SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SCREEN PRINTING  »  What kind of finish is on my board?
Page 1 of 4    Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

What kind of finish is on my board?

kxmotox247
Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I don't have any pictures. So let me describe it. It's a fairly new deck that was lightly skated. Where the tail is scuffed, the finish has flaked off exposing raw wood. It's a transparent finish that is glossy. I don't think it's a stain because the color doesn't go into the wood. But yet you can see through it.
When I look at the board, it looks like the finish has been "wiped" on. I can't tell if there is clear on it or not...it is glossy.

Question 1: What is the finish on the wood?
Question 2: Can I touch it up?
Question 3: If I wanted to clear over the entire board, what should I use so that the new clear doesn't react with the finish underneath?
olivelawn
Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 1:00 pm Reply with quote
I have a similar situation on my hensley. There are some good answers in the thread I started on blurry prints. I didn't quite get the answers I was looking for though, so those in the know please respond.
Juarez
Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:14 pm Reply with quote
This actually sounds exactly like what happens to heat transfers. They come off in sections, unlike what normally happens to painted boards. There is no finish, so to speak, as the transfer is basically sitting on top of bare wood.
kxmotox247
Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I don't really know what it is...that's why I'm asking you guys. I don't think it's a heat transfer. I think it's screened.

What else could it be?

ohio
Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 9:12 pm Reply with quote
ok here is how a board is made
1) its pressed
2) its cut on a band saw or cnc machine
3) it is routed (the edges) with a router or cnc router.
4) holes are drilled and the boord is sanded lightly.
after all this comes the parts where you guys want to know so listen carefully.
a raw wood board has to be sealed or it will warp due to different climates, this is done with a nitrocellulos lacure you can get this anywhere, but is has to be nitrocellulos for that hard, shinny finish. not out of the can shit. usually one coat sand another coat. paint will usually seal a board also if it is painted entirely. i have notice that sometimes yes when you slide and shit it does flake alittle that is the lacure comiing off. some boards i have seen are lacured on one side the top and since they are screen totally on the bottom the consider this sealing, this i have seen in the alien workshop boards. it makes sense because the ink sticks better. as for heat transfers it is special paper that is printed on a high resolution printer and then stuck on the board, ran through a heat transfer machine which is like a large hair dryed and it adheres to the deck thats why it may come off in pieces. after the the transfer is on the board it is carefully trimmed on the edges because it comes square out of the printer its just like putting grip tape on the bottom you have to cut off the excess.
anyhow moving on... if you want to redo the board and it is not to beat you will need lacure thinner. this takes off any finish weather it be screen printing ink, paint, or the previous lacure.you spray it on and wait a sec and rub it takes a while but it disolves all the finish. you need to sand it smooth and then either relacure, paint, or screen it. i have seen people lacure over graphics and it works too. youre preference but most use screen ink as the final step.
I forgot there all lacures called sherwood made by sherwinn williams that i hear is good the shewood lacure, or sherwood kemaqua which is a new water based lacure, this means that you dont need lacure thinner to clean you spray gun after you are finished.
Now on to spray guns... for all the lacure finish you will need a air compressor and a spray gun. I have a campbell hausfeld and it works good. Takes a litte time to figure out the spraying techniques like pressure to spray at but they are super fun to use especially when you do like 20 boards and they do a professional job because thats is how the real deal guys do it. u could also us a brush but whatever. if you have any more questions lets here em.

olivelawn
Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 3:01 am Reply with quote
I assume you also need a spray gun for the the nitrocellulos lacure?
kxmotox247
Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 8:05 am Reply with quote
So...Can you color tint the lacure? Or is the color applied over the top of the lacure later?
ohio
Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 10:41 am Reply with quote
you need a spray gun for everything pretty much you can used a brush if you are doing like one board but i dont so i dont know how it turns out. color the lacure? the lacure is a sealer to seal the board and make a glossy finish i have only used clean. i have screened on lacured boards and unlacured boards the screen ink sticks better to bare wood but to entirelly seal the board spray the whole board. If you are painting the board lets say white for example you just spray the board a latex or oil based white gloss enamel on bare wood. you can screen on this then.
kxmotox247
Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 11:46 am Reply with quote
Ohio...you've helped out quite a bit. However, I'm still a little confused.
If the color of my board is transparent and glossy, and definately not a stain, then what is it? Is it a colored lacure?
Is it some kind of color over the transparent lacure. The only other way to describe it is it looks like the color is wiped on with a rag resulting in a few darker streaks of a more pure color.
Maybe I'll see if I can get to a camera sometime. But I don't know how to post pics anyway.
Thanks for the help.

p.s. does anyone know anything about urethane clears?

[ This Message was edited by: kxmotox247 on 2003-04-03 11:47 ]
olivelawn
Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Hold on, hold on. You can't brush the laquer on 'cause it'll leave brush strokes. right? Has anyone tried brushing it on? I have a feeling you won't be pleased with the results.

Does anyone have a cheap spray gun the they want to sell? And a compressor? I am not sure what kind I need. Will I also be able to do more detailed work with it?

Page 1 of 4    Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next