SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SKATEBOARD ART  »  art photography portfolio
Page 1 of 1    

art photography portfolio

tyler 309
Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 12:43 pm Reply with quote
this is my art photography final portfolio. it's got more of a new school feel to it, but i though some of you guys may enjoy it.

*sorry about the one in the tunnel being so big...i'm having a hell of a time resizing it.
lightnin'
Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:38 am Reply with quote
I'm not going to critique your work,
but I will say that [u]HAVE YOU SEEN HIM?[u]
is the best out of those.
A portfolio should definately have a flow,
put your best piece first(hit 'em right
off the bat); keep 'em interested(by
having all good pieces) and finish it off
with another great pic.
My choice of first pic=have you seen him
My choice of last pic=tunnel

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:24 pm Reply with quote
haha...when i showed them i had the blurred one off the steps first and the tunnel last.
i just coppied and pasted the links with out even seeing the order.

thanks for the comment though
ShackleMeNot
Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:57 am Reply with quote
best tip I have is always try to keep the entire skater in the frame, and facing the camera. Looks alot better when composed that way.

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:46 am Reply with quote
Nice work. Have You Seen Him is the best, it's crisp and quiet and leads the eye down then back up. Excellent composition and messaging.
I also liked the half-blurred one, total sensation of speed.

My pickiness: to the non-skater, still shots of flip tricks look exactly like still shots of guy falling off his board - and with the top of his skull cropped too.

You did capture his facial expression very well, though, which I feel is the forgotten heart of people-action photography.

The other day my local newspaper ran a pic in the sports section of a girl winding up to pitch a wicked softball, and the intensity of her concentration and almost-snarl just floored me. The facial expression turns a picture into a person.

When I shot my friends skating I could never get a lot of life out of the pics. I should start doing that again and try harder.

Thanks for sharing - keep it up!

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:00 pm Reply with quote
thanks for the tips guys.
this was the first real art project i did envolving skating. i will be in an independent study next year focusing on just 2 or 3 projects and you can bet one of them will be over skating.

i hate to think how many 36 exposure rolls i shot for this. at least 10 or 12
JEC_31
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:16 pm Reply with quote
My photography teacher, who in his youthful days studied under Ansel Adams, always told us it did not matter how much film we used. He said the more the better.

Practice, practice! Just like skating.

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:45 pm Reply with quote
JEC_31 wrote:
My photography teacher, who in his youthful days studied under Ansel Adams, always told us it did not matter how much film we used. He said the more the better.

Practice, practice! Just like skating.

One of my teachers also studied under him, and later on under his lab assistant. Taught me more in 2 classes than I've learned in the rest of my schooling.

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Yeah - my Adams-taught prof drilled things into my thick little skull that I am physically unable to forget. I was one of his worst students (his words, and I gotta agree) and I came away from his classes with a wealth of basic skills and a firm grasp of the incredible depth of this medium.

Jonathan's story was that he took up photography and got some of Ansel's books. He didn't quite understand something in one of them and actually found Ansel Adam's phone number and called him for an explanation. He's kinda intense and direct like that. Ansel listened to his problem and said, "Well you should come out here so I can show you." So Jonathan ended up living in Ansel's house for 6 months.

He was very talented, I was always slack-jawed at his work on the very rare occasions when he showed us some. He chose to pass on the gems of knowledge Ansel had given him, so he came back to Grand Rapids and eventually turned our little community college photography hobby-class into a career choice degree program.

Sorry for the hijack!

Page 1 of 1