SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  POOL, PARK, BANKS & PIPES  »  Wheels for concrete park?
Page 1 of 1    

Wheels for concrete park?

audiboy04
Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Okay, sort of a dumb question. But, being in Minnesota, and having pretty much all wood parks (except for the YMCA in Edina now, which is concrete), leads me to this question.

I've got really hard wheels - 101A/97A dual cores. I mainly skate our own little indoor ramp, which is covered with masonite. They work great. But, I'm planning on skating at a concrete park soon. Will I be all over (i.e., sliding) due to the fact that the wheels are too hard to grip the concrete? Should I find a set of softer wheels (the re-issued Santa Cruz wheels come to mind first), or will the hard wheels be fine?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

-D
MileHighSkates
Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 28 Apr 2004 Posts: 2708 Location: Boulder County, CO
It all depends on the surface of the 'crete, your ability, style, etc. For example, the Denver skatepark is quite slippery, and you usually need to run grippier wheels. The Boulder park, however, has more traction, so you can go with a harder wheel (both parks are outdoor concrete parks).

Good park wheels include: Conspiracy Alien Shots, Autobahn Enduros, Spitfire Salbas, Shitbird/IPS, Rainskates, ABEC11 NoSkoolz, BullDog Skates Mini-Dubs, and Powell SPF & Bowl Bombers.
audiboy04
Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:07 am Reply with quote
@Mile - I saw the powell SPFs fairly inexpensive online - might have to check those out. About the size I was looking for too. Thanks for your input!
old_timer
Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:15 am Reply with quote
Outlook has a 60mm Fennessie pro model out. I've been riding them for 2 months now and they're perfect for pool or ramps. Give'm a try....

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:52 am Reply with quote
Thanks!

I did end up at the concrete skatepark in Spencer, Iowa this past weekend. Only about 40 minutes south of my in-laws, and since I just happened to have my skate stuff with me, I made the trip. My normal hard wheels were just fine, along with some softer 97a wheels I had also on my old school deck. Nice park though - will be going back soon!

Page 1 of 1