SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SKATEBOARD ART  »  how do I get my work and decks noticed or published?
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

how do I get my work and decks noticed or published?

kevincar
Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:32 pm Reply with quote
AAA

Last edited by kevincar on Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
bobby
Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:49 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Hello and welcome.to be honest,you just have to put your work out there,you got to be your own salesman,this market is jammed with so much talent its tough,when i started i got work from big companies,some treated me good some treated me bad,some even ripped me off,some of the smallest companies treat me the best and i respect them for that,i do this cause i love it and dont give a fuck about the money.i would say first look for places with styles or intrest like yours,never bash anyone or thing,its all artistic vision and thety are entitled to their opinion.I love drawing skateboard and punk rock style art,my wife thinks im cheap for what i charge,but I dont do it for the money,i did that once and regret it.So good luck and keep at it!!!!!
Homer80
Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Bobby's right, get your work out there and everywhere. The more your work is veiwed the better your chances of drawing intrest. The market for artists now is as tough as it's ever been.

In a country full of Neanderthals? I wear it as a fucking badge of honor!"

Rainbow Randolph Death to Smoochie
dooms_dave
Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Homer80 wrote:
The market for artists now is as tough as it's ever been.

ain't THAT the truth.

Cab Full Dragon. red 7-ply
SK878
Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 03 Jun 2003 Posts: 632 Location: Phantom 309 Lounge - Fairview, TN
Right on Bobby!

Yeah Kevin, do it for the love then the money will follow. Don't expect to get rich off skate art though, just remember it's supposed to be fun!

As far as getting work published, try submitting to magazines or entering design magazine contests (Print and How are two good ones) Both have annual issues with a variety of illustration styles. You may also consider hiring a rep if you're serious about making a living at it. I've been doing design and illustration work professionally for 27 years and it never gets easy. Finding work is the real work, the rest is easy.
kevincar
Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Yo whats up to all who replied to my questions Thanx.
-Kevin
kevincar
Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I forgot to tell you guys Im gonna start a new deck. It should be up in a week or so. Do any of you guys know of any companies that would place my shit on a deck. I wont charge much. I'll work for cheap I just want that good feelin!Peace and hit me back
bobby
Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Do any of you guys know of any companies that would place my shit on a deck

Always refer to your art in a proffesional way,even around the bros.Im not being picky,just giving friendly advice.
bobby
Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:33 pm Reply with quote
be happy
skinny
Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I can only say that you are on the right track by posting the question. I would suggest a couple things. Invest in yourself, what I mean is keep producing art that fits the medium you want to work in, make lots of exapmles that you can show people.
Be varied think of it as options for potentail skateboards produced in the future, your stuff seems to be graffiti/ hip hop oriented, you should stick with that if it is your passion but it will limit you to that style. Trends change all the time in skateboarding and you have to be able to change with them.
Educate yourself on what has been done and look into the styles of other artists that have come before you. Sean Cliver, Pushead, as well as the companys themselves Santa Cruz, Powell, And world industries have had thousands of lines of skateboards produced in themes. When it comes time to actually work with someone you need to know what the are talking about when they say they want to make something like "Devil man" or a "Grabke clock". It will make design much easier on you when submitting works.
Don't give up. It might take you years of showing around your stuff to people who pass on it over and over, but someone will eventually like one of your pieces and things will happen.
Learn new skills, get a copy of photoshop, illistrator, or other medium in which you can be able to send artwork pre sized and ready for production. This will make you way more valuable to someone when you have the ability to change anything at will.
GOOD LUCK!

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next