SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  DOWNHILL / SPEEDBOARDING / LONGBOARDS  »  help me buy a set-up.....................
Page 3 of 4    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

help me buy a set-up.....................

charley
Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:18 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
That thing looks sweet. It looks more or less like it's built for speed.

Hell even Slob knows a great deal about these. You can ask him.
JCryan
Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone tried/considered a set-up with two different pairs of wheels and/or two different trucks?

Would there be an application for such a set-up?

I only ask because the picture I included of the Lush "Spooky" made it look as though the wheels and trucks on the back of the deck where smaller (due to the angle in which the photo was taken).
JCryan
Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:32 pm Reply with quote
JCryan wrote:
Has anyone tried/considered a set-up with two different pairs of wheels and/or two different trucks?

Would there be an application for such a set-up?

Scratch those questions, I've found the answers in another thread.
Slim
Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:06 am Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Sep 2003 Posts: 2954 Location: pedro point, nor cal
I don't know what trucks you are used to but you may like them just fine on a longboard as well. I've had all the Randals - 150s on a comet 40", 180s on my pintail longboard and the downhill randals as well that I've put on for stability at speed (not that I'm a speed demon).

But you know, I recently picked up an old 40" Think longboard from Blackhart and I set it up with Indys and 65mm Rainskates and you know, I like it a lot more than I ever liked the randal equipped boards. I guess I'm just used to the way Indys turn and I figure they are plenty stable for carving down hills and skating ditches and whatever else I can do on this longboard. I think as long as I keep it under 35 or so, it's not going to wobble at all anyway even with 169s. 215s on a wider board with hard bushings would probably be stable to higher speeds even. Anyway, it's a sweat ride! Gravity makes similar shapes if you're interested in that kind of thing: basically just a big popsicle 40" long, 9" wide, flipped nose and tail.

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:59 am Reply with quote
JCryan wrote:
Steve,

What benifits do the Holey trucks hold over than Randalls?

http://www.bonelessone.com/mtype/arch.../000127.html#more
http://www.skullandbonesskateboards.c...p;highlight=holey

Friends who have them love 'em also (but I ride Indy 101s!).
JCryan
Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:17 am Reply with quote
Thanks Steve, exactly the info I was looking for.
gogomouse1
Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:30 pm Reply with quote
for a first longboard, make sue you get one with a kicktail, they're much more versitile.also, some softer wheels with good bearings.... Abec 11 makes the best wheels (so many combinations of them).Right now I've been riding Excate trucks, great for carving, VERY tight turning radius... and ABEC 11 Retro Bertz ( I know, too small of a diameter, but I dig those wheels) on a homemade 38" board with just enough flex for my 250+ fat ass..... good flex is important.
Slim
Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:44 pm Reply with quote
gogomouse1 wrote:
Abec 11 makes the best wheels

That's a can of worms... There is no "best" wheel, just personal preferences depending on road surface, type of skating, size of skater, style, speed, and tolerance for buying wheels from goofballs vs. buying from hardcore skateboarders.

In addition to Abec 11, there are great soft wheels for "longboarding" and "downhill" marketed (none of these companies "make" wheels) by many companies, among them:

3DM/Seismic
Comet
Gravity
Sector 9
Satori
Kryptonics
Landyachtz

and my favorites...
Manx (pocket pistols)
Rainskates

You can even have great fun on wheels not specifically made for downhill by companies like Bones/Powell, BDS, Tunnel, etc.

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Okay....I haven't ridden every wheel out there.... so-

"IN MY OPINION, Abec makes the best wheels"

they do make a wide range of sizes, shapes, duros, etc., and Chris Chaput is a good guy who is, IMHO, not just cranking out wheels for a buck, but someone who actually cares about skating...
and yes, I've been riding Kryptos for going on 30 years now, and I've tried 3DM's on a slalom board and dug 'em. My buddy swears by his Rainskates Tsunami's.....

it seems to me, the original poster of this thread wanted people's opinions, and that's mine.
Slim
Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:46 pm Reply with quote
gogomouse1 wrote:
and Chris Chaput is a good guy...

And there is another can of worms! He's certainly a good slalom and downhill skater and does come up with some great wheel designs and has what is already showing to be an awesome new slalom truck design as well. But I'm sick of the way he treats people - whether it be attacking another skater from behind on the slalom hill with a total cheap shot in front of said skaters kid or attacking people with words that go way over the line on ncdsa or other forums - and I will not own any of his wheels any longer. If that makes me slower, then so be it. There are more important things in life. I'd rather my money go to the good guy owners of PocketPistols and Rainskates.

Page 3 of 4    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next