SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SCREEN PRINTING  »  just printed my first boards today.
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

just printed my first boards today.

raagee
Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Hello.i've been thinking about screening boards for a while now.I had an idea of how it was done.but that was only an idea.about a fortnight ago i stumbled upon this forum.i couldnt believe it, i ordered a few blank decks,made a table,bought some wood,contacted a screenprinting supplies place and gave it my best shot.I picked up my first frame yesterday and set everything up.one minor problem the screen guy put the stencil on the wrong way round,he thought i was gona screen the top of the deck.1st lesson learned,explain clearly what you want. i was up at six am and my garage print shop was in operation.
1st shot was a little sketchy,2nd a little better,the 3rd was damn fine.the print is backwards but it's ok im just callin them the mirror boards.look at them in a mirror and theyr fine.my screen guy is going 2 correct the screen this week 4 free.
total cost for one frame,the table,ink,squeege,thinners,cleaning soloution
was about �170. well worth it. my frame is gona need a little tweaking but i now know it can be done.
big thanks 2 donald and ohio and everyone else for giving me the pictures and text to get this far.
i could do with a copy of your templates donald.i live in England and would pay the necessary.it's gota be cheaper gettin it from germany than gettin it from usa.
leave word here if you could help me out.
i'll try and borrow a digital camera this week and show you the boards/screens etc.

If your reading this and havn't given it a shot yet,get of your arse and get crackin.
donald20
Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 6:37 pm Reply with quote
nice to hear that you succeeded.
send me an e-mail,don't forget to donate something to amorone though.
it's for a good cause...
ohio
Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 1:13 pm Reply with quote
yep would like to see youre stuff, i printed last week it was a blast. i working on my screen tensions so i can get it perfect. so what method did you do, did you used the aluminum frame on wood or did you glue the screen directly to the wood.
raagee
Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 3:32 pm Reply with quote
i just glued and stapled it to the wooden frame.my set up guy was whineing on about how impossible it would be.but im gona rig him 2moro and tell him it worked and get another couple of screens made up.Already got my mate wanting me to do him some mini logo boards for his shop.just gona keep it simple to start with and try some more technical stuff later. Sold my first 2 decks today.
mnewell
Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 3:41 pm Reply with quote
What do the graphics look like? I'd like to see a picture when you get a chance...

ohio
Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 6:57 pm Reply with quote
so you dont know the tension of the mesh you stretched? im guessing you did only one color because if you get techical you really should have the same tension on all the frames,
i have done small shit but its when you get to tip to tail complicted shit. did you do a flood coat yet?
you sound like the rest of us back in the fall really excited. get thoes pics up
johnnye
Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Man am I the last to know about all that is going down.. I tried to get all the info I could on screening decks a couple of years ago. I also tried to figure out how to make the molds for the presses. Anyways I made a frame but never got the mesh because I opted to just have the MFG. do it for me .. But I still want to screen. Now that I found this site I want more but it seems like everybody is not around any more.. What is up lets get movin again.. Is it tru you could make skateboard molds from epoxy resins? What about them screen templates I want them, Please contact me!! [email protected]
ohio
Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 2:55 am Reply with quote
i dont think its the fact that noone is around, its that its hard to do and if you dont know what youre doing or have never seen someone do it it gets frustrating, also its hard to get a template correct. On top of that try finding someone that you can gather info off of that does it for real not just one color or two but like 4 and 5 colors plus inks, tensions,
burning the screen, registration, ect...
im always here !
Lard
Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 12:09 am Reply with quote
The first moulds I made were fibreglass which is the same. I never used them but they looked sweet.the hardest part with mould making is the initial shape. Heres an idea. I sent ohio a email explaining how to make concrete moulds If he would forward it to you ,its a similar concept except you will have to have to sand the blank and send it down to your local furnature spraypanter and ask him to coat it with a two pot epoxy paint on the top and base. then down to the fibre glass shop ya go get him to make the moulds get them about an inch thick at the thinest point and it may be easier to get him to make the back of the moulds flat so that they fit your press . Fucken americans I am all the way on the other side of the world and have spent years working at this no one would help .the skateboard idustry evolved in the states and I cant beleave no one over there will help you guys. I know the knowledge base is over there . the greed involved in the industry these days is up the f#%* remember hooking up with the boys and riding till the early hours no compertition no greed . I know why dont we all sell our love out to Mattel. sorry about that boys but some times I get shited
primative
Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 12:22 am Reply with quote
fiberglass is what i based my molds on, then filled them with concrete. the best thing to do is buy a book on fiberglass. there are books about making molds for car parts. take that knowledge and make it work. fiberglass is cheap and so is concrete, so its just a matter of putting in work. there are things to look out for, but i'm no expert. so your better off finding your own way. i will anser any questions i can.

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next