SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  TATTOOS  »  Off topic general tattooing question...
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Off topic general tattooing question...

The Green Monkey
Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 1:27 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 15 Jun 2002 Posts: 14107 Location: Fucking a giant scorpion, duh.
Seth, Grime, Shitbird, or anyone else for that matter, I've been trying to figure something out for a little while for no particular reason other than simple curiosity.
Does the black community tend to have their own tattoo artists that generally only do work on other black people, kind of like the barber shop scene, or is the tattooing industry pretty integrated? Do you get the feeling that it's more popular among black people to do amateur tattoos? I'm wondering just because it seems like most of the tattoos that I see on black athletes seem to have such a marked contrast in style and detail to those that you see on white people. Not that all white people have great tattoos and all black people have badly done ones, by no means am I trying to say that, I obviously recognize that there are plenty of exceptions on both sides of the fence, but I think you all can probably see what I'm trying to say.
I realize that there are some pigment issues that probably only magnify the perceived distinction, but it seems like a lot of the tattoos on black athletes (with the notable exception of Dennis Rodman) are only done in black ink, and are often poorly done at best. Do other colors just not show up at all beyond a certain shade of skin, or is it just unpopular?
I'm not trying to stir up some Independent trucks-style bigotry hornets nest argument here, I'm just curious about this and figured that someone in the know could probably explain all this to me pretty easily.

Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 2:41 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
Nice... errr... tats

http://www.vanishingtattoo.com/tattoo/celeb-aguilera.htm
The Green Monkey
Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 2:59 am Reply with quote
Awesome! What a dirty slut. I love it! Where can I order three?

Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 4:16 am Reply with quote
Joined: 16 Jul 2002 Posts: 1311 Location: Damn, this thing got tet-tris
what do you call a black guy in the cockpit of an airplane?

a pilot, you racist fucks!

now tats... i think there are a few reasons for your generalization.
firstly, very few pigments stay "true" to their perceived color under skin w/ a fair amount of melanin. black is by far the most effective in terms of contrast and legibility- as well as longevity, in general. red and medium green also work fairly well depending on complexion. orange, yellow, blue and purple less so, and pastels simply turn to a gross brown.
with that said it's easy to see why those w/ dark complexions would be better suited to a limited- and in the layman's eyes- less vibrant palete. also, smaller details are almost moot when someone's skin is merely a few shades lighter than the ink. how ya gonna see the eyelashes when you can hardly tell it's a womans head? the simpler the better for darker complexions.

secondly, how many pro athletes have good taste in the arts? alright then.

as for black people tending towards black tattooist- it's hard to say. black tattooers are few and far between whereas white tattooers are like a teenager's acne. my friends run a shop in the bronx and none of that tattooers are black (whites, ricans, cubans) yet they have a big black clientele. i know that is not the best example...
it's all the same shit- everywhere for everything: people are influnced by price, reputation, friends' opinions, convenience, and a bunch of other incalcuable variables like whether or not they got laid last night, stubbed their toe in the morning, or fought off the urge to kill themselves or someone else for the moment.
The Green Monkey
Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Cool. Thanks for the help, Grime.

Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 4:02 pm Reply with quote
not to stir the race pot, cuz im the furthest thing from racist and i dont really hink this has to completely do with that, but 90% of (enter PC word for african american) and 50% of cheap ass rednecks/wiggers just want a cheap tattoo. they go to the cheapest, easiest, dirtiest shop that will tattoo anyone while their smoking and their dog is licking the area your getting scratched up (we all know scratching is the only way to describe that shit). at least thats my take from the ghetto ass m'fers from stlouis getting work done in living rooms and the fools that would come into my buddies shop telling us about their "boy that does it out of his house, anything you want for fiddy dollas."

ps. if anyone on here and lurking that tattoos in boston/NH area and is looking/willing to apprentice let me know...i missed my opportunity back home and im deeply regretting it.
Gusto
Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 4:06 pm Reply with quote
i forgot to type in my name. i posted that above. sorry.
Neuman
Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Must be that short term memory loss acting up in your old age.....

Any pre-1998 Jason Adams deck
Any James Kelch deck
Any Blue or Stereo stuff. Preferably Jason Lee.
Gusto
Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 4:31 pm Reply with quote
could be the drugs and alcohol.

hey, dont you have spelling homework or some high school extra curricular function to be attending, kiddo?
Shitbird
Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 2:58 am Reply with quote
Monkey..
About 70% of my business is from the Afro-American community...and I am white.
I dig tattooing black skin...because the shit goes in like buttah.
Like Grime said...you have to choose your palette wisely...and like Gusto said...some muthafuckas is cheap. You just have to do you best..offer the best quality...and let the dipshits keep walkin'.
I have a strong clientele...because people know I care...and have put myself out there to do good work where it was not available.
Now I have three ghetto assed shops that have opened near me in the past year or so...and I could give a fuck.
Good clients know good work...and everyone else can go get chopped-up.
Not my problem.
"Do you mind if we dance wif' yo' dates?"
That kinda sums it up with black atheletes, SOME of the time...I have tattooed a few NFL dudes since they were in high school...and they appreciated good work...and when they are in town...they come and get more.
S'all good!!

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next