SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SNOWBOARDS  »  Anyone tried the Burton Fish?
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anyone tried the Burton Fish?

knowskateboarding
Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:42 am Reply with quote
Joined: 14 Nov 2001 Posts: 2813 Location: Monster Island(NYC)
Bueller?
Upland_Yo
Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:09 am Reply with quote
yup, they are the shizzle. I was thinking of picking up a used one myself.
smo
Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:13 am Reply with quote
Upland_Yo wrote:
yup, they are the shizzle. I was thinking of picking up a used one myself.

ditto
knowskateboarding
Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:42 am Reply with quote
Nice, thanks guys. since I bought a 173 split I have been wanting a larger board for Utah resort powder days. Normally I ride a 157 and set it back for those days, but it doesn't have near the float that the 173 obviously had and I don't want to ride the split at a resort. I'm eyeing the 160 fish. It looks so weird when I was holding it in the Burton store. I'm assuming riding switch is not really an option on that thing and there are days that I ride switch the whole day, but not pow days so much.
grandpa ronin
Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 05 Sep 2003 Posts: 760 Location: 3 Feet Below the Coping
I'm broke but I'm still curious how that thing rides switch. When I'm with beginners I'll ride switch to keep from being totally bored.

Upland_Yo
Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:21 am Reply with quote
not so good in the deeeeeep stuff but other than that it's fine
knowskateboarding
Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:36 pm Reply with quote
thanks upland, I think you've convinced me.
Upland_Yo
Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I need to get a new powder board and I am thinking about that fish as well. I am leaning towards a salomon era 167 because I can get it on proform and because salomon boards are fuckin sweet. I keep scanning ebay for a used fish for those special days. The fish would be the shit in Utah for sure. That thing just floats like no other board I have ridden. The short tail keeps the front end up and in Utah you need all the help you can get.
Juarez
Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:45 pm Reply with quote
The Fish is a sick board but it is absolutely not for everyone and the opinions about it are wide-ranging. This is my unbiased review:

First off, everything Burton claims, with the exception of the
"no rear leg burn" is true. The board's shape does exactly what they say...it sinks itself and turns quick and floats really well. What everyone must understand is that, even though it works in other places, the Fish was developed to do one thing better than any other, and that's ride the woods at Stowe on a powder day. It was born for this, unfortunately the things that make it good for that can turn into liabilities quickly, even on those same powder days.

Because it's short and you're WAY back on the tail the board can get seriously out of sorts when you're going fast...all that work and energy you saved in the trees, making your little surf turns and slashes? You're going to need it the second you point it. Running a Fish wide-open (I'm not talking about moving along, I'm talking about really hauling the mail) means you need to concentrate and...I guess the best way to put it is that you all of a sudden need to start doing a lot of the work when you get going fast. My two hairiest moments last year involved the same thing: landing a jump in powder and pointing it. You PRAY that the board is not going to give out on you...a Fish yardsale is a VERY messy proposition. If you've ever ridden a real powder board (long, like a Frontier, old, long Supermodel, Cascade, etc.) those boards really feel like they are THERE for you at any speed, especially through chop. Just lift the nose and bulldoze whatever's in your way. Not so with the Fish.

Some say "Man, I even ride my Fish on groomer." Whatever. The Fish is a quiver board, just like a Split.

Light, short people can make a Fish work really well. I am short but not light, which may be why I am putting the hurting on it. A friend of mine is 5' 6" and he weighs about 140 and never has the same problems I have (I am the same height but 165) and he and I ride similar speed-wise.

If you are bigger or taller or don't want to take chances, SERIOUSLY look at a Malolo. Last year we had a decent snow year here and I almost always used it instead of my Fish because even when it dumped I didn't want to take chances with the board blowing out at the tail (which it did twice on me...)

Both boards are really fun. They ride like snowboards used to, but without the weight penalty. If you can find a good used one get it.
Upland_Yo
Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:03 pm Reply with quote
could have used a fish today, lots of new snow last night and it was light and dry. It was 18 degrees this morning, still snowing, and no tourists for the first hour...sweet.

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next