SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  BUSINESS, SHOPS & RETAILERS  »  Share some ideas for generating business
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Share some ideas for generating business

auragreg
Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:16 am Reply with quote
Joined: 31 Aug 2004 Posts: 2382 Location: Highland, Michigan, USA, Earth
Lets hear some good ideas!

For me, I ran a "Design a Deck" contest to design our shop deck. We had 77 submissions. We actually did it the month before we opened. The hard part was getting the word out and contacting the local schools. We picked a winner and made 100 decks of thier design. The winner got 1 deck. We also had her autograph a couple of them. Once we start getting low on decks, we'll do the contest again. I think it's a cool way to support local artists and give kids a chance to have their own "pro" deck. Plus, our shop decks are way cooler looking than the plain "shop-logo-on-a-deck" ones I see floating around.

So what has worked for you?

Support skateboard art/artists: http://www.etsy.com/shop/BurbSkateboards
Smakutus
Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:22 am Reply with quote
Joined: 10 Dec 2001 Posts: 2932 Location: Meechigan.. Collect and Destroy!
Let's see one of them..

Thanks,
Jeff.

"what the heck you talking about i sent you the money weeks ago,and you still gaveme a negative feedback,and top it off never sent me the tape,its ebayers like you that screw people,Thanks for messing up my ratings jerk.."

A. Fuckingkissfan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
auragreg
Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:25 am Reply with quote

notaint
Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:22 am Reply with quote
We ran this secret spot contest. We took a picture of one of our spots and posted it in the shop. The skaters had to bring back video of certain tricks at that spot. First skater to find the spot and bring us the video proof won stuff. We wanted to run it once a month and then use the footage for a shop video but the shop closed and the owner joined the peace corp.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
auragreg
Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:27 am Reply with quote
That's a good one!!! Great idea!

Sorry to hear about the shop closing tho

TenetSW
Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 04 Dec 2004 Posts: 639 Location: on the outside looking in
we're going to be opening in about 2 months, but one idea that we've been running through our heads has been to offer discounts to people based on volunteer work at the local food exchange. we already do it for local kids with our skate company. we set up a form and gave it to the head of the exchange, and every hour spent by a person volunteering works out to 5 dollars off a purchase. We set the limit at 3 hours a month, and have given away quite a $15 shirts for free. Good promo, and it seems to have earned us a little respect in this small hick town.

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 10 Dec 2001 Posts: 2932 Location: Meechigan.. Collect and Destroy!
That deck design does look cool.. Thanks for posting that.

Outt..
Jeff.

"what the heck you talking about i sent you the money weeks ago,and you still gaveme a negative feedback,and top it off never sent me the tape,its ebayers like you that screw people,Thanks for messing up my ratings jerk.."

A. Fuckingkissfan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
BLUE bus
Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:18 pm Reply with quote
We created a deck that said "I LOVE KC" (I Love Kansas City) and donated $3.00 dollars from the sale of each deck to help build and maintain public skateparks in the greater Kansas City Area. We gave the money to city park and recs that are building skateparks in KC. It's a great way for the skaters in your community to give back to skating in your community.
tyler 309
Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:02 am Reply with quote
notaint wrote:
We ran this secret spot contest. We took a picture of one of our spots and posted it in the shop. The skaters had to bring back video of certain tricks at that spot. First skater to find the spot and bring us the video proof won stuff. We wanted to run it once a month and then use the footage for a shop video but the shop closed and the owner joined the peace corp.

thats a sweet idea, dude!

if only our shops wernt weak...
auragreg
Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:54 am Reply with quote
It seems our parks and recs want nothing to do with giving any money to skateparks. The committee trying to get the park here is having to raise ALL the money.

I have a PS2 in the shop that the kids (and I) play Tony Hawk Underground. I was thinking about having a Undergound Competition with prizes and stuff. Especally since the weather here in Michigan is so crazy right now. Can't skate or snowboard.... stupid rain....

We also donated a lot of skateboarding related books to local school librarys. We did a small sticker on the inside with our logo and web addy.

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next