SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  MANUFACTURERS FORUM  »  Ask Skinny
Page 2 of 9    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Ask Skinny

skinny
Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:04 pm Reply with quote
I like the Squeegy or flat scraper for resins, they tend to be slightly thicker than most glues. Also your tackiness time is much quicker cause of the chemicals working on eachother. When working with wood glue you want a slight tacky surface for the veneer, mostly cause it is the best time for the glue to activate in the oxygen atmosphire, once lamination occurs there will be no active oxygen in the laminate. Resins work on the chemical process they produce.
As a side note: most two part mix skateboard glues are based on a chemical reaction much like resin/ hardener mixes, however maple veneer is sensitive to temperature, and humidity. Both things effect the Oxygen inside the maple itself.
notaint
Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:54 pm Reply with quote
So truck holes. I hate those things. I build mostly 1 offs and cant figure out a template to work with the curves of each board. So I sit there measuring and remeasuring untill I screw up a finished board by drilling crooked truck holes.

What kind of medicine do you have for that?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
skinny
Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Honest to goodness you almost can't get around what is called a gang drill. The come pre assebled sometimes and if you were a good metal fabricator you could build a nice one. They are basically a drill press with a "gang" of drill bits powered by a gear set or sometimes a belt driven set of chucks. Most large operations set up a drill dedicated to a wheelbase, today it is most likely a 14 in wheelbase. Some higher tech shops have duel gang drills that can drill top and bottom at the same time. This is nesseccary for drilling more than 3 decks at once.

That wasn't what you asked I think, I am sorry to say that there is little medicine for the low tech or low budget wheel base. I actually use a steel straight yard stick, a sharp pencil and years of practice. I do know that a template is possible to make out of plate or cold rolled steel, or other hardened material. Take great care and get a drill press before attempting to drill the templates holes. You might be amazed at how good you can do with consistant measuring and a nice drill press, (Harbor Frieght HOLLA!) also buy wood specific bits with points and turn on and off the drill press with every hole you drill. It has become standard practice to use a slightly larger bit to accomidate the slight miss alignment the human eye can create. The size I use is: 13/64 american standard.
I hope that I cleared up something or gave you an idea to start with. If you want to see a low teck template set up check out the video "North" A guy in there has a little template rig.
childish gambino
Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Okay, 1st question - Where can I get veneers? Second question - What size press do you use? (in tons or psi)? We're buying ucut blanks right now but I like the idea of pressing them and I don't really know what equipment is used. I know hydraulic presses are used but don't know the specs and whatnot. Thanks.

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:26 pm Reply with quote
childish gambino wrote:
Okay, 1st question - Where can I get veneers? Second question - What size press do you use? (in tons or psi)? We're buying ucut blanks right now but I like the idea of pressing them and I don't really know what equipment is used. I know hydraulic presses are used but don't know the specs and whatnot. Thanks.

Ok, so now here is where I need some info. What are you planning on doing?
The reason I need to know is, my answers will be different depending on your plan. If you want to test out a mold and you need 1 kit of veneer or a way to order a container of 3500plus board feet each week? Do you need to build a row of about 20 presses or will 1 do? Are you selling them in stores or just making them for hobby? I will help if I can but I need to know how to answer.... cool?

Last edited by skinny on Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:50 am; edited 1 time in total
childish gambino
Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm unsure of how many we would be producing per day. But just for shits and giggles lets say 10. The plan is to sell them in stores. There is a couple of shops that seem into the ones that have been shaped from blanks. The plan is to make boards ranging in size 38" long to 33" and about 9.5" wide down to 8". Most of the shapes so far have been oldschool but we skate with a couple of guys that prefer popsicles so we'll probably do some of those too. Sorry for being kind of vague but I really don't know much about how big this thing is going to be. I'm thinking we'll start small and if it works out, take it from there. As far as budget goes let's not worry about how much we have and just keep it hypothetical(I don't know how to spell) and try to keep it as cheap as possible without it being crappy. Thanks again. I hope this helps you help me a little better. Later.

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:19 am Reply with quote

Last edited by skinny on Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:47 am; edited 1 time in total
childish gambino
Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Whoa. I wasn't trying to sound all rich or like a smart ass, sorry if I did. I was just trying to get a very general idea about what would be needed to press some decks. It seems I rubbed you the wrong way and that was not my intention. The truth is the reason I said not to worry about the cost of stuff was because I have no money(so therefore cost isn't an issue) but I may have access to some cash in the near future and just wanted some ideas to kick around with the other people that may be involved. Also I don't expect to be waiting for money to roll in. I just have enjoyed the process of helping to design and shape decks and I think pressing them ourelves would be the next step and also fun. Sorry if I pissed you off but you said "AsK Skinny" and since I have no idea about where to get started I did and it was vague because I don't know what I'm doin'(yarrr!). later

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:26 pm Reply with quote
ok I understand, write me @ we will have to talk.

Last edited by skinny on Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
childish gambino
Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Cool. Email sent.

Page 2 of 9    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next