SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SKARFING MATERIAL  »  Anyone own or manage a restaurant?
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anyone own or manage a restaurant?

lilsheeda
Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:34 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
I'm at square zero...but going to do it - and it's starting to look like sooner than later. Either a small Pizza (In & Out) joint in my local town- or get the fuck out of dodge to a smaller town in Eastern WA. Have the location location location, huge German based menu- for E. WA...a few people with bucks as well, but would prefer to DIY and live or die by ME. Going to skate to work, work all day and night, and sink or swim.

But should I find someone with the knowledge of the ordering / supplies, etc. Or go for a quick restaurant management course and do it from there?

Anyone ever done such a thing?
TEAM_PING_AMORONE
Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 07 Jan 2002 Posts: 8345 Location: in front of a computer
Pick the brains of Zodiac13 and Buckethead....I know there are more here, but I know right off that those two are full of experience...I actually have talked to Zodes about doing his own thing before....he is that good.

Amor~1

Homer: "Wooo whooo! That sounds like a wager!"
lilsheeda
Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I knew Zodes has mucho experience. I've got a few things on the burner, but the pizza is a sure fire hit in my revitalizing neighborhood. New parking garage going in, busy bus stops, bars packed until 1AM-2- cause nobody goes to Seattle anymore. Two fine dining established Italian joints...lines out the door and reservations- for shit (Well it's good, but not $15 for a bowl of spaghetti good). I want simple, money making, in and out - get your shit and go. Gefo's (Get the fuck out)...but take some good shit with you.

Also just went and learned how to make a many generation family recipe sausage, that I may just sell out to Costco (Know buyers, but am studying rules/regs)- or may just put it on the pizza. Just worried about all the FDA/USDA regs. Sure seller...Even made friends with Slaughterhouse Dan. Holy shit, takes an interesting character to be a butcher...
fourandahalf
Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:26 pm Reply with quote
i'm a resturant manager, but i deal with the service end alot more than the finance end. the place i run has about 350 seats. it's a pretty busy cafe. i don't think you need to take a course. they aren't gonna teach you anything that you can't learn on your own. the resturant business is pretty striaght forward. pm me if you want, i'll see what i can help you with.
The Green Monkey
Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 15 Jun 2002 Posts: 14107 Location: Fucking a giant scorpion, duh.
If you're still fairly up in the air about what kind of place, I'd recommend at least considering opening up a Jimmy John's sub shop.

The Pink Monkey is up to 7 or 8 shops in Milwaukee, and is doing very well for himself. I've also got friends from high school who are still fairly new at it but are doing well somewhere down south, either Auburn or Clemson (I don't know why, but I've never been able to keep those two straight...).

http://www.jimmyjohns.com/franchise/

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Hi. I'm Slyde. I have been in the restaurant industry as a Chef, Catering Event Supervisor, General Manager etc. etc. for fifteen years.

First thing is decide where and what. Look around your location and think, "What do they need here."

PM me for any questions if you want. I just broke my leg skating the new vert ramp in Olympia so I'll be online a lot.
lilsheeda
Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Hey Slyde,

Yeah "met" on Bulldog a few times. I'm up in Renton. I'm pretty set on the Pizza - in and out NYC style, but good stuff. KNow it would be successful for sure...just too much starting to go on downtown and nothing quick- it's an all day/night busy 1 way that cuts off having to mess with 167/405.

The only thing I have holding me back is having a steady good job and not a lot of know how. I have a gut feeling to leave town, but if this thing takes off it will definitely change my outlook on life in this town - I live downtown.

Wow, thanks for all the offers of help. Slyde sucks with the leg man! My last very wipeout at the skate barn basically set me waaay back.

I've got to get back to the real job here, but will check back and definitely welcome any advice!
slyde
Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, lilsheeda.

There are a few good books out there too. Might want to check out (I think its called) The Complete Restaurateur. Helps with business plans etc.

