is the very reason when I shovel snow in my driveway I take two beers and drop them in the snow to drink as I shovel. Nothing tastes as good as a bottle of beer pulled out of the snow.
TenetSW
Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:36 pm Reply with quote
thanks. i didn't think of working it backwards like that. and yeah, i'd like to be alittle more core, but its my partners call. Associated bank has all but guaranteed us the 150k but the want to see how it will breakdown into catagories and profitable returns, basically how we can show them we'll make the money back. the sba gave you the run around huh, that sucks.
i think the only reason that we're not having trouble is because we did the smart thing and made sure we were a minority owned business i.e. my bestfriends mom is 60%(majority) member in the LLC. that qualifies us for numerous tax breaks not to mention preferential status with loans and government assistance. I'm the other 40%, supposed to be the one with the industry inside since i been skatin over half my life. but I'm only 23 with a fam and some kids and deadlines coming up with the sba and i can't find any hard numbers that aren't completely based on my assumptions. i just need a couple of cold hard facts thrown my way.
thanks to all who took some time to respond, and naw dawg, you didn't fuck up my thread, i hear that beer stuff all the time.
Ryan

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:39 pm Reply with quote
oh yeah, and how do i know how much i will need for each category when I can't get any distributors to give me the time of day?
lol

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what kind of distributors you are trying to deal with, but I've never had any trouble getting a pricelist from anyone.

Go to their website try and DL an application, print it, fill it out, and fax it. Follow through with as many phone calls as it takes until they email you some pricelists or catalogs.

I don't know if this is what you were having trouble with- but that's what I did and had no problems.

I might be able to email you some lists just so you can get an idea. Let me know.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
auragreg
Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:04 am Reply with quote
Glen at Smoothill is super cool ... he helped me out a lot with quantites of stuff to start out. They dont have any shoes tho. I believe that he got me a price list right away.

http://www.smoothill.com
415-453-1170

If you talk to him, let him know that Greg at Aura Boardsports in Michigan directed you.

auragreg
Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:13 am Reply with quote
one more thing ... getting into shoes and clothing that has a million different sizes can get really expensive, really fast. I mean, think about it. If you only get 1 style of shoe, you have to buy 12 shoes ... and that only if you get whole sizes! And only 1 of each size!!

example: $25 x 12 shoes = $300 for only one shoe!

Multiply that by 2 if you want half sizes.

Multiply that by the number of different styles you want.

It adds up really fast.

I had to start out with smaller quantities of stuff ... and I get to hear crap from customers "You really dont have very much" or "When are you gonna get more shoes in?" or "Is this the only brand you carry?" .... UG!!!!

Most people dont know that you just spent cash for every freakin thing in the store!!!

TenetSW
Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:56 pm Reply with quote
thanks greg. hookin up wit smoot right now.
as to shoes, can't you just determine the more popular sizes and sell those?
the closest shop to us is like 160 miles away and my partner, she's really determined to sell alot of clothing and crap like that. most people have to go to the mall (3hours away) or mail order for any thing they want when it comes to anything like skate stuff, clothing, music.
we're a ride shop, so i suppose snow boards are going to eat our money up, but only 3 or 4 boards is all we need for now. we just want to open up the local seen to more choices than ccs or the mall. sorry to Beach Plus cause i know the kids that ride my tenet decks used to always order from you guys! Will says hi.

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next