SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  MANUFACTURERS FORUM  »  looking for a MANUFACTURER for decks
Page 5 of 7    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

looking for a MANUFACTURER for decks

skinny
Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:56 am Reply with quote
So let me get this straight...
Woodchuck is importing chinese blanks in order to cut costs to sell here in the U.S.
Then they ship the Canadian made decks to china to sell to the shops there? to combat "unpure" chinese decks.
Fuck those guys. I right now suggest that anyone currently using their shop, switch to a manufacturer that does not dabble in that shit. This is the greatest power you have. If you don't support business practices like that it won't happen for long.
Just out of curiosity do they print "made in china" on the decks they screen?
Remember they are a woodshop dependent on guys like you. So make sure they won't have syrup on their pancakes, at least not stuff payed for with american jobs.
TenetSW
Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 04 Dec 2004 Posts: 639 Location: on the outside looking in
here here! skiny.
this is the email i sent in response:

Hey Sean.

I have spoken with quite a few individuals about this point and we all agreed on the same thing that you just said, "at least they are honest about it." I understand the competition that you face, but I do also know of the skaters you sponsor, tha companies you guys own, and I see the distribution of chinese wood to still be a way to further your profits to a point where it was past good taste. It may be important for the owner of your company to become the next Rocco, but as I understand it you guys are the leaders in advancing the materials and technology of skating but still find it necessary to sell crap on the side. It doesn't make sense.

Thanks.

Ryan

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:32 pm Reply with quote
@sik

go with penn's. you won't be dissappointed.

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Yeah thanks Trupah I guess I will have to consider my market and write down the pro's and con's of each company. Wife is going to kill me but I will be out skating in like a week sporting the cast and wrist guard .lol!!!

Woodchuck gives you the option for china wood they don't recommend the china crap but they do offer it if you want to go �hat route. Kind of like a double edged sword I guess if you think about it. But I guess it's different when your dealing with huge amounts of product to keep your Manufacturing company a float and competitive in the large market. Don't know how much they sell the China wood to the market though.

This is what they say on there price sheet about the China wood.

" Please note that although these decks are of high quality, they do tend to warp and crack easier than our regular OEM products. Also note they are the same as what you might get from your other well known made in china brands, we are just up front about it�

All of our Chinese products obey labeling laws and we strongly encourage our clients to do the same."

So they are upfront about it but there Canadian Maple wood is the shit and that's what I love and that�s all I'm really interested in is there good stuff..
skinny
Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:39 pm Reply with quote
[quote="

This is what they say on there price sheet about the China wood.

" Please note that although these decks are of high quality, they do tend to warp and crack easier than our regular OEM products. Also note they are the same as what you might get from your other well known made in china brands, we are just up front about it�

All of our Chinese products obey labeling laws and we strongly encourage our clients to do the same."

So they are upfront about it but there Canadian Maple wood is the shit and that's what I love and that�s all I'm really interested in is there good stuff..[/quote]
Thats where you sir are mis-informed
There are many grades of maple veneer. Although woodchuck is close to their source for maple. That does not mean that the chinese made decks contain quality maple. "Canadian maple" is a tag used for marketing. In fact higher quality maple is regularly produced in the U.S. great lakes. The differences are there, but they are not seen by the general public. "Canadian maple" is just that maple grown in Canada. The thing is that the maple being harvested for chinese use is very young maple and the trees cut are almost anywhere in Canada. The stuff in the U.S. is older and comes from larger trees. I could go into more but I have already in previous posts.
"Canadian maple" is like saying "We can't advertize this as american maple"
Don't get me wrong there are excellent trees available up there but they are just not being cut right now, mostly because of permitting cost. You see the older trees are more expensive to harvest...you need permission to cut any tree older than 40-50 years. Thats how it is in the U.S. but Canada might not be the same.
Slob tells me that there are some people still grading and hand picking logs, but for the most part it is up to the mills these days. When your mill makes the same profit off of any tree ,you won't go to any extra effort to get good ones.
I can get the good stuff though...

Last edited by skinny on Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
TRUpah
Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:44 pm Reply with quote
what about PRIME yall....
anyone got any dirt on them?
they seem like some straight bros and their prices are on point?
anyone here deal with them?
skinny
Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I am sure that Josh P. will give you all the details, but they are indeed a really good shop. They also protect the american made sateboard. In a big way they got burned hardest by the chinese manufacturing, (they were dwindles main shop)
Concaves, construction, graphics...all top notch.
TenetSW
Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:01 pm Reply with quote
yeah, if anyone took it hard it had to be them. i would definately consider them if i wasn't already hooked up with penn's. watson and csf already have more business than just about anyone on the market, so they aren't really someone i would consider except for the fact that csf does really sick ultra violet baking of their graphics along with their wave technology that i swear causes better sliding and strength.

just do what you think is right. asking questions is the first part, but sifting through to your own conclusion is the toughest.

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:56 pm Reply with quote
skateboard printing wasnt bad to me, nothing major that pissed me off. Just lack of communication...standard shit. Wood isnt bad.

Mimic was good to me and their prices are good. I did recieve two decks with 6 plys and had some misprints. Lots of confusion and trouble getting all the sizes I asked for. I'm a total pain in the ass to work with though. Kinda soggy wood.

Tired of dealing with companies in Cali....too many climate changes and too much money when shipping decks.

Prime is def a good choice. They have the fuckin moster mold and shit. Plenty of shapes to choose from. I duno if they do any screening. I know they to transfers. $150 setup fee. They are willing to work with you and aim to please.

Spoke with Chapman (nobody has mentioned them, they do zoo york) The owner seems cool and I'm sure they do great work. Minimum order is 50 decks which turned me off. Based in NY, professional, no complaints.

Worked out a deal with Penns and will be doin a test run to make sure everything goes smoothly. They have been very helpful, I cant comment on quality yet. You'll have to take tenet's word for it.
TenetSW
Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:23 pm Reply with quote
anyone seriously considering going with penn's pm me and we'll work out somethin nice for a sample

Page 5 of 7    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next