SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  BUSINESS, SHOPS & RETAILERS  »  Shop labour- do you charge for it?
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Shop labour- do you charge for it?

Area 51
Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 11 Mar 2005 Posts: 840 Location: Incredibly distant star
I don't charge for shop labour, just wondering if you do or if your local shop charges (if you aren't a shop owner or employee).

What about tools? Do you allow your customers to use your tools? I do, although most of my customers seem to like the shop to do the work.
auragreg
Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 31 Aug 2004 Posts: 2382 Location: Highland, Michigan, USA, Earth
I'm a little iffy about letting them cut their own grip ... but other than that I let em do their own stuff if they want.

I dont charge for labor ... i kinda see it as a perk.

Now, if they buy everything from somewhere else and expect me to put it together .... that's another story.

Same with snowboards. I'll be damned if some parent buys a cheap board somewhere else and then expects me to set it up for em!

Support skateboard art/artists: http://www.etsy.com/shop/BurbSkateboards
skinny
Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I don't belive that charging for sho labor is right. I also don't think that letting the customer set up their own deck there is right....
Leaving some tools tied to a work bench is nice to offer.
The guy behind the counter should have enough knowledge to change a bearing and a bushing and grip a deck. I f he doesn't don't hire him.
Area 51
Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:57 pm Reply with quote
I'll let them cut their own grip with he caveat that if they blow it, it's on them.

The one biggest pain in the ass is replacing buttonhead kingpins. Those are a bitch, although I've figured out a few tricks. Still time consuming though.
Area 51
Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:08 pm Reply with quote
skinny wrote:
I also don't think that letting the customer set up their own deck there is right....

What's wrong with that? Some people prefer to do it.

Although I remember reading in TW Biz that it's a potential liability problem for customers to set their own stuff up at a shop. But what isn't a potential liability in the Sue-nited States???
ThrashCan
Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Only thing when I worked at a shop was re-grips, that shit will cost you. Stupid little kids and cheap ass parents.
skinny
Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:47 pm Reply with quote
I have seen people cut themselves, break display glass, and walk off with tools. Most skateboarder kids won't sue, but why take the chance. I belive that the shop workers should be able to handle little tasks without any complaints, I looked at it as a part of the gig. Most kids will wait around if you are busy.
auragreg
Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:58 am Reply with quote
Joined: 31 Aug 2004 Posts: 2382 Location: Highland, Michigan, USA, Earth
I refuse to re-grip unless the old grip is already off the deck. It takes too long to rip all that old stuff off.

Support skateboard art/artists: http://www.etsy.com/shop/BurbSkateboards
Adrian
Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:52 am Reply with quote
same here we won't regrip unless it's already off, and then it's going over the bolts. I do everything I can to convince them they don't need new grip, they just need to clean it or save for a new deck.
I was thinking the other day that maybe $1 for new axle nuts isn't worth when you have to re-thread all the axles.
but It's good customer service to tune up anything they need, I don't like seeing them ride ghetto setups.
Area 51
Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I'll re-grip boards, but it's a pain when you have to take the trucks off (especialy trucks with bolts under the hanger- I use a drill that spins the nut). I usualy tell 'em that the old griptape has to be removed first, but sometimes I'm a nice guy and will do it if I have the time. A heat gun helps.

I don't clean bearings, but I'll re-lube 'em if they are getting new wheels and putting in their old bearings (if they have an open side). It provides a good demonstration on how just a bit of lube every once in a while can extend their life.

Free shop labour is one of those necessary things that lets you go the extra mile and I think it pays off in the long run.

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next