Later,

Sly
zodiac13
Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 09 Aug 2002 Posts: 4822 Location: Birmingham, Alabama
If you have a good location, you're damn near halfway there.

The downside to buying into a chain, is that you are still under someone else's thumb at the "head office". These places also don't allow for much creativity when it comes to the menu. If you just wanna make money, then by all means, get youyrself a McD's or Chik-Fil-A, or a Jimmy John's or whatever. Follow their rules to a "T" , and you'll be rolling in cash.

Understand this....
You will live at the restaurant until you are about to cry. You will resist all the urges to hire help. You have to tell your cousin's daughter to "fuck off", until you get the ball really, and I mean RALLY rolling. Seriously. Obviously, you'll need folks there to help out, but, do not expand your employee list until it is absolutely necessary. Remember, every dollar that YOU make, YOU make, and you don't have to pay someone else yet.

Example: I've got a buddy who just bought a bar & grille. He hired a full staff so that he could be Mr. Swinging Dick Hotshot owner guy. Now, he calls me almost in tears because the place ain't makin' money & he dosen't know how to rectify it. I tell him that he has to, HAS TO fire some people and let them know why. BECAUSE HE FUCKED UP AND HIRED THEM WHEN THEY WEREN"T NEEDED. But, he's too big of a pussy to do it and admit that he fucked up. So, he's just digging a deeper hole by trying to lure in business by hiring live music. See? He's WASTING money that could very well be sitting nicely in his pocket, or going into fixing the busted sink in the women's room, or something else that's fucked up and wrong. It just dosen't need to go to pointless employees.

He will be out of a business, and probably out of a marriage whithin the year. Mark my words.

When you do have the resources to actually hire a few more people on, allow them a great deal of freedom. The best people in the business are the outsiders and freaks. You don't wanna run 'em off with a bunch of nit-picky rules. Well, all except for one: Fucking be on time. Anything can be accomplished if everyone is there, running as a machine. Fire anyone who is habitually late. No matter how "good" they are at their job.

Also, do not be bullied by vendors. Do not accept free shit from competing vendors in an attempt to curry your favor. Find who has the best product at the best price and use them. Simple. They are a service, just like a gas station. A relationship ain't always important. Besides, vendors talk. You get a copuple of foodservice reps discussing your potential flip-flop to another company, or perhaps the fact that your place isn't exactly packing 'em in right now, and they will descend on you like ravenous vultures. Remember, this is strictly business. So-and-so over at Sysco, or Monarch, or Sunday Dinner might be a swell guy over the phone when you're placing your order, but, like a shark, if he smells blood in the water, You're dead. AND, everyone else in town will know about your sorry affairs.

You also need to read "Kitchen Confidential" by Anthony Bourdain. It'll set you straight in a lot of practical areas.

If you have any specific questions please feel free to pm me about 'em. GOOD LUCK!

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I'll be heading to the library after this weekend to get a go at the recommended reading. I've bought a few computer cds aimed directly at Pizza Restaurants...

There's a good chain on the move from Portland, but I'm going to sink or swim on my own- seriously this job I've got sucks the life right from you. Hours working don't bother me...I put in crazy times here and don't get rewarded and can't stand this computer and angry customers - I'd much rather have a slice of pizza flying at me than the threats of losing a monster account. My brain is so tired I can't think enough to go anywhere anyway. I've already gotten all personal credit / home loans, etc. in check - so if it doesn't work, I'm not hurting too bad...but just have that feeling like it can't miss and my lady has a pretty good job, medical, etc. If it doesn't work, we'll move on...and start over- young enough.

Going to keep it simple at first...but then who knows. Gotcha on the hiring good help - that's a given in my world. I've come to find that business is business and the vendors I work with are wanting millions of business and stroke you hard...business sense/sensibility is there...the vendors, etc. are what I need to find.

Totally thanks - it's funny how many people are behind this idea around me...few are naysayers - except the folks...but that's a given my whole life. Sometimes just "living" and uncomfortable/comfort is not enough.

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next