SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  BUSINESS, SHOPS & RETAILERS  »  new company gettin decks into a shop?
Page 1 of 1    

new company gettin decks into a shop?

masonmayhem
Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 28 Oct 2004 Posts: 1376 Location: Redneck Riviera, AB
how does a small company go about getting product into a skate shop?

my company hasn't opened for business YET, but i'd like to know for future reference.

i think i would need a catalog and possibly even a sample at least, but are there anyother tactics i should use?

but if i can't get my stuff into a shop, i'm going to open a shop dedicated to independent skate companies.

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 17 May 2003 Posts: 1594 Location: Bombora's, California
Go down there. Bring a grip of stuff. Let them hold it, step on it, check it out.

Worked for me. I brought a half-dozen Afroman decks into a new shop a couple hours ago, and they're going to order every one.
oasis
Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:56 am Reply with quote
if your going beyond your local area you need to be known. they need to have heard of your company. don't just give them a call and send your catalog. go and talk with them. bring samples, catalogs, pricelists, stickers.

try to get kids to start asking for your stuff before you ven approach them. this is done with marketing, which is a whole other aspect. good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ThrashCan
Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:40 am Reply with quote
If your shit is good, they will buy it.
masonmayhem
Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 28 Oct 2004 Posts: 1376 Location: Redneck Riviera, AB
well i do have a shop from my home town that is willing to carry my product. old roommate of mine owns it.

but that's it for now.

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:04 pm Reply with quote
when i started i first went to all the people i knew who had shops and put my stuff in there on consignment. then i let the word try to spread for a bit. after i was in3 or 4 small shops i went to the biggers ones and work all on consignment. the only downside is you have to make sure you watch your shit. do check ups on your shit and keep tight tabs. show face and all your stores like onceevery 2 weeks. some peeps with failing shops might try to screw you watch out. its hard to ask money from friends who haveshops when there not doing to well. so make sure you have big ballz. keep business and friends seperate. but make buold a relationship with all stores.
MileHighSkates
Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 28 Apr 2004 Posts: 2708 Location: Boulder County, CO
dangersticks wrote:
Go down there. Bring a grip of stuff. Let them hold it, step on it, check it out.

Worked for me. I brought a half-dozen Afroman decks into a new shop a couple hours ago, and they're going to order every one.

Production has resumed?
dangersticks
Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 17 May 2003 Posts: 1594 Location: Bombora's, California
MileHighSkates wrote:
Production has resumed?

To an extent. I believe the Hustler is next in line.
MileHighSkates
Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 28 Apr 2004 Posts: 2708 Location: Boulder County, CO
dangersticks wrote:
MileHighSkates wrote:
Production has resumed?

To an extent. I believe the Hustler is next in line.

PM or e-mail me. Would like to order, possibly.
Fedupskateboards
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Yeah this is going to be hard for you. I got lucky ...the first 4 shops or so i asked was like "sure man we'll carry whatever" and after that it got kind of hard.

Consignment is pretty much lame, but sometimes its the best thing you can get being a new brand. Most shops will be pretty much cool with it. They have nothing to lose. The only downsides are that its A. hard to get more boards before those are sold (your decks just left and you got nothing in return) and B. you have to keep up with it and watch your decks and make trips/phone calls to the shop a lot. It's definately a cool thing though and shouldn't turn you down.

When I first started I was down for going big fast, but doesn't matter how hard you try or work ...its not gonna happen anytime soon. Start locally ...go to every shop possible and just become friends with the guys. ask em if you can drop off a few decks.

Even then ...boards don't sell themselves. You will have to advertise by word of mouth or throwing stickers everywhere or just anyway you can to get your demand higher. Maybe even get a team together.

Also, when I started I sold my decks pretty high ($30 wholesale) ...a board at that price (without demand) won't get bought retail. Some shops I consign at $23 in exchangement to become the cheapest graphic board in there store. It helps with the skaters on a low budget and they sale a lot faster. So honestly the problem isn't getting shops to buy boards from you ...its getting them to keep buying the boards.
Hope I helped,
Josh @ FEDUP

Page 1 of 1