SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  BUSINESS, SHOPS & RETAILERS  »  Help fostering the relationship between shop and skaters
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Help fostering the relationship between shop and skaters

brianzig
Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:01 am Reply with quote
Here's the deal. I own a shop that will be open in the next few weeks (still waiting on a shoe vendor to give us the time of day). We are the only shop in our entire county and have a large base of skaters to work with. I know, what's the problem, you ask?

The scene is broke up into smaller groups or "teams" as they refer to themselves. Now, keep in mind that I have been hanging and meeting with these guys (and girls) for the better part of the last four months as we worked on getting the shop together. Our shop will end up being the center of the scene and we are looking for ideas to unify all these factions into one scene. As you are all familiar with, I field a ton of "sponsor me" or "put me on the team" requests everyday via our Myspace or website. Most don't even want anything other than to be part of our group. I even have some asking to work off their team discount.

Now, to make a long story short, what things have worked for you in the past for building your relationship with your shops and the skaters that shop there?

I already meet with them, skate with them, show up at spots and hand out water or product, and spend a bunch of time just answering their questions and talking with them. I'm also on the County Committee to help build a new park. But what else can I do to help build this scene into something any skater and shop could be proud of? Just my rambling thoughts and questions. I'm new here, but grateful for any and all input.
Thanks - Brian
scabby
Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Are you doing all of the communicating to the skaters yourself? You should find a couple of kids that you like and let them get your name out there as well. Give them some nice flow (discounts and free stuff if you can) and they may be able to reach out a little better. You need to step out of the way and see if there are any kids that are down for your shop/scene. A lot of the really good local rippers at the parks near my house are also the same kids stocking the shelves at the local shops and taking inventory etc. Other kids look up to them and it leaves you with the important stuff like running your shop. Kids all want free stuff and chances are they are nagging the other shops or local teams to get on their teams. This is what I have observed recently in my quest to get a bricks and mortar shop established. I talked to a couple of the local kids and asked them why they buy from shop x and not shop y etc and believe it or not it is usually because shop x is cheaper. Anyway some of my observations. Hope it helps...good luck. Scabby

http://www.thesoulmachine.com

auragreg
Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 31 Aug 2004 Posts: 2382 Location: Highland, Michigan, USA, Earth
I've found that, no matter what, you are going to have shit talk. You'll have a group of skaters hate you for no reason. They will continue to go to the shop they went to before. But that's ok. Just don't get caught up in it and treat the kids who like you and support you good. And dont talk crap about the other shops. You'll probably find that the other owners really have no probelm with you either.

I think it's an good idea to get these "teams" to come together, in theory. But in reality, I don't think it will happen. You always have kids who have certain friends. You'll have kids who hate another kid. Sure it would be cool to sponsor a kid from each group to try to bring them together, but unless you MAKE them skate together, they will still skate with their existing friends. And your team won't be tight. And believe me, if you have in-fighting in the team, it sucks.

Anyway. Get to know some of them really well and "sponsor" the ones who you think will represent you the best. Those kids will talk you up the best becasue they like you and want you to succeed.

If you get the wrond kids on your team, they will be in for their free and flow stuff and you'll never see the benefits of it. You'll end up giving away stuff for nothing in return. Besides, these kids will be hanging in your shop A LOT! ... If you don't like them, you'll be kicking them off the team quick. And that is NEGATIVE press that will carry fast thru the local skating community.

I see my sponsored team as representatives of my shop. I expect them to talk up the shop and get the shop name out there. In return, they get a deck a month and 20% off purchases. Essentially, it's an advertising expense. And what better advertising than word of mouth?

I, in no way, are trying to make it sound like I sponsor kids to use them. The kids I sponsor are kids I really think are talented and I like to have them around. I skate with them and give them all the respect they deserve. In return, they help me around the shop. If the shop starts doing well, they will have self satisfaction that they were there since the beginning. And I try to reward them as best I can.

