SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SKATEBOARD ART  »  Advice on painting a deck
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Advice on painting a deck

SantaCruzSkater
Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Hey, I got a deck that I want to paint the bottom of... I would like to do something artistic maybe brush but spray (airbrush or spray) if possible. What do you guys normally do to paint the decks and what type of paint do you use? Do you sand the bottom first if it has a pre-existing crappy graphic?

Thanks in Advance.

Homer80
Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I buy decks without graphics. theres still some nice NHS (Santa Cruz) and Dogtown blanks out on ebay,If you like the 90's style popcicle I recomend skater paige http://skatepaige.com/ there service is awesome. I sand the decks lightly with 150 sand paper and then paint them ( By brush) with gesso. I then transfer the Illustration to the board using pencil and tracing paper. All of the boards I have posted pics of so far have had black backgrounds. I cover the image with Badger medium tac frisket flim and then I use a flat black (or semi gloss) lacquer. I then paint the image using acrylics and then detail with ink using a rapidograph. I finish the deck with a gloss clear coat. that gives it real nice finish and still has the hand painted look. You can also airbrush on gesso with real good results. I do a lot of airbrushing but computer and airbrush art are starting to look real similar anymore and I want people to see the hand involvement in my work. Hope this helps.

In a country full of Neanderthals? I wear it as a fucking badge of honor!"

Rainbow Randolph Death to Smoochie
SantaCruzSkater
Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply! It's definately something for me to start with!

I would have started with a blank graphicless deck, but this deck I don't really care about and I want to get a feel of what I'm doing before I purchase something blank like that.

Homer80
Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:53 pm Reply with quote
SantaCruzSkater wrote:
Thanks for the reply! It's definately something for me to start with!

I would have started with a blank graphicless deck, but this deck I don't really care about and I want to get a feel of what I'm doing before I purchase something blank like that.

Sand it like I said and then a couple of coats of gesso and you be good to go. Th old graphics wont show through. You might want to sand the gesso with 00 steel wool before you paint it to get rid of brush strokes. ( I like the texture myself)

In a country full of Neanderthals? I wear it as a fucking badge of honor!"

Rainbow Randolph Death to Smoochie
Smakutus
Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 10 Dec 2001 Posts: 2932 Location: Meechigan.. Collect and Destroy!
You can also sand your hand painted colours to get rid of the brush strokes, and make things looks flat like they were sprayed or screened.. Or use sponges or other textured things to really go the other way.

Outt..
Jeff.

"what the heck you talking about i sent you the money weeks ago,and you still gaveme a negative feedback,and top it off never sent me the tape,its ebayers like you that screw people,Thanks for messing up my ratings jerk.."

A. Fuckingkissfan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
alvadude7
Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:54 pm Reply with quote
What exactly is gesso please and where can I find it . Looked for frisket and can't seem to find it at Michael's. I guess art stores would be another place to look? Any help is appreciated. thanks.
rbphenom15
Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:45 pm Reply with quote
They got Wal-mart where you live? Gesso is in the "arts and crafts" dept. there. Ask one of the old women to help you find it.
SantaCruzSkater
Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:49 am Reply with quote
I found it doing a search on google.com, it seems like it's a primer to me. But am not sure exactly.

modskin
Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:37 am Reply with quote
Gesso is a primer.. Its mainly used on canvas.. But I use it on paper, jackets, decks.. Whatever..

The original (traditional) gesso is made using marble dust and bone.. Now it's usually an acrylic.
Kehraus
Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:01 am Reply with quote
1. sand deck with 320 wet/dry sandpaper.
2. Spray with sealer. Let dry.
3. Spray primer. Let dry.
4. Spray paint. Let dry.
5. Wipe lightly with 0000 steel wool.
6. Apply last coat of paint. Let dry.

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next