SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SKATEBOARD ART  »  How & Where To Market My Work???
Page 2 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

How & Where To Market My Work???

atxJIMatx
Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 1:19 am Reply with quote
also .. I dunno if there are many near where you are, but funky little cafes and coffee house type places are good spots to approach about hanging some work... (edit to add) with price tags hanging next to the pieces, of course...
AlvaCollector
Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 3:20 am Reply with quote
ghostcavalry wrote:

My love for God's creatures goes deeper than appreciation of what is cute and cuddly... I strive to present scenes that show just how much beauty and diversity there is in the natural world, even one that borders on fantasy, and why we should'nt take any of the smallest things in our world for granted... These skateboards act as a kind of window to see IN...as much as something to look AT as an ordinary object...

You better start hanging out on the Peta messageboard and for once I'm NOT being a smartass. Animal lovers would eat those things up. seriously.

-AC
AlvaCollector
Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 3:21 am Reply with quote
double post.
ghostcavalry
Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 9:52 am Reply with quote
Thanks all, I'm taking notes, keep thoughts coming!

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 3:20 pm Reply with quote
The next art show I do is June 18 that will be the first show for my boards. I will not have a price on them and I wont sell then at this show. I painted my boards as a possible vehicle to help get my work into more galleries. I would like to see, down the line a bunch of us SnBers with hand painted boards get together and do a show or gallery. I dont always see a lot of success with the hand painted stuff on ebay but if we can get more of and intrest and awareness to whats out there then who knows.

In a country full of Neanderthals? I wear it as a fucking badge of honor!"

Rainbow Randolph Death to Smoochie
ghostcavalry
Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 4:33 pm Reply with quote
That is a great idea. And I agree, eBay isn't the place for unknown artists to make a living at all. I need to get up with the right people.

I lke the show idea, and I have had folks tell me to try to shows, well I guess it depends on the theme, right? These tame nature decks are not anything that would fit in just any skateboard art venue.

I think I may try Sharpie drawings on some decks and see...maybe even have a variety to offer. But I'm not good at the very things guys are good at such as skulls and buff chicks...but I sure as shit can't paint that well, either.

I had this image when I was napping today of a deck that looks like a stained glass window, too, so I may try that.

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:11 pm Reply with quote
ghostcavalry wrote:
That is a great idea. And I agree, eBay isn't the place for unknown artists to make a living at all. I need to get up with the right people.

I lke the show idea, and I have had folks tell me to try to shows, well I guess it depends on the theme, right? These tame nature decks are not anything that would fit in just any skateboard art venue.

I think I may try Sharpie drawings on some decks and see...maybe even have a variety to offer. But I'm not good at the very things guys are good at such as skulls and buff chicks...but I sure as shit can't paint that well, either.

I had this image when I was napping today of a deck that looks like a stained glass window, too, so I may try that.

When I see your work I think of parrotheads and Island music. Now I know I might listen to Slayer and My Dying Bride and Mushroomhead BUT I also listen to Jimmy Buffett , Bob Marley and Inner circle. The right show
and you fit right in, as far as skateboards go , Dont rule out painting a longboard with a jungle or beach scene. I think the whole longboard idea is a little more laid back.

In a country full of Neanderthals? I wear it as a fucking badge of honor!"

Rainbow Randolph Death to Smoochie
SkaterX
Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Plus being bigger canvasses, = more work, = more $
lilsheeda
Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 2:48 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
My sister is a cut and paster - crazy shit/skills. She's gone everywhere from skateshops to galleries shopping her boards and other work. She's heard everything from "Good work, bad medium" to people offering even more dough for a custom- still no gallery showing yet (In Seattle). Think it's spreading the word and simply getting out there. Think she's working on getting a stockpile to shop more galleries - and ask for a few more bucks. But if you're going at it as a job, be ready to work it as a job. My "artistic career" never got off the ground for that reason alone.

Don't restrict yourself to ebay, etc. Busking / PETA - even the humane society...you just never know. Someone may pay some extra dough to get their furry friend on a board.

Get your brushes ready!
JEC_31
Posted: Sun May 29, 2005 12:11 am Reply with quote
I say let your art run free onto other objects, not just limited to skateboards.
Paint chairs, tables, garage doors, lamps, vases, canvas, hell paint canvas shoes!
The rich tapestry of nature always takes over our silly baubles of civilization eventually. Why not let your art do the same?
I would dig a mural of your style, encompassing a wall and most of the furniture in a room. Make it a jungle ruled by cats!

Boards are great because they're art in motion, an expression of the swirl of creation and destruction that's existence. Skating itself is art, and everything connected to it shows it.
But I suspect that unless you land a job with some major company you're not going to bring home that kind of bacon with boards.

Whatever you do - keep us posted!

Page 2 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next