SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  BUSINESS, SHOPS & RETAILERS  »  Advice and feedback wanted...can not believe I asked
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Advice and feedback wanted...can not believe I asked

TEAM_PING_AMORONE
Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 07 Jan 2002 Posts: 8345 Location: in front of a computer
I always get "stung" when I ask for opinions but here goes (haha)...Ok, first and foremost, I have ALWAYS been a staunch supporter of buying from your own local skate shop....your local scene keeps them in business and they keep the scene going by being in business....a symbiotic circle. For collectors though, local shops don't typically carry the older or discontinued decks. For those occassions, I can see ordering from somewhere else. I have recently been approached by a few of the larger online skate-shop/sites to become and "affiliate". Each one has different commission payouts if a customer comes to them through me. Now that is all fine and dandy. Here is the thing....should I do something like this? Or should I first make an open call for anyone who has such a site to submit their proposal and then pick from there? Or should I just drop it all together and let folks find decks online for themselves. Trust me, I am quite aware that these companies approaching me now have seen the articles about the site or heard via word of mouth and have seen the membership numbers pushing 2000 in less than a year, and it makes them drool over *new* prospects....I do have that leverage. What I like about AoS so much right now is that I am WHOLLY unbiased....no company or corp. behind me telling me to push this or that...to post this or that and not someone elses stuff...etc. I also am not too sure about sending people to buy from some site that I have no direct dealings with and don't know how ethical and reputable they are. This all make sense? Well....it might be that I just "affiliate" with several sites and let the customers decide where to buy...I get the commission regardless right? Just gotta make sure there is no kinda "non-compete" clause or anything in their agreements. Decisions....decisions......mmmm

A.
scs
Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 9:39 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Why get involved? Sounds like a pain in the ass, what if you are vouching for rawdist or along those lines??

Of course its about the money but write a book or something, magazine would be cool, if you are going to do something like that do it yourself and reap the profits instead of getting a small percentage of what they sell. Just a thought..
The Green Monkey
Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 2:45 am Reply with quote
Joined: 15 Jun 2002 Posts: 14107 Location: Fucking a giant scorpion, duh.
Sounds like it might be playing with fire, but if the money is obscene, it might be worth some careful thought. Just don't sell out cheaply.

Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Don't do it. If you need money, here's my plan: 1)Get a hold of Jason Jessee's t-shirt printing company. 2)Get Cliver to do a great graphic incorporating AOS. 3)Print Black t-shirts. 4)Spread the word. 5)Roll in dough, especially if Jessee is willing to have "The Driven" involved. I've printed shirts, you'll make a killing. We are suckers for t-shirts. That will get you some honest cash without eventual lashings.
www.theskateboardmuseum.c
Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 1:23 pm Reply with quote
amarone,
dont do it......lets talk. I could help you out with generating income. T-shirts and finer products sound great....

nh
Gusto
Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 2:31 pm Reply with quote
they will force you to add ad banners and pop ups and all the shit noone wants to see, and doesnt have to look at by going to your site. you do a good enough job by posting in the news about sites that take care of us or have a sweet deal. no need for them to be force feeding you what should be on your site. you will eventually lose all control.

the upside is we wont have to hear you whine about money for the site!!! JUST KIDDING. CHILL!!

ultimately it's your call, but it's pretty obvious what will happen. it may not be swift, but the downfalls are inevitable.

keep it grassroots, youve done damn good so far on your own ,why change?

my 2 cent

gangsta' gus.

break yo' self!

ps--i can do a graphic/logo for tshirts or the site or whatever you want to use it on. lettering is what i do best. you could pawn it off on the hip hop new school kids. let me know if interested.

[ This Message was edited by: Gusto on 2003-01-31 14:33 ]
TEAM_PING_AMORONE
Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 12:51 am Reply with quote
Joined: 07 Jan 2002 Posts: 8345 Location: in front of a computer
Thank you all....EXACTLY what I was thinking....just wanted to make sure I was right....as always. =) As far as money goes for the site or off the site, that was NEVER what it was about or is about...I can run it forever if it never makes a dime. The fact the everyone enjoys and uses it is payment enough. I just figured ....and seemed to be correct...that once it got going ,the vultures would circle and sure enough, they did. I had my suspicions about them and it seems you all more experienced folks in the business were quick to let me know I was correct. Thanks again. As for the other feedback....t-shirts? When I get time to come up with something. A Cliver design? Trying to twist his arm right now into designing a simple one color screen for a deck for the 1yr. anniversay. More on that to come. Any other ideas (Nick) , I am all ears. Thanks again and again and again for the feedback on this one....sincerely!

Chris
aka.Amorone
slob-air
Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 1:17 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63458 Location: S&B HQ
Amorone - I owned and operated a multi-media site focussed on the corporate consumer with an average of 115,000 unique hits a day. It was wildly popular up until I sold it following my back surgery. I used that java adrotator I designed that takes up one-sixth of the screen and it worked fabulously. No pop-ups and I didn't take shit from anyone -I also hand picked my advertisers. I would not consider that selling-out. Go for it.
bowlrider.com
Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Hey TP....Im kinda with slob I say go for it..... but of course approach it with a little caution..

Im sure you are aware of a few of the possible probs...Mainly letting those who advertise start to dictate what happens on the site...

If it is a simple banner exchange then no probs.. but if I go to your site, and start seeing pop-ups for vision street wear... I will be the first to pull my membership

I myself have concidered doing an affiliate set-up... but decided against it only because I didn't want to deal with it,

I wanted to keep the site just true to what I believe...I didn't want to end up putting a company's name on the site just because I would earn a few cents per click or maybe some gear that I had no use for...

Anyways...Just keep it real, and stay true to the sites main goal... and it should be cool....

I have a friend that does that for a living... (tries to get sites to advertise with banner ads) He almost had me convinced that I should and could be making money off my site... and Im sure any little bit helps.. but I didn't want to nickle and dime my way to my millions....

After what I was told about how that whole scheme works... I wasn't convinced that the pay-off was worth my time and effort...

Besides...Im Hate f'n pop-ups... and usually turn away from a site, never to visit again.. if I have to battle pop-up ads while visiting...

Also... that was the main reason I made myself a "legit" site... in the early days I tried geocities, and angelfire.. and the banners just erked me...

to this day... I don't visit zboys.com, or the ossj sites as much due to the advertisements, banners, and pop-ups..that angelfire uses..

[ This Message was edited by: bowlrider.com on 2003-02-04 14:36 ]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
slob-air
Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63458 Location: S&B HQ
hell no, do not even fall into the staid and stupid internet advertising conventions. Do what I did, sell it just like magazines and newspapers sell space: "You want access to the demographic that makes up my traffic? That'll be $xxxx.xx per week for a single banner that opens into your site in a new window.Take it or leave it, that's the only option I offer."

Use the adrotator (and there's positive benifit to that for the advertiser too) and you can reasonably sell 5-6 banners with little loss of screen for your site.

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next