SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED:  »  The Nike Reach Around
Page 3 of 5    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

The Nike Reach Around

Stubbs
Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:34 pm Reply with quote
IF, in 1977, 76, 75 (when skaters were wearing NIKES the first go around), NIKE had placed an ad in SKATEBOARDER, NIKE would have been considered shoes with which you could skateboard. Matter of fact, thinking back to then, ANY shoe in which you skated became a skateboard shoe, defacto.

What a lot of you can't seem to get past is the fact that there is an athletic shoe manufacturer out there (that has been made out to be a politically incorrect company for you, the supposed broad-minded skateboarder) that is making shoes called SKATEBOARD shoes.

If in 1970 whatever, NIKE had put out an ad touting the NIKE Bruin as a viable shoe with which to skateboard, NIKE would not be raising an eyebrow with any of you.
Slim
Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Sep 2003 Posts: 2954 Location: pedro point, nor cal
I think you're making a good point. It's just that, for better or worse, skateboarding has always had for many of us an issue of "style" and "tribe". We identified with certain groups of skaters, certain brands over other brands, and liked certain gear that had a certain style to it. Because skateboarding isn't a sport with defined rules and points and all that, how one does something and how they look doing it has always been at the forefront. (example: shogo kubo will always be ranked above tony hawk in most of our minds, despite hawks exponentially greater technical skating ability.)

Nike just doesn't fit in any category that I support in any facet of my life. On the other hand, I own tons of Adidas: soccer shoes, running shoes, tennis shoes, vintage sneakers, hi top super skates, low top super skates, etc. They are perhaps no better politically than Nike. But I've always prefered their style and so I buy them even though they violate one of my goals for consumer purchases (they are a huge corporation and the shoes are made in china).

One thing that needs mentioning, however, is that Adidas' business model does not include moving into the "hardgood" sporting goods category. Nike's does. We won't see Adidas muscling in and selling skateboards. Nike might. They have entered markets in the past that seemed totally closed to a "shoe company" like Nike before (golf for example), and I don't think this would be positive for the market.

But mainly, the reason I wouldn't wear Nike shoes for skateboarding is the same reason I wouldn't wear them for other sports: I just don't like their style and their image.

Shallow? Perhaps. But we have to make our choices somehow.

Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:59 pm Reply with quote

[url]

1979/ 80

*edit for dates

Last edited by Dodo on Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:29 am; edited 1 time in total
gogomouse1
Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:27 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!!!! YOUR SHOES WILL BE ASSIMILATED!!!!

[img]
[/img]
slob-air
Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:53 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
skaterbuilt wrote:
...Olson wore Suede Nike High-Tops.

No biggy...

dAvO

I had a pair of Leather Nike high tops in '79/'80 �some highschool jock made the mistake of thinking he could push around a a younger skatepunk. Beat the shit out of him and took his shoes as a trophy.

Those were pretty damn good skate shoes. Never bought a pair after they wore out though.

Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:54 am Reply with quote
just read this thread, & was pretty shocked, but then not really, by attitudes & misconceptions about cheap labor used in 3rd-world countries to make product for 1st-world counties.

in their situation, it is far from a simple honest free-market agreement between labor & corporation. in many of the places these multinational corporations go to set up a factory (& Nike is FAR from alone in this), it's the local labor who are desperate for the income, and ultimately grateful for it, but are none the less typically paid barely enough to survive, let alone put value back into their community to drag themselves our of poverty. it is explotation pure & simple.

their 3rd-world labor component is typically only a few percent of the 1st-world retail price - that is, you pay US$100, and the factory in 'timbuktu' gets US$1-3. the individual employee of course sees an even smaller fraction of that. the rest ($97+) is the advertising we all see, the buildings they work in, and the profit their share-holders make.

check out the doco "The Corporation", covers this & heaps of other truly eye-opening stuff.

anthony.
dancinwithdeath
Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Dodo wrote:

[url]

1977/ 78

that's a sick f'ing picture!

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:31 pm Reply with quote
slob-air wrote:
[quote="skaterbuilt
I had a pair of Leather Nike high tops in '79/'80 �some highschool jock made the mistake of thinking he could push around a a younger skatepunk. Beat the shit out of him and took his shoes as a trophy.

Those were pretty damn good skate shoes. Never bought a pair after they wore out though.

Just a good thing the "ass-kickee" wore the same shoe size.

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:56 pm Reply with quote
techydude wrote:
in their situation, it is far from a simple honest free-market agreement between labor & corporation. in many of the places these multinational corporations go to set up a factory (& Nike is FAR from alone in this), it's the local labor who are desperate for the income, and ultimately grateful for it, but are none the less typically paid barely enough to survive, let alone put value back into their community to drag themselves our of poverty. it is explotation pure & simple.
spot on .

techydude wrote:
check out the doco "The Corporation", covers this & heaps of other truly eye-opening stuff.
excellent program, have it on DVD.

my .02, albeit riding on the coat tails of another .02

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 25 Sep 2006 Posts: 643 Location: in your wives/daughters' room...
Dodo wrote:

[url]

1977/ 78

BUT, nike doesnt make shoes like that anymore, they make shoes like...

THIS?!

i'd totally skate those...seeing as how i skate sk8-his now anyway. look similar...

Page 3 of 5    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next