SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  VIDEO & IMAGES  »  old school reunion at a secret spot near Paris
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

old school reunion at a secret spot near Paris

beton hurlant
Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 7:33 am Reply with quote
I'm a mod on a french forum, the oldschool forum mod that is, the forum is full of groms who keep asking the how high can you ollie type of questions all the time and wonder why are those plastic rails on my board are for... anyway, one of those kid opened a topic where he invited the old geezers like me to sess at a secret bowl he found near paris...

my ailing grand father is leaving nearby, so even if the trip ( 450 miles )would cost me a bunch I decided to go...
after receiving the directions by phone to keep the secrecy, Imet the guys at an old style bowl, not very rad but nice...
we started to crack open some beers and chat about the old time (I met some of 'em 20 years ago and haven't seem em since, one of them even stole the banana ramp in my town in 79, and I met him for the first time at the bowl.. ) and then it started to rain... we headed to a bar nearby and chatted more, I had to leave to spend some time with my old grand father, the others went to a mini ramp close to the bar when the weather was good enough...
I spoke about s&b and concrete wave, and it was a blast to have all these people together for the love of skateboarding, beers and because of a grom started something somewhere on a forum...
we are planning another reunion near my house in july, I hope that Dem (uhuhuhuhu_something on s&b)who is in germany will come too...
I loved it so much I thought I'd share with you guys, thanks for reading...

FLICKR
bfg1971
Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 7:41 am Reply with quote
That looks like you guys had a fun time. Good for you. It's rad that a grom set that up.
SkateRags
Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:59 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Great story and pics, I am sure your grandfather was happy to see you too.
slob-air
Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
Cool. That bowl looks hella fun. Lipslide heaven.

Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Sep 2003 Posts: 2954 Location: pedro point, nor cal
Those are the kind of bowls that we would have been so stoked to have found back in the day. Now we're so spoiled with all these new skatepark bowls though. Here's one my son and I skated in Japan last week. It was pretty cramped and bumpy though, but hey, once upon a time I would have been in heaven to have stumbled upon something like this...

slob-air
Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
Where's that one, Slim? Looks fun too!

Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 11:50 pm Reply with quote
It's at an outdoor public free skate park called Umi Kaze Koen (ocean breeze park) in Yokosuka, which is an hour or so from Tokyo. There is a US Navy base there so some of the sailor types might have been there.

The day we went it was freezing cold and crazy windy (well, it is umi kaze park after all). That bowl is kind of small but it could be fun. I was still hobbled by a twisted ankle from another park earlier in the week so didn't want to skate too much. 90a wheels were good for the rough concrete. The rest of the "park" was like street obstacles and some banks with angle iron coping. The cement on all the flat surfaces was really smooth at least. Here a shot of Akira on one of the banks (my digital camera timing sucks):

dangersticks
Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 12:55 am Reply with quote
Joined: 17 May 2003 Posts: 1594 Location: Bombora's, California
Both of those bowls remind me of "The Crater", which was a small agricultural reservoir very close to where Eddie Boy's grandparents were caretakers of a nursery in the 40's. In fact, my uncle's nursery and greenhouses were on the adjacent property to The Crater.

I think skating found stuff like that was the most fun I ever had skateboarding. I would still rather go hit a reservoir, drainage ditch, or backyarder than a skatepark any day.

Skateboarding is so fun. I love skateboarding.
Slim
Posted: Sun May 22, 2005 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I just came across pics of gravity team rider "cabbage" and hey, he's at that very bowl i posted pics of from yokosuka, japan...

ukskatefiend
Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 1:03 pm Reply with quote
hey slim what day were you at yokosuka i went and skated that bowl on the 20th. so hard to ride i manged some fastplants and a couple of frontside ollie's thats it

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next