Support skateboard art/artists: http://www.etsy.com/shop/BurbSkateboards
auragreg
Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:59 pm Reply with quote
oh yeah ... and dont even get me started with shoes .... it's a f'ing joke what a pain in the ass it is and how the "skate" shoe companies will make it so hard for a skate shop to carry them, but will sell to a PacSun.

i could rant forever about it. .... it's all about if you can afford the minimums.

westcoastcrush
Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:01 pm Reply with quote
screen out the druggies, thugs, and thieves. They represent your store and will be wearing your shirts. I don't care how good a kid is... if he contributes to the negative sterotypes of the typical skaters, then he will be a pain in your ass as well as the community. Don't let the kids hanging out in your shop give attitude to other kids coming in the shop just cause they think they are posers, geeks, or whatever. Kids are constanly fighting with each other, gossipy, like to spread malicious rumors, steal, and talk shit. You may have to ban a few, but once they know what your expectations are and that you are willing to enforce it, they will sort of behave themselves. Try to get the other shops involved in hosting contests with you, and never talk shit about them. If you don't have something in stock, send them to your competitor. It will come back around to you in a positive way. Promote skateboarding first, and everything else will fall into place... Good luck!

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:07 pm Reply with quote
try VK Skate for getting started w/ shoes... $500 min. order, not a great selection but it's better than the $5000 opening order bullshit, and the your $ is'nt green enough for us attitude even though they're all selling overpriced made in china fall apart soon crap...

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:07 am Reply with quote
westcoastcrush wrote:
try VK Skate for getting started w/ shoes... $500 min. order, not a great selection but it's better than the $5000 opening order bullshit, and the your $ is'nt green enough for us attitude even though they're all selling overpriced made in china fall apart soon crap...

Thanks Chris! Calling them today to place an order.
brianzig
Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:16 am Reply with quote
westcoastcrush wrote:
screen out the druggies, thugs, and thieves. They represent your store and will be wearing your shirts. I don't care how good a kid is... if he contributes to the negative sterotypes of the typical skaters, then he will be a pain in your ass as well as the community. Don't let the kids hanging out in your shop give attitude to other kids coming in the shop just cause they think they are posers, geeks, or whatever. Kids are constanly fighting with each other, gossipy, like to spread malicious rumors, steal, and talk shit. You may have to ban a few, but once they know what your expectations are and that you are willing to enforce it, they will sort of behave themselves. Try to get the other shops involved in hosting contests with you, and never talk shit about them. If you don't have something in stock, send them to your competitor. It will come back around to you in a positive way. Promote skateboarding first, and everything else will fall into place... Good luck!

Excellent advice! Thanks! The greatest downfall of a shop (IMHO) is the elitist attitude. My wife refuses to even go into some stores (not just skate shops, bike shops are especially bad) because they have made her feel uncomfortable. I've already told everyone that it won't be tolerated. We are trying to be a family oriented shop and the elitest bs can be left at the door. My other job (yeah, keeping my day job) is as a youth worker for a non-profit in the town the shop is in. I already have a sort of heads up on who's who and a built in report with a large number of the kids that come in. They know me and who I am. They also know that I know most of their parents.
westcoastcrush
Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:22 pm Reply with quote
if things get a little crazy... and there's a good chance they might, do what most city run teen centers do... anyone who wants to hang out has to fill out a contact card with address, parents names & #'s, and keep that on file. If they know you have the recourse of calling their parents, or give the cops their info, it will help. My crew is currently banned from the tv and hanging out do to theft, graffiti vandalism of neighboring businesses, fights, and too much talk about drugs, sex, and violence in the store. Not good for business. Don't tolerate it even a little because it will get worse. Sounds like your doing everything right and are off to a good start! Shoot me a msg. if you have any ?'s, I'm more than happy to help shorten the length of someone elses learning curve if I can... -Chris

Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:56 pm Reply with quote
westcoastcrush wrote:

I filled out an app online, but never heard back... are they slow to get back on new apps?

What brand shoes do they have?

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next