SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SKARFING MATERIAL  »  Anyone own or manage a restaurant?
Page 2 of 2    Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anyone own or manage a restaurant?

BigPapaSD
Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:06 pm Reply with quote
lilsheeda, YOU CAN DO IT!!! Location is key, you already know that. Like everyone already said do it yourself, don't hire anyone until you're in the black and have paid off your debts. Start experimenting with dough recipes and sauce recipes until you find what you like. I had a friend do this exact same idea and he did very well. He started with $20,000.00. He bought a used Pizza oven and giant mixer for dough and everything else he could think of. So find a used restaurant supplies store and start checking things out. My friend paid off his $20k loan the first year and started banking the money the next year. He didn't hire anyone for 2 years. He had several people offer him huge money for his business, he eventually sold. He moved back to his hometown and started all over again. Only this time he he knew all of the answers to the Questions!!
zodiac13
Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 09 Aug 2002 Posts: 4822 Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Exactly!!!! Good input Big!

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Definantly buy good used stuff. Portland has some great places to buy used equipment.

I wish I still had the drive to open a place. Spent a year and a half trying to help somebody else (who didn't have a distinct plan) get their place going. I've seen all the mistakes made.

There is a great place in Olympia, WA called Old School Pizza that had 80s posters all over the walls and early video games. I've always thought that was a great idea.

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:42 pm Reply with quote
seattle sorely needs a chicago-style pizza joint.

If you can beat or emulate Romio's then you'll rule the southend
ShackleMeNot
Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:38 am Reply with quote
I'm a part time manager at an in and out pizza joint, i might be able to help a little bit

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:19 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Thanks for all the tips...may be emailing a couple of you in the next few weeks or months - depending on how fast this gets rolling. Have an old timer that pretends he's our band manager (He does get good pay for gigs) getting me in with a well established Pizza/Greek place to figure doughs and all that shit. Read a couple books / pizza shop business plans- still have to find the ones prescribed above...

Damn the dough ball started rolling once I got a little backing 'round here.

Bobcat - the Greek place I may be checking out is in Wallingford...apparently is supposed to be the shit, but yeah I'm a Chicago style person myself. Too bad the Renton skatepark doesn't have too much to offer- though I have fun for myself there...maybe a ride your board in special some day.
lsu
Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:17 pm Reply with quote
check ebay for all the used equipment
i work for a caterer that bought everything off the bay
I also have a friend that just opened up a fine dining place in walla walla
he cut his teeth in the seattle area, so if you got a question about vendors and such, i can put you in touch with him
Kitchen Confidential is a must
Zodiac had great advice
Really expect to live at that motherfucker, really!
BigPapaSD
Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:45 pm Reply with quote
@lilsheeda, How are things going? Give us an update.
lilsheeda
Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:03 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Ah yes, things well went really fast in a way. Received the lease details on the spot, went and visited a buddy of a buddy's Greek/Italian joint, went over everything...ball really rolling, then BANG - guess what opened next door to where I was going? Seriously, beat me to the punch. They took a hole in the wall joint. A joint where the last 2 businesses went down quickly. Last one was a BBQ joint. It closed not so surprisingly (Not that good and bad view from the road - drive by and miss it) and within a freakin' week the Italian joint was ready to open - as I was getting everything together and organized. Totally a HEARTBREAKER quite honestly. The place I was shooting for has a parking lot, is very visible on the main road -not a hole in the wall. Expensive, but I think it'd be worth it. The place that opened is too hidden. I'll be there when they open, check the menu, eat a slice or whatever they have, then plan on beating them. I didn't want to be cut-throat though, just to have some good food to eat.

I can now make a mean pizza - learned the art of minimal sauce/toppings - with fresh, soft, wet mozzarella, and homemade dough that is just amazing....nowhere is serving it. Simple and yet scrumpcious.

So I put in an application for a new job- hopefully much better pay - and I can save to do it on my own, then orchestrate a hostile location take over in the months to come.

I think if I had a partner (Knowhow only- not money - actually had so many willing participants/investors it was crazy) - with a little more knowhow it may have happened much faster - but this Italian Joint must have been ready to fucking go...

Now they've started tearing down Boeing to open a huge new shopping center on the other side of town - supposed to be "upscale" outdoor mall, no big box - may be my next spot, but I really wanted to be downtown. We'll see what happens in the months to come.

But thanks for support and ideas...I did my homework, stayed up late, talked it up to friends / family - really is a good thing. We'll see what happens with this new place. Hopefully it's just another expensive place and not the GEFO place I invision.
BigPapaSD
Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Your time will come lilsheeda! Be patient and it will all happen and work out! Save some cash and keep fine tuning your business plan and recipes.

Page 2 of 2    Goto page Previous  1, 2