SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  VIDEO & IMAGES  »  And this is why i want my money back!
Page 4 of 5    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

And this is why i want my money back!

LanceM
Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:32 pm Reply with quote
If you're picking up that Slim thinks he should have been a pro, and is bitter, you need to read his posts again.

Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Sep 2003 Posts: 2954 Location: pedro point, nor cal
falconneil wrote:
Slim, if you could do that stuff then (1983/84) then you should have been a pro too. If you mean that you could do it after the video got released in 86 or something, then too bad. That stuff had been invented and perfected by guys like GSD and COB 2 years earlier. You were just copying what they invented. Big difference. Like I say though, if you were doing hazards and boneless ones in 83, then you should have been a pro too. Then Cartman could be complaining about having your board.

I thought we were comparing that video part to average skaters of that era. If so, then 83 is out of the question and what we are talking about is if any of the skating by O'B on that video part was evidence of pro-worthiness or not compared to other skaters at the time the video came out.

For the record, I didn't invent shit. But by 84/85 (don't think I've learned much since) I could do boneless on vert (fresno ark ramp, my backyard 10'+2' ramp, whatever), and layback rollouts (not as stylish as DP surely), rock slides, rail slides on street curb things as far as a full speed push into it would take me, etc. Lots of guys could do that. Probably thousands in California alone and no, we shouldn't have been pros.

What drew the line between pros and regular guys was not lip tricks and foot down tricks: it was the aerial stuff - I've never done an air over 3' in my life, and have never done anything other than frontside tuckknee, backside, and lien to tails. Meanwhile, guys like Hosoi and Hawk and Miller and all the other pros were blasting all kinds of crazy airs over my head as I stood on the deck at Del Mar (hell, i saw mcgill do a mctwist in '84 in the skaterach keyhole even). That's when I realized the difference between me and those guys. Oh, and I couldn't do inverts worth shit either.

My only point is that the skating in the video part posted above was pretty average for the mid-80s. (i don't know when the video came out but if you say '86 then it was average at least a year earlier).

Having said that, a weak video part does not take away from the fact that O'Brien was a cool pro with a cool deck and deserves props. But let's not kid ourselves about that video part. Cool, fun, stylish, but not exactly mind-blowing.
eddie boy
Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:33 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 03 Jun 2003 Posts: 5895 Location: Shadowlands/San Jo � Norte�o

there it is.

let's end this shit right fucking now.

Call that nummber most evenings and ask for Corey.

Tell him you want the money back, then shut the fuck up about it.

Case closed.

Last edited by eddie boy on Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Slim
Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Sep 2003 Posts: 2954 Location: pedro point, nor cal
Oh, the case was closed a long time ago (around the time of the steamroom posts, ha!). Jury has reached a verdict and Cartman is a kook!

We're bs-ing about other stuff now, ha!
Stubbs
Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:40 pm Reply with quote
And you might want to redact that Corey O. phone number, EB, (if it is in fact his) before he's swamped with calls from collectors begging him for NOS Reapers.
eddie boy
Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:56 pm Reply with quote
that the number for his Club in San Jose.

The Blank Club.
dangersticks
Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 17 May 2003 Posts: 1594 Location: Bombora's, California
That's the number for the Blank Club. Formerly Fuel 44, formerly some other name I can't remember, before that a transmission shop. Corey and Larry's gig. The only place left to see decent live music in the 11th largest city in the US.

eddie boy
Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:00 pm Reply with quote
saw Eddie and The Hot-Rods there Sunday night.

Best show I've seen in a longtime.

New bands should take lessons from thiis band.

Rock, the way it was meant to be played.
falconneil
Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 03 Feb 2002 Posts: 4420 Location: Chicago, IL originally from Liverpool, England
Eddie and the hot rods? Fuck, those guys must be pushing 55 by now. All of the punks in 77 used to rip on them for being "pub-rock". They do have some great songs though. Was it the full original band?

Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 03 Feb 2002 Posts: 4420 Location: Chicago, IL originally from Liverpool, England
Slim, I'm not trying to be argumentative, just trying to point out that there's a difference between the guys that invented the shit, and the skaters that came afer and could copy and perfect it. And aerials are not what drew the line between the pros and the normal guys. vert pros, maybe, but guys like COB and GSD were the first steet vanguard, and their street tricks, though tame by todays standards, were ahead of their time then. If you have Speed Freaks, watch COBs mini ramp stuff. Pretty fucking impressive.

And yes, cartman is a kook.

Page 4 of 5    